Neo Genesis Quilava Error Card?

So I’ve seen some sold listings in Japan for this card at a pretty high price and I can’t see any difference between the sold ones and every other quilava card. Is there some error version we don’t know about?

7 Likes

Yes, humanity is the error

4 Likes

@supersaiyanampharos , so im commenting to follow incase someone else might have some information on things here, but this could all just be an odd sale of sorts. However, not long ago there was some discussion on this exact Quilava yet it totally slips my mind as to why the card was being discussed. Would love to know any more on it seeing as Im a huge cyndaquil evo line fan so hopefully someone can chime in, but i wouldnt hold my breath on the matter.

1 Like

If I recall correctly there is a text difference

5 Likes

Yes you can see the text difference even from the small photo. Look at the second paragraph.

Well, I did me some マグマラシ金、銀、新世界へ… searching

They definitely changed the description of やきこがす (Char). I’m assuming that the two you showed in your picture were the original prints since the pokemon wiki shows the extended description instead of whatever the text is on those (those images are way too small to read and I’m having trouble finding hq scans/pictures to translate… if I saw a clear pic of the shortened description I bet I’d be able to figure this all out :wink:

This is what I’m assuming is the revised (and much more common) card. You can clearly see the additional line and a half of description compared to your images

Just for reference the description on this card says:
相手に「くろこげマーカー」がのっていなければ、コインを投げ、「おもて」なら、相手に「くろこげマーカー」を1つのせる。おたがいのプレイヤーは、ポケモンチェックのたび、自分の場の「くろこげマーカー」をのせているポケモンそれぞれに対してコインを投げ、「うら」なら、そのポケモンに「弱点・抵抗力・特殊能力・その他の効果」に関係なく、20ダメージ。
which is effectively the same as the english print:
If the Defending Pokémon doesn’t have a Char counter on it, flip a coin. If heads, put a Char counter on it. A Char counter requires your opponent to flip a coin after every turn. If tails, put 2 damage counters on the Pokémon with that Char counter. (Char counters stay on the Pokémon as long as it’s in play.)

This is just me speculating, but Char was basically burn before burn was a thing, so maybe the description was revised to read more like a burn description +affecting benched?

Also somewhat interesting to note but not surprising, they changed the description/costs of やきこがす for other pokemon in later sets like for Moltres in Psyco Drive, the move is changed to Searing Flame in english and the description simply reads 相手のバトルポケモンをやけどにする。(
The Defending Pokémon is now Burned.)

I shall continue my search and will hopefully reply back with a definitive answer :blush:

3 Likes

here you go!

Didn’t really think people on e4 would care that much lol, its such a small difference

2 Likes

Update, I have the answer
I found the sold listing and the picture is clear enough to read thankfully :grin:

This description reads:
相手に「くろこげマーカー」がのっていなければ、コインを投げ、「おもて」なら、相手に「くろこげマーカー」を1つのせる。おたがいのプレイヤーは、ポケモンチェックのたび、自分の場の「くろこげマーカー」をのせているポケモンそれぞれに対してコインを投げ「うら」なら、そのポケモンにダメージカウンーそを2個のせる。

it’s… identical to the other description except for the last underlined part

相手に「くろこげマーカー」がのっていなければ、コインを投げ、「おもて」なら、相手に「くろこげマーカー」を1つのせる。おたがいのプレイヤーは、ポケモンチェックのたび、自分の場の「くろこげマーカー」をのせているポケモンそれぞれに対してコインを投げ、「うら」なら、そのポケモンに**「弱点・抵抗力・特殊能力・その他の効果」に関係なく、20ダメージ。**My assumption was basically right, the shorter description simply says “apply two 10 damage counters”, and the longer one specifies to apply 20 damage regardless of weaknesses(弱点), resistances(抵抗力), abilities(特殊能力), or any other effects(その他の効果), all that TCG lingo. It’s just a move clarification
:wink:

Thank you @casual but I had already found this pic and was working on the transcription of it before you posted haha

edit: I took the images in my post and moved them to my own imgur so they won’t disappear in the future

3 Likes

I appreciate it guys, just now saw that my screenshots are mini sized! This is cool though, it’s a lot of fun learning about these different prints of cards and what not

The seller of the two Quilava @supersaiyanampharos posted just listed the more common version for sale on Mercari: buyee.jp/mercari/item/m34973741651

If you translate the description, it states, “Old back Old back Pokeji 3 Thank you for the information. I learned a lot.”

Interesting item description especially since the first two “error/corrected” sales only had “No product description”

It seems like they are well aware of what they have though - especially with the price discrepancies.

1 Like

This is the only card ever to feature the char mechanic as I’m pretty sure burn wasnt a feature in the tcg at that point (is it even now idk?). I dont think that is a factor but it’s a cool little bit of info on the card in general.

1 Like

If my Japanese Neo Genesis checklist poster is anything to go by, the 5 line version was the original and the 4 line version was the corrected version:

As with the “60” damage Typhlosion pictured above it also includes the missing damage Donphan and “10 damage counters” Darkness Energy:

Edit: One thing not mentioned here is that both the second AND first attacks had their text changed. Here is the Smokescreen attack on both cards:

Or has the spacing just changed?

3 Likes

Never underestimate error collectors haha!

3 Likes

I love everything about this thread.

3 Likes

quilava first attack are only spacing ? but the same exact words in japanese then?

If you look closely at the first attack, the characters are different. I can’t translate Japanese, but I would assume there are some slight text differences and not spacing adjustments.

9 Likes

Coming through with the amazing info once again! Thank you for sharing :blush: It makes me wonder just how many corrections were made for the Neo genesis 2nd print. The search continues!

1 Like

@pichufan You may wanna take a look at this ^ :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Ooh, interesting! I assumed it was only a matter of time before a Pichu variant like this was discovered. I’ll have to have a look through my bundle of Neo Pichu cards to see if I already have one (I’m guessing that’s very unlikely, mind you!).

3 Likes