need help valuing my collection please :)

hey

i have a pretty big collection of early trading cards that i’d like your help valuing please. i collected obsessively as a kid, but became a lot less enthusiastic after the initial 151, and totally lost interest when the art style changed.

some highlights include

• complete standard base set

• complete japanese vending series 1 set, almost complete series 2

• a number of coro coro japanese promos including surfing and flying pikachu

• ooyama’s pikachu

• almost full set of Japanese neo 1, including lugia

• full set of the pikachu records CD promo cards, including unpressed watermelon and cake tokens + shadowless pikachu. i also have the CD somewhere

• meowth’s party CD + card and poster

• japanese neo promo folders

• japanese southern islands promo folders + individual sets

• japanese happy birthday pikachu with original unused sticker sheet

i’ve also got a box full of commons and uncommons, counters from the vending sheets, a few coins and a few premade decks.

most of the cards are unplayed and have been put straight into protective sleeves and then into binders. there are of course some exceptions to this. i can also provide much more detailed pictures of any cards on request.

i’ve created an imgur folder here with photos of what i think may be the the most valuable cards - imgur.com/a/owJex

hope to hear back!

cheers

Richard

1 Like

I took a look through the folder, very nice collection! Each of the English base set holos could be worth a few dollars each if they are mint (especially Charizard), same with the Fossil and Jungle holos. Other than that and the sealed Birthday Pikachu which is probably the most valuable card you have, I don’t see much of high value. I didn’t see any 1st edition cards or overly rare stuff. While it is a great collection, it’s probably the same as what many other people who collected as kids have.

If you were trying to sell it all at once, I would probably value it around $200-250, including the bulk. Maybe you could get more if you sold that cards individually or in smaller lots. I’m not too much of an expert on the WOTC era, but I think that’s a fair valuation.

1 Like

cheers! i kinda expected that.

however, i was wondering about my southern islands folders. i found an article that said they are very sought after. i’m not sure how accurate it is though…

www.fromjapan.co.jp/blog/en/anime/top-10-rarest-and-most-expensive-pokemon-cards-of-all-time.html

there’s a similar article on ebay too -

www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Top-10-Rarest-Pokemon-Cards-Ever-/10000000204825688/g.html

Those articles are jokes, unfortunately. You’re looking at less that $10 for each.

www.ebay.ca/itm/POKEMON-Tropical-Southern-Islands-Beach-trading-card-Japan-wizards-booster-pack-/171115319354?hash=item27d744903a

www.ebay.ca/itm/Pokemon-Japanese-Southern-Islands-Complete-Set-18-Cards-ALL-Factory-Sealed-Mint-/381363661191?hash=item58cb0ba987

2 Likes

The southern island sets are over hyped because of articles like those, whilst they do fetch okay prices (full sets) they are nowhere near as “must have”, pricey or rare as the articles suggest.

1 Like

not those. i’m talking about the 9 card promo folders seen in this video - Pokemon Southern Islands Set Japanese Binder - YouTube

To add, you can probably get $30-40 for a complete Southern Islands set with a bit of patience.

Otherwise, you have a very nice collection. I wouldn’t be surprised if it sold for $250-300. :blush:

2 Likes

cheers everyone :blush: