Nintendo Hanafuda Pokemon Cards

I’ve played Hanafuda quite a bit and it’s quite a fun game once you get the hang of it. I’ve mostly played it digital and tried a few times with the actual cards but they’re just so dang small that I have a hard time playing with them. The Pokemon Hanafuda cards are so cute, I would love to own a set.

These are definitely not as abundant as the old maid cards. Sealed decks have skyrocketed and the 2013 sets are going for around 120k yen or ~$920/48 = around $20/card. The Mario/Luigi hanafuda are much harder to find in the wild right now and more expensive. They were recently showcased in PSA magazine which definitely added to awareness that they exist. I do like some of the art but they are too small individually for my liking (if anything would like to frame the full set).

3 Likes

I bought the Mario and Luigi Pikachu hanafuda decks instead of the promo TCG boxes because I was poor as f back then. Have felt bad ever since but finally seeing some STONKs is hilarious to me. Can’t believe people are grading the individual cards.

3 Likes

Someone got the whole Mario Pikachu set graded!! :eyes:

2 Likes

Wow! A hefty price tag too. But would definitely for a unique and 1 of 1 collection quickly! Some of these are slowly growing on me.

I’m hoping enough of these are graded so I can snag the Greninja by itself for a decent price.

1 Like

When did these increase in price so much? I have two sets of the normal pokemon hanafuda cards that I bought for 8,250 and 12,000 yen almost exactly two years ago. I remember the Mario ones being quite a bit more and I thought I would just pick one up later. Lol that is not happening now.

1 Like

Just looked over this listing again and realized the Jolteon is mislabeled by PSA:

1 Like

Do you remember how much this was listed for?

Pretty sure it was listed for $10k

1 Like

1 Like