No pokemon runescape names available..

For those of you that know runescape you may find this interesting!

I’ve been playing osrs lately and while playing I saw a dude named “Bob”. Those that play will know seeing an actual name just by itself is very rare, as all those were taken many years ago in the very early days when the game came out. I’ve only ever seen a couple! Not many play anymore I would guess. Its very rare to see any short single words too like fork, or death, guitar, flower, and stuff like that.

So I got to thinking, I wonder if any single pokemon names were available! I ended up being very let down haha…
There was not one single pokemon in the first two generations available… yes I did individually type each one of the entire first generation in to see of the name was available for a new account! I was pretty shocked and super bummed that was the case! I thought for sure at least a couple of the unpopular ones would be available. I’m not sure if that means they are taken or the game simply just doesn’t allow it to be a name. But charizard and pikachu are both actual accounts already, I looked them up in the hiscores to see. So at least some were used!

Butttt there was some alternatives available I found! The name “Light espeon” was available! And many dark pokemon names were available too! And variations of “PSA 10” xxxxxx or “PSA 9” xxxxxx were available as well. I didnt make it yet but I got dibs on the light espeon, so dont go taking that one from me!

I found it kinda fun sitting there trying to think of cool names and seeing if they were available! If anyone is feeling ambitious, feel free to try the next generations after 2 and see if anything is available!

If anyone on here plays add me! My name on there is The goat.

Have a good one everybody!

2 Likes

I played on the name Wizard and “L” back in 07, the accounts would be traded like lollies on a playground.

2 Likes

Love me some OSRS! I only get on to pk, which IMO is the absolute most fun thing to do.

dude those are both epic names! Wizard is super awesome! And I have never seen an account with a single character name! Do you still have them both?

I suck at pking haha, it looks like alot of fun though!

1 Like

Wizard would have been the ultimate name for a mage pure

2 Likes

Oh no they are long gone. L would be bought and sold and recovered like no tomorrow. From memory my relative was the middleman of the sale of the account while i was staying over at his place.

And Wizard was sold shortly after purchase.

I mostly just went to the wizard tower in blue robes and watched people click on me. Wasted opportunity for the best pure haha.

2 Likes

5 Likes

On a fun note, I don’t think anyone would want their username to be PSA 10 … lol.

On a side note, some 1-2 character names are bought and sold for real money or high amounts of OSRS money; I have a friend who bought a 2-character name for 200M GP. Some account marketplaces actually sell 3-5 character usernames for real money, too. Runescape has done it’s time, always nostalgic, it’ll never go away if you played in 07+.

On a serious note: selling rune scim 25k

4 Likes

I actually have a guy on my friends list with the name Ivysaur who is on all the time. I’ve been after the name lukee for some time now but the guy is still active so I’m gonna be waiting a long time to get it as he wont sell it to me either.

1 Like

I used to treat special usernames with high regard but that was quashed when the European version of a game I used to play called MapleStory merged with the North American version. My most active character’s name was literally “Character” and I’d been playing on it on and off for about 3 years, but after the merge it had been converted into something like “0459835#698” with a prompt after login that I had to rename my character. Naturally “Character” was no longer available.

Some games like WoW also cull inactive players quite frequently, freeing up names which have long been unused. It wouldn’t surprise me if Runescape follows suit if it’s still active in 3-5 years from now.

1 Like

They do have name purges for inactive accounts but they are fairly infrequent and all you have to do to prevent your name being taken if you havent logged in for a long time is log in once and you preserve the name for another x years.

I used the name PSA10GEMMINT on MapleStory mobile for a side character!

Also rare usernames are a fun topic in general. There was a fun one on Reply All about how a girl had her username (“Lizard”) stolen on Snapchat and how there’s a black market in general for desirable usernames.

1 Like

Played the game up until around 5th grade and tried coming back to it during my college years. Sadly, my account was purged and I had to start over again. The true circle of life.

1 Like

Whoa, lizard is a cool name! So the day after I made this thread I looked into it and there is indeed a very active and kind of big market for “rare” names on a website called sythe. I shouldn’t of been surprised but I was haha. It looks like most names sell for in game currency. Theft and other shenanigans are pretty frequent from what I gathered from browsing the forum for a little while. Hopefully one day I can have a rare name!

1 Like

It’s totally awesome. On that note, I have www.facebook.com/snorlax which often ends up being easier to get people to find than my actual name!

2 Likes

I started with the name Roselia about 15 years ago, didn’t play for a long time and when returned somehow I couldn’t use the name anymore. I still have my account (and skill levels) but had to create a new name. I took rosereturns, not playing recently but someday I might. I prefer OSRS but they removed starhunting to bad.