My Pokemon deck collection (Display update 9/21/23)

I had quite a few things coming from when I originally posted, so heres my end of the year update to the collection, its hard for me to resist a good deal for sealed decks. Stand alone Fennekin, 4th print Blackout sealed, Light (English and French), Daybreak(Italian with Italian booster pack), and Thunderstorm sealed deck are all the more unique ones. Sealed Brock, Koga, Lt. Surge (One a bit crushed, the other is clean), 2x Lockdowns, Devastation, and Brain Wave are all just upgrades to sealed copies unless the barcodes are variants on my current collection.

Side collection piece: Ampharos HGSS blister, been looking for this one at a decent price for about 2 years.

Froakie standalone is not great condition but was needed and the other unsealed decks I already had but still couldnt pass complete decks for the price, especially with such nice condition on the skyridge decks. Devastation is just the box but Italian version which is slightly different art compared to the English version.

I should probably post my Ampharos collection after the holidays as well.

13 Likes

How have I missed this? This is such a sick collection! D:

1 Like

@lyleberr, What a great collection!! Im curious about your open Japanese Base Starter Deck, is the one in your possession a 104-0061 product code or the 104-01 code? I’ve got myself a sealed 104-0061 which is the last print run of this item but the 104-01 was the starter deck in which the cards had no rarity symbols!!

Awesome collection. A few items in here Ive never seen before, these are so easy to over look when new product is released.

This is next level awesome! I’ve got a decent deck collection myself but just of the WOTC era decks :blush: just need the Eeveelutions deck to finish the mass-release decks. Not sure if I’ll get to red label or gold stripe decks anytime soon haha

It’s a flex, or in this case a deck measuring contest. He wins

Finally had a chance to lay out my decks again. The variant boxes are coming along nicely, every box in the photo is a physically different variant, probably a half dozen more that werent in the photo. Many were upgraded to sealed… well… it feels that way on my wallet but now that Im counting, not as many as I hoped for. I have 3 left in the mainline decks that I am searching for (Kalos starter collection which had 1 of the kalos starter decks and a pin of the starter) and that would let me have at least 1 variation of every english game-legal retail-available deck from base to the most recent V battle decks (waiting on them to be delivered).

Why do I keep specifying english boxes? Because there is no known list which decks were printed in which languages. The base starter and base decks should have language variants in Dutch, German, French, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, which is an extra 40 deck boxes alone, with an unknown amount of the later decks in other languages. I know jungle and fossil can be found in Dutch, Spanish, German, possibly french, and possibly the other 2 spanish based languages (again, another 24 decks). Rocket was made in Italian (+2), Tempest was made in German (+1), Neo decks were also in Italian, German, and French (+18). E-series decks were also in Italian and German (+12). Total up to Ruby/Sapphire that Ive seen tallies up to 95 non english decks, with an unknown amount missing from that. Currently I’m only at about 15/95.

Why do I keep specifying game legal and retail available? There were several decks which were made for demonstration only or made using nongame legal cards. These are famously the Trainer deck A and B (I have the boxes for display, just no contents) but also World championship decks (64 decks starting from 2004 to 2019). There were also demonstration decks for Jungle that there is minimal information about (I have water blast but little hope of finding a reasonably priced power reserve). These had literally no difference in cards (standard unlimited versions) and merely had a simple deck box with a stuck on logo for what the deck was.

Why do I say at least 1 variation of? Not only did the Gen 1 and Gen 2 decks have variants, of the 29 Gen 3 decks, from ex dragon to ex breakthrough all decks had a english and an english international version. The contents seem to be the same but the boxes had slight logo differences due to the nintendo copyright. Thats an additional 18 decks. There are also nonenglish variants here but I am for the most part omitting them from my collection for now since they are very hard to track down without any kind of information. I think there are Italian, french, and maybe german versions but it is unconfirmed which sets had which languages.

Some fun numbers:
There are approximately 465 total english decks and products with unique packaging (including international english variants), granted 64 of those are World championship decks.
Total numbers of name specific decks at this point: 206. Currently Im at 203/206 with 192/206 sealed.

There are a total of 44, if you count tempest, name specific decks in Gen1 and Gen2. Lots of these have print run variants and international box variants.

Other types of decks and deck products really began being released at the XY time period, much more so than scattered product before. Legendary battle decks, trainer kits, battle arena decks, challenge boxes, etc.

• 44/44 Gen 1-2 no variants with 35/44 sealed up to Ruby/sapphire
  • 81/108 Gen 1-2 w/ english variants with 41/108 sealed up to Ruby/sapphire. There may be another 12 that exist but I am still researching.
  • 4/4 WOTC special collection boxes with 2/4 sealed (Thunderstorm and Tempest larger giftboxes not sealed)
  • 29/29 Gen 3 no variants 27/29 of the name specific decks sealed
  • 34/47 Gen 3 w/english variants 32/47 decks sealed
  • 35/35 Gen 4 sealed decks. I have recently upgraded my last open deck (HS Unleashed Chaos Control) to a sealed copy.
  • 22/22 Gen 5 sealed decks. Good news for me, very little extra product with decks came out at this time.
  • 27/27 Gen 6 sealed decks, I have picked up my last standalone sealed deck (Froakie) to complete the 27/27 sealed
  • 3/6 Gen 6 special boxes for the Kalos starters with the Kalos Starter Collections still completely missing.
  • 28/28 Gen 7 sealed decks (includes Lets play double pack)
  • 9/9 Gen 8 sealed decks
  • 4/4 V battle decks sealed
  • 2/2 V Battle double packs sealed
  • 5/20 Gen 5 specialty boxes sealed
  • 16/16 Gen 6 and later challenge boxes sealed (there may be another 2 that exist)
  • 8/8 sealed battle arena boxes
  • 9/13 trainer kits sealed, (2 of these missing are the ex trainer kits in cardboard instead of plastic)
  • 3/3 sealed league battle decks
  • 8/8 legendary battle decks (includes the newly released trainer legendary box for the ho-oh and lugia decks)
  • 3/3 sealed epic collection decks
  • 2/2 sealed battle academy boxes (One was an amazon release only that was bundled with extra packs)
  • 3/3 Battle stadium decks (sadly with the Blaziken deck not sealed)
  • 1/1 sealed trainer toolkit
  • 3/4 demo deck boxes (not sealed, missing Power reserve)
  • 3/64 World Championship Deck boxes, probably going to regret not getting these early.

And I always love getting some unique japanese deck products. The Ash vs Rocket deck, VMAX decks, Misty/Brock gym decks, VS half deck, etc. These are just fun to have in a collection.

Upcoming deck news: New trainer toolkit and new battle academy box coming soon. We’ll see if any more variations of old product pop up as the 25th anniversary comes out and Pokemon clears out old product.

Really though, next update will be of actual cards.

9 Likes

They arent the highest grades but I get what I like and can afford (those decks are bleeding me dry).

5 Likes

Display update. Im really liking how its coming together. Every box is English including all variants, gaps are from not getting it unpacked yet (Sabrina, Leafgreen Int, Golden Sky US) or missing a box (All internationals: Team Aqua, FireRed, James, Starcharge, Steeplechase :cry: ). All but 30 decks shown are sealed. Kinda wish I had higher ceilings since Im not going to be able to finish XY or after but I am very happy with what is up. So close to done catching them all, hopefully can finish in 2023.

9 Likes

Wow, this is incredible. It’s like a literal Pokemon deck library. What an impressive collection. You could charge admission just to come see this!

1 Like

9/21/23 Update:

Ive gotten in a few decks in the past year and filled those gaps in my collection. Im now only missing the Team Aqua International deck box, the 3 Kalos Starter Collection boxes, and the ex Battle Stadium kit US version. Total numbers are 361/366 currently available decks and 26/38 products containing packs and decks packaged together. Of that 361 decks, only 29 are not sealed. Hopefully I can find a team aqua deck before the year is out since then all the standard theme decks will be complete. Then I’ll be able to do a writeup about this journey for future trainers :joy:

• 108/108 Gen 1-2 w/ english variants with 89/108 sealed up to Ruby/sapphire.
  • 4/4 WOTC special collection boxes with 4/4 sealed (Thunderstorm and Tempest larger giftboxes sealed)
  • 46/47 Gen 3 w/english variants with 39/46 decks sealed
  • 35/35 Gen 4 sealed decks.
  • 22/22 Gen 5 sealed decks.
  • 27/27 Gen 6 sealed decks.
  • 3/6 Gen 6 special boxes for the Kalos starters with the Kalos Starter Collections still completely missing.
  • 28/28 Gen 7 sealed decks (includes Lets play double pack)
  • 9/9 Gen 8 sealed decks
  • 12/12 V battle decks sealed
  • 6/6 V Battle double packs sealed
  • 6/6 ex Battle decks sealed
  • 16/16 Gen 6 and later challenge boxes sealed (there may be another 2 that exist)
  • 8/8 sealed battle arena boxes
  • 15/15 trainer kits with 12 sealed, (I have determined there is no proof of ex Trainer Kit ever having been sold in cardboard instead of acrylic)
  • 10/10 sealed league battle decks
  • 7/7 sealed legendary battle decks
  • 3/3 sealed epic collection decks
  • 3/3 sealed battle academy boxes (One was an amazon release only that was bundled with extra packs)
  • 5/6 Battle stadium decks with 4/5 sealed
  • 4/4 sealed trainer toolkit
  • 8/9 demo deck boxes (not sealed, missing Creatures deck)
  • 20/64 World Championship Deck boxes, definitely regretting not getting these early.
11 Likes

Absolutely amazing!!!

1 Like

How do I recognize the Team Aqua pcd (preconstructed deck) as being the International version?

1 Like

There are 3 main differences on the boxes so Ive put some photos to compare.

The first is the barcode, a US barcode lists an ISBN above the barcode as well as its own product identifier below the barcode. An international deck does not designate the above number as an ISBN and is much shorter as well as its matching product identifier below the barcode.

The second is the removal of all nintendo logos from the box. US version has 3 logos which are removed from the international version. One on the left sideflap toward the bottom (sorry no clear photo right now), and two on the back also toward the bottom. Sidenote, non-english decks also have e-reader logos removed since their functionality was removed from those cards.

The third is that some of the description details are different. The bottom of the deck lists that international versions are for sale outside of North America and Japan, while the US versions are for sale only in North America. Also the website address listed on the back changes from www.pokemon-tcg.com to www.pokemon-tcg.com/int on international versions (and is why I call them that).