Need help - Are these cards recolored?

I bought a handful of 1st edition base raw non holos on eBay, but they looked off when I was inspecting the backs for edgewear. I noticed that some of the edges looked shinier and had slightly different shades of blue. I asked the seller where they got the cards and they said it was from a local collector who sold them a binder with cards from when they were a kid. Can anyone with more experience tell me whether they think these are recolored?

I uploaded some pics here: imgur.com/a/CYtbYe4. The last pic is a comparison between my own base set card (on the right) and one that I purchased (left).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Seller provided an efour link with pics which show the same discoloration: www.elitefourum.com/t/1st-edition-stamp-variations-lets-iron-it-out/17624/1. (In case this ever becomes helpful for anyone else in the future)

Really hard to tell with the camera glare. Your second pic does look particularly suspicious to me though.

2 Likes

It’s definitely really subtle. But all of the cards I bought have that bit of darker blue along the outer edges of the border… if that makes sense.

It’s easy buddy, get a good loupe and inspect them, with x30 magnification is enough, they are worth like 2 usd on ebay and check the white borders. If some ink managed to reach them you will notice. If it was applied just on the surface I would say it will be hard to tell if its subtle. Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip I just ordered one on eBay.

looks very fishy to me… speaking as someone who got duped by recolored comic books as a kid

1 Like