Once in a lifetime opportunity? Help!

Hello all,

I’m new to this forum, FYI. I got back to the hobby for a short period of time back in 2017, collected a little, and then had to stop due to having babies, moving, etc. There just wasn’t much personal time. Joined back into it in 2020 and it felt like I was grabbing on to a runaway train. I was a Pokemon kid back in the late ninties, so it is very nostalgic for me. Basically my question is as follows. I recently sold my house and acquired some capital. Some of it will be used in the future to purchase another house, but not all needs to be. I had an opportunity to purchase a 1st edition jungle and team rocket booster boxes from someone I recently met and trust. As a matter of fact I’ve seen one of this persons 1st edition gym heros boxes opened and it was legit. I’m always leery of buying on eBay for items this expensive because of the scam possibility. The person offered to sell me these boxes at 14k per, which is high but is below the “current” market price. I’m more of a collector, but when spending this amount of money I can’t help but also think as an investor…I have a family and may one day be forced to sell. So do I go for it in today’s market??? I’m so torn. I can think of good reasons to do so, and reasons not to. The market is so inflated! We are already seeing movement downward since October of last year on vintage box prices. There are a lot of people on Youtube talking about bubbles bursting…and though a correction has already begun who really knows or far or how little the price will fall… on the other hand…how often do you have an opportunity to buy boxes this relatively rare from a 100% trusted source? And below FMV at that?

What are you thoughts? Is that a good deal, or would you hold off? Is now a terrible time to buy at that price or will vintage pokemon sealed product be even higher in 10-20 years… I only have a few days to decide… would you help?

Welcome here @jastroud18, questions like yours need to be posted here: www.elitefourum.com/t/the-giant-english-market-thread/27424/1

1 Like