Nintendo Hanafuda Pokemon Cards

Came across some Nintendo Hanafuda Pokemon cards on eBay that I knew little about, so I decided to research and compile some information here. I’d be curious to poll the audience and see what collective knowledge you all may have! After searching the forums, I see less than 10 posts that even mention the word ‘Hanafuda’. I’m not sure if these were just a small release that no one seems to know/care about or if they are so ubiquitous they are as valuable as grains of sand. But the prices on eBay reflect otherwise, and some of the artwork is absolutely awesome!

Please add to the discussion if you have any information! :grin: Maybe if we compile enough info we can make this an article/doc for future reference. Pretty pictures to follow :+1:

For starters, the card I came across was this one:

I’m a bit of a Psyduck fan, so this immediately caught my eye. Apparently, these are also a gradable item for PSA with a case that fits these cards well. For reference, the cards are (perhaps obviously) smaller than the “standard” card size. According to this Wikipedia article on Hanafuda, the cards are only 2+1⁄8 by 1+1⁄4 inches in size, and individual cards correlate to months of the year within the set, hence the ‘January’ designation on the Psyduck PSA label. The cards corresponding to a given month also are traditionally formed around a particular flower or plant (note the December Pikachu and Kanto Starters cards below both feature the same flower) . Some other artworks currently listed up for auction on eBay in PSA labels include:

For reference, the word “hanafuda” translates to “flower cards”, and thus the types of cards these parallel in Japanese culture might look something like this:

In terms of population, these appear to be quite rare, or at least not very widely graded, and even more so for the 2013 cards. As of the time of this writing, the Kanto Starters card from 2013 has a PSA pop of 2 (one in a 10, one in a 9). The Mario Pikachu from 2016 shows a total PSA pop of 49, of which 33 are PSA 10s:

From what I have gathered thus far, these were cards released in Japan exclusively at Pokemon centers by Nintendo in 2013 and 2016. For the history buffs out there, when Nintendo was founded in 1889, the very first product they produced was hanafuda cards and is part of what led to their entrance into the toy community years later. A picture showing both the full 2013 and 2016 sets can be seen here (credit to @jaxlax21):

An entire Wiki describing Japanese Hanafuda playing cards and their associated games can be viewed here (credit to @Dyl), as well as the below table showing common games (also credit to @Dyl):

Traditional Games Players Family Style Origin
Go-Stop, a.k.a. Godori 2-3 per round, max 7 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Korea
Hachi-Hachi (“Eighty-Eight”), a.k.a. Yokohama-Bana 2-3 per round, max 7 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Yokohama, Japan
Hana-Awase 2-4 Fishing Mekuri-kei Japan
Koi-Koi usually 2 Fishing Mekuri-kei Disputed
Mushi, a.k.a. Ochi 2 per round, max 4 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Osaka, Japan
Oicho-Kabu, a.k.a. Kaho or Katori 2-10 Banking Kabu-kei, Honbiki-kei Japan
Roppyakken, a.k.a. Roppyakkuken or Roppyakuten 2-3 Fishing Mekuri-kei Japan
Sakura, a.k.a. Higo-Bana or Hawaiian Hanafuda 2-7 Fishing Mekuri-kei Higo Province, Japan
Seotda, a.k.a. Sutda 2-20 Showdown Kabu-kei Korea

Hopefully someone finds this informative or useful! If you appreciate Japanese culture (which I think we all probably do to some extent), Japanese artwork, and unique Pokemon items, these may be a good collection piece. As mentioned above, please feel free to add any and all information (or take away incorrect information); I’d definitely like to learn more about these :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

I had no idea that PSA graded these! I know there is a Greninja one that I had discovered a while back, I had passed on looking more into it because it was outside of my goals. Plus, at the time it looked like only BGS graded them. Might have to look into it some more.

1 Like

Thought about taking the full box months ago when I first discovered those cause the artwork are sublime.
But the size is just so damn small I don’t think they looks great in a binder…

1 Like

The artwork on these is very cool. I am interested what others know about them. Like why so small?

1 Like

They are standard size for Hanafuda cards, super tiny cards.

1 Like

Found a picture off Reddit where someone got both the 2016 Mario Pikachu and 2013 set framed respectivley. Looks incredible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Hanafuda/comments/txxh44/pokémon_hanafuda/

11 Likes

Now we are talking!

1 Like

Hanafuda playing cards are used for games and not just aesthetics! There’s an entire Wiki on the cards: Hanafuda | Fuda Wiki

Here are some common games that use hanafuda cards. I believe Koi-Koi and Hachi-Hachi are the most well-known.

Traditional Games Players Family Style Origin
Go-Stop, a.k.a. Godori 2-3 per round, max 7 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Korea
Hachi-Hachi (“Eighty-Eight”), a.k.a. Yokohama-Bana 2-3 per round, max 7 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Yokohama, Japan
Hana-Awase 2-4 Fishing Mekuri-kei Japan
Koi-Koi usually 2 Fishing Mekuri-kei Disputed
Mushi, a.k.a. Ochi 2 per round, max 4 per game Fishing Mekuri-kei Osaka, Japan
Oicho-Kabu, a.k.a. Kaho or Katori 2-10 Banking Kabu-kei, Honbiki-kei Japan
Roppyakken, a.k.a. Roppyakkuken or Roppyakuten 2-3 Fishing Mekuri-kei Japan
Sakura, a.k.a. Higo-Bana or Hawaiian Hanafuda 2-7 Fishing Mekuri-kei Higo Province, Japan
Seotda, a.k.a. Sutda 2-20 Showdown Kabu-kei Korea
3 Likes

These are really cool cards.

I found an article from 2013 speaking about the details of a preorder. It was 2500 yen for a deck and 15100 yen for an uncut framed collection of them.

This site points to a now dead website pokemon-hanafuda.com. Looking at the Wayback Machine, it looks like the site stopped being hosted some point in 2018 and started redirecting to a junk site until the domain expired. On the 2018 site, there is a products page which details all the products they had for sale at that point.

Not a full set list but could definitely be used to derive one + understand the release / rarity structure.

1 Like

Wow! That’s incredible. Love the look of those all together. Not to mention the frame is pretty cool, it would look great with normal Pokemon cards as well.

This is great info! I knew they were for games but didn’t really know to what extent. Basically just like playing cards we have in the U.S., except way better looking, better made, and culturally significant :wink: Looks like the months are also associated with an individual flower/plant as well.

1 Like

Added edits to include more pictures of graded cards as well consolidate the contributions from posts above into the top post - thanks for the additional info @jaxlax21 @Dyl @hcd!!!

2 Likes

I find this comment a bit funny because a lot of Nintendo’s history is tied to western style playing cards :wink:

Admittedly this blog isn’t 100% related to the thread topic, but it’s a great read for anyone interested in Nintendo’s pre video game days, including some info on their playing cards/hanafuda.

For anyone interested in the designs of 2013 deck, it seems to have released with a lot of merch alongside it which might be a cheaper (not card) alternative.

1 Like

Keep seeing these in my saved searched and it feels like these are the new old maid cards in that PSA recently started grading them and everyone’s rushing in to get that juicy PSA 10 premium.

1 Like

Agreed, I’ve been seeing tons of them on eBay and PWCC.

A Pop 1 Greninja one showed up on PWCC fixed price for way more than I’d feel comfortable doing. :expressionless:

Wait a few months and the pop will be much higher :slight_smile:

I’m still not sure if they’re really worth what some of them are going for (or atleast maybe not worth it to me) but I will say I see plenty of designs that I really like, so I don’t blame people for wanting to snatch them up. Definitely entering niche territory.

I am sure, I had no idea PSA even graded these till this thread 1st popped up.

Not gonna lie I bid on the Porygon/Grimer one last PWCC block and at some point it snapped that I was bidding on a 2"x1" piece of cardboard encased in plastic and I walked away from the computer to think about life.

3 Likes