Is purchasing and holding onto tins/boxes a good idea?

I’m unsure if this is the correct placement for these set of questions, but I hope so. I certainly wouldn’t want to botch my first post on this nice forum.

I’ve just recently gotten back into Pokemon collecting (I sure know how to time stuff wonderfully) and have made a couple of purchases for some of the older TV and movie cards. I’m just glad I stumbled upon this site from a YouTube video. It took me freaking 3 months to find it, but here I finally am.

I was mostly coming onto here to keep learning about cards, newer upcoming things, and overall discussion. I’m pretty sure I find 300+ new cards every step I take on Ebay. I’m still trying to process how I missed out on a Mario Pikachu card existing for this long.

Anyways, my main questions here are, put simply;

Would purchasing tins and/or boxes (or even packs) and holding onto them, be a good idea or return on investment?

Or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

I realize the boxes that go up in value to extremes are the exclusive ones from Japan, and the older ones here that weren’t purchased to oblivion. I just was curious moving forward if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a couple around, when they end up moving on to other things in a while. Just thought I’d run it by people that know far more than me, if I was sort of on a decent path or idea. I really love collecting cards and things I like too, so this isn’t all about money…but I also like money.

Thanks.

Depends on the product you’re looking to buy. I wouldn’t worry as much about making or losing money. The most important thing is buying something that you’re genuinely interested in, and that you’re able to hold long term. Majority of sealed Pokémon items will show growth in a long term setting, especially vintage

I would make this type of post in the giant English market thread

@theghost, www.elitefourum.com/t/before-you-post-a-thread-in-price-and-market-discussion/29138/1