No Damage Ninetales Origin

hey guys, I generally lurk just checking out cool collections on web forums and YouTube and I’ve seen multiple times now people wondering where the ninetales error came from. Almost like the origin is some kind of myth. Well I do actually have a small collection from 1999 and the ninetales error is one of the cards I have. My small collection consists of an unlimited base set that is almost completely shadowless. When I was 14 in 1999, I actually remember seeing the shadowless cards transition into shadowed border unlimited and being annoyed with it enough to actually attempt to seek out shadowless cards, because I didn’t like the discrepancy in my binder. I was never able to completely get them all shadowless, but I’m trying to tell you why I have a very good memory of the shadowless cards in the first place.

So I started collecting Pokémon cards when my mother bought me a brushfire deck and a few packs for my 14th birthday in April 1999. My first 2 holos were the ninetales from the brushfire deck and a shadowless chansey from one of the packs. I immediately upgraded my brushfire deck with the chansey and started playing the Game with a few friends and at my local comic shop. I specifically had to explain many times that the ninetales did 80 damage, because it was missing on the card. I later acquired more ninetales cards and eventually put the no damage ninetales in my collection binder attempting to get all shadowless cards in the set.

I stopped my Pokémon collecting sometime into jungle fossil, and stored my binder and deck away, only to retrieve them fairly recently and started lurking around the internet to reminis a bit. This is where I’ve seen people refer to the shadowless brushfire deck as a potential origin for the ninetales with no damage, and I figure people might find it interesting If I told you that this is in fact where I got it as one of my first 2 holo cards.

I imagine many of you probably have pretty vivid memories of your first holo card!

6 Likes

Wow thats a great story, and certainly adds credibility to the theory that they come from the Brushfire decks

Yes, that’s where my first couple came from too. In fact, I was selling on Yahoo Auctions back then and got a return on one.

Cool, do you recall if they came out of the gold strip decks?

2 Likes

No damage Ninetales can only come from two sources: packs and/or Brushfire decks. What we are missing is video or picture proof of someone opening it ‘live’ to either narrow it down or say definitively they come from both etc.

1 Like

When I was reading the OP I was thinking the same thing. It would be interesting. I’ve tried to find Bushfire decks with the gold strip recently but no luck.

Didn’t I have one? In my theme deck auction?
With my error ninetales they came out of the earliest themes but I didn’t pay attention back then to the gold strips.

The packaging eludes my memory, but I think only comming from the early theme deck makes the most sense specifically because there are so few ninetales in amazing condition. People probably bought up all the earliest theme decks specifically to play the game and this damaged most of them.

Makes sense that they only appear in the Theme Deck as well as that’s how WotC made sheets. Each them deck had it’s own sheet so likely during that process the damage was omitted and later corrected.

I’m sure finding first run theme decks is rare. And opening them is even rarer yet. Perhaps we’ll never have video confirmation of this but the story makes perfect sense to me.

2 Likes

This was a great read. I too would be interested if anyone can verify the gold strip theme deck story line. I assume gold strips were the first produced. Any thoughts?

Well I literally just opened a Gold Strip Brushfire Deck like a month or two ago?..

Sadly, it didn’t have the error card inside. It did however have that lovely glue that ruins the card and makes it an auto 6 :blush:

4 Likes