New Rudy Vid "2 years of Pokemon INVESTING goes bad..."

3 Likes

Profit is the word you´re missing :wink:
He just bought some stuff without really knowing anything about the market, I guess he will make profit on this stuff if he just holds it long enough but for now he should´ve investigated the collectors market a little bit more :wink: As he said in his video, he wouldn´t even make anything different he just worked after certain information/sets of principles but it just didn´t work out as hoped.

Title character cap. XD

1 Like

Lol cbf watching. But damn thats one hell of a bowtie!

2 year investment on product that rotated out of standard during that time is never gonna show significant growth. :confused:

1 Like

I really like Rudy, but he should’ve watched some smpratte… :wink:

The older, the rarer, the minter, the better.

Still, I really respect his openness and insights. There’s so much to learn from him and his videos. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I thought his false statement about Pokémon declining was rooted in his modern purchases not growing. I told him over the phone to just buy vintage boxes, or actual rare cards.

For example, when he started buying this modern Pokémon product, fossil 1st ed boxes were $800. Jungle 1st ed was $900. Rocket 1st was $700. The list goes on. Literally every wotc box increased.

If anything this is a great example how hobbies are entirely knowledge based;
an immense cash flow won’t change that reality.

17 Likes

He didn’t really invest, he hoarded.

I can understand it when he refers to buying Reserve List and Alpha/Beta MTG as an investment, but buying pallets of boxes to break down and sell is not investing, it’s just retail.

5 Likes

If anybody is going to target modern product, I would go for Elite Trainer Boxes for the English stuff. What I bought most recently were the Generations & Shining Legends ETBs and those have gone fantastically well. Like the rest of y’all are saying, you need to at least take a slightly educated guess.

2 Likes

Rudy admitted his miscalculations plus he threw in a couple of bits of wisdom which may be known already to some of us but his community could learn from.
This game is not all flowers and rainbows.
Not a bad video at all.

5 Likes

Pretty much saw that coming lol. Rudy is known to risk it for the biscuit though.

I like Rudy. He’s a calculating and risk taking businessman. I like how he breaks down the economic side of the TCG business. I haven’t run across anyone else that is that open with their information. I appreciate that.

I think he’s going after a different sector of the market than many of the high end businesses on this forum.

Rare, high end collectibles are one market. Mass market modern product is another.

I would agree that the mass market popularity is not high as a couple years ago. And it didn’t do as well for him.

I like that he is buying into Pokémon at such a large level, and hope he continues to do so !

1 Like

I assume he wanted to quickly invest large amounts of money into products and not to snipe some WOTC boxes here and there.

1 Like

That s a good point! He was straight forward about what happened.

To be fair Shining Legends ETB are still on eBay for $35 shipped, but I also picked up some Generations ones that did well.

I think the main issue with these is that they take up a large amount of space, and that the % price increase is deceivingly high.

At least for me, with the Generations ETB, I paid $35 shipped, if I go by the lowest BIN, $80 shipped on eBay, it sounds very good. But I’m going to end up paying $10/15 for shipping (I don’t have a cheap way of sending these giant boxes), then $8 to eBay fees, another $3 for paypal fees, and suddenly the total cost to sell is about $55-60, making the profit margin small, and for the time spent/liquidity (time to sell), it seems as though a $1000 box with 50% growth in the same time makes much more sense than 30 of these ETB…

I think Rudy is smart enough to have bought old WotC cards and product but for the purpose of this channel this is the only thing he’s showing us.

1 Like

bulk buying mass produced packs and cards and waiting 2 years doesn’t yield massive profits. who would have known?

2 Likes

I’ve only watched a few of his vids but I thought this was was quite informative and enjoyable. There’s lots of people that will fail to admit their mistakes and he shared some good insights.

3 Likes

In my opinion 2 years isn’t a very long time for an “investment”. He most definitely could of made better purchases but I just don’t think he really gave his investments enough time to grow.

2 Likes

He treated it like Magic, which he should have never done. They’re two different monsters.