NES Cartridge Console: Zelda II - Gold Edition(RetroPie)

What’s up Elites, finished up a little project that my cousin and I were working on yesterday. Using a Rasberry Pi 0 motherboard, some inexpensive equipment and a Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge to hold it all together we created our own console! Below are a few pictures of my nifty little gadget:

I’m sure some of you have seen something similar before, but not in a beautiful Golden NES cartridge in mint condition. :sunglasses:

Below I’ll list the hardware and software necessary for this, it’s fairly simple.

Hardware:

Raspberry Pi (A, A+, B, B+, 2, Zero, or 3) - for best performance use a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B(I used the Zero)

Raspberry Pi Case (optional but recommended, you can really use anything, get creative! I obviously went with the gold cartridge)

MicroSD Card

MicroSD Card Reader (For installing retropie from your computer)

HDMI cable or 4 Pole RCA to 3.5mm Cable (HDMI works best)

Television or Computer Monitor- really any screen with HDMI or RCA ports
Wifi Dongle or Ethernet Cable (Wifi is built into the Pi 3

5V 2A Micro USB Power Supply (2.5A for pi 3)

USB Keyboard and Mouse (to get things set up or you can use SSH)

USB Game Controller of your choice (or you can get the Control Block to use original SNES controllers)

This is a link to the installation:
github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/First-Installation#installation

Remember this is an emulator station so all games(ROMs) are free! We managed to install a few games from 1985 down to 2004. Below is a list of the games I chose. Of course with a better Rasberry Pi you can even install Nintendo 64 games!

NES:
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
SuperMario Bros 3
Contra
Super Contra
Kirbys Adventure
PacMan
Galaga
The Legend of Zelda
Tetris
Final Fantasy 1,2,3
Metroid

SNES:
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda
Super Metroid
Super Mario Kart
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Final Fantasy 4
Mortal Kombat
Earthworm Jim
Killer instinct
Dragon Quest 1-5
Pokémon Trading Card Game

GB(Color & Advanced):
Pokémon:Red,Blue,Yellow,Green,Gold,Silver,Crystal,Ruby,Saphire,Emerald,Fire Red, Leaf Green
Medabots
Metal Gear:Ghost Babel
GTA2
Metroid Fusion
Dragon Ball Z:Advanced Adventure,The Legend of Goku, Super Sonic Warriors,Buus Fury
Golden Sun

Enjoy.

-UPDATE-

Some notable games I’ve been playing:

Having so much nostalgic fun with this system!

8 Likes

dude, how do you get the fing controllers to work on retropie? I literally messed with it for days and gave up because it should be so simple.

Like the way they configure them in the guide doesn’t actually seem to change the retroarch in emulator settings correctly and it was a nightmare.

Did you have difficulty with this or am I just an idiot?

I did not have difficulty, try looking up the specific troubleshoot problem online.

1 Like

That is soooo cool. Cant wait until we can fit a retro pie into pokemon gold gameboy color cartridge :wink:

1 Like

This is sexy af. Super props @missingno ! :clap::clap:

1 Like

MOTHER OF GOD!!! This belongs in my game room; awesome job!

1 Like

This is definitely a great alternative to put away your NES and use this instead. Yes I think there is generic N64 controllers out there with USB outputs. Maybe you can open a controller up and solder in a USB output. If not then Mayflash makes adapters so you can use literally any internally wired controller!

As for photos of the inside I did not take any before sealing it closed! Would have been a great idea but I was like a mad scientist building this. I even did the classic praise raise to the sky when I finished turning the final screw! When I plugged it in and saw that it worked I was like:

I will be building one for my brother in law in the near future, I will make sure to photograph the guts for ya!

2 Likes

Awesome job. I love the projects that I come across like these. Some day I will get to something like this, but I still do prefer sticking with the actual classic system when I play the oldies. I see all kinds of other interesting things people do with the raspberry pi over on reddit all the time too.

Always reminds me of my favorite custom job I have ever come across. Hailrazer N64boy Advance

The actual aesthetic of an original console is always nice. Playing these on my TV for free is quite amazing though. I’m currently hooked on Metroid Fusion! I also updated the OG post showing the games I’ve been playing.

Woah the amount that sold for is amazing!