Need advice on overgraded card I bought

So I bought quite a few PSA graded 1st edition base cards from a seller. I’m ok with the condition of all them except this raichu. I’m not a huge stickler for weak vs strong grades, but this honestly looks like a PSA 7 to me. There’s whitening on every corner in addition to some white spot on the lower left (this appears to be on the card itself). What should I do?

If you feel PSA has made a mistake on any card, they have a grade guarantee, so if you send them the card and if a mistake was made they will refund you the value difference:)

5 Likes

Is this a worthwhile solution as a buyer though? There’s 2 outcomes with that:

1. they decide it’s still a 10 for whatever reason and I’m stuck with an overgraded card
  2. they decide it’s something else and I end up with a partial refund and a lower grade card that I’ll have to resell (I’m looking for 9s and 10s)

Yea that was a common printing issue on Raichu for some reason. I agree that it shouldn’t be a 10 with that damage and echo Gary’s statement about sending it in to PSA for their guarantee. However, don’t hold your breath on them paying out as many (such as myself) have submitted equally bad or worse 10’s and not gotten them to honor.

1 Like

Just return it.

2 Likes

A bit hard to tell because of photos but those look like some really rough cut corners

4 Likes

Wish it were that simple. He doesn’t want to do a return. I did pay PayPal g&s but I’m not sure if this would be covered

It would be annoying to any seller (including myself) if we had to accept a high value return (especially if he had sent you pics already) but tough, that’s life. Return it. You’re covered, you aren’t satisfied. By accepting goods and services they are a business, returns happen. These folks selling items need to grow up and accept the irritating side of business as well as the good.

6 Likes

Wow. I’d be disappointed with a 10 that looked like that. Sorry you are in this pickle.

2 Likes

PSA would very likely stick to their guns calling this a 10 in my experience so any time or money spent sending it for review would likely be wasted. This is a shitty situation started by PSA and there is no good answer, but at the end of the day you got what you bought. You’d be lying to say item wasn’t as described or force a return if they didn’t have a policy to accept returns for no reason.

6 Likes

Remind me to not ever sell to you :face_with_spiral_eyes:

9 Likes

I’m 3 for 3 with PSA on overgrades but they were blatant, egregious errors. I do agree with Ketchum though.

1 Like

SMH on the immaturity of some seller’s opinions on here.

Can you imagine:

Walmart: “Eh, sorry, no returns - you did buy that blender…you got what you bought. Why’d you buy it in the first place? Leave.”

I don’t think I’ve ever returned a pokemon item, but have had to accept returns for sure and it is what it is - grow up. Of course, I’m sure a lot of people don’t pay taxes on pokemon stuff they sell either so…what did I expect.

1 Like

He didn’t send pics, I just assumed it’d be ok. That being said, it seems like if I have to make PayPal step in they will either do it all or nothing (IE I return all 3 cards or none). Not exactly ideal either

Did you ask him to send pics and he refused?

1 Like

Having the same expectations of a small time, occasional eBay seller VS. One of the world’s largest retailer…

Is not comparable.

9 Likes

@jcincy101 Wal-Mart explicitly has a policy that allows for returns under given circumstances. I said if the seller had one to go for it. I also didn’t say to not do it if they didn’t, just that if OP were to do so it’d be lying. I personally didn’t even bring opinion into my post.

I personally would not return (and have not returned) items in OP’s exact situation and I let 100% of my frustration lie with PSA. Certain times it was easy and the grade difference was 3+ and I had an easy financial guarantee case. Here I would personally guess that card is an 8 or 9 from the photos and believe PSA would just say it’s still a 10 especially given their financial incentive to do so.

At the end of the day, I didn’t ever give direct advice to OP on the situation either, so here it is:

Take the “L” that PSA gave you and if it hurts too bad then chalk it up as a loss, sell it, and move on. Bonus round: Collect 9’s instead.

5 Likes

I would return it, but I also would have asked for pictures in the first place. The fact that you didn’t see pictures of the card is a red flag.

Whether you return it or keep it, there’s still the problem of this overgraded card floating around. I’m sure this will continue to be circulated as I can’t see any buyer being happy with that as a PSA 10.

I’m on the side that this is more the fault of PSA rather than the seller. It doesn’t sound like the seller misrepresented what they were selling, but PSA has potentially misrepresented the condition of the card. Unless the seller refused to send pictures or something, in which case there’s a valid argument that they’ve concealed important information and it’s weird that you decided to purchase it to begin with.

4 Likes

Would I be totally daft to suggest, asking if anyone would be willing to trade with their PSA 10 for yours + a little cash if required?
Or you could always sell it and buy another

1 Like