My favorite Smpratte video - Actual Wealth vs Acting Wealthy

Hey yalls! Just came across this video again through Youtube recommendations. This is the very first video I watched from smpratte when it was originally posted. Everything said here just seems to be more and more applicable as time goes on. It prompted me to actually read The Millionaire Next Door a few years ago, which then caused me to make major shifts in my spending and budgeting habits. Since then, we have managed to pay off all of my wife’s school loans and continue to drill our mortgage down to zero. Fantastic video that doesn’t have enough views. Thanks smpratte!

16 Likes

Literally “smpratte saved my marriage and paid off my home!”

29 Likes

Wait until you hear what Scumbag Pratte did to mine.

29 Likes

This was a good vid. It introduced me to the book and has had a huge influence on me.

Most important of all it taught me that wealth and humility have a lot in common. I used to look at a young guy in a Mustang and think “he must have a lot of money”. Now I think “how much does he owe on that car?”

8 Likes

Exactly

Why would you care so much about other peoples’ wealth/spending?

I like things

1 Like

read the book because of this video, lifechanging!

3 Likes

It’s a part of human nature. That’s why signals of wealth are so effective!

4 Likes

It’s more about risk tolerance and freedom than actual money. It’s a mindset type thing.

1 Like

To quote a very controversial rapper

“When we die, the money we can’t keep
But we prolly spend it all 'cause the pain ain’t cheap, preach”

1 Like

Best video is the guitar solo at the beach

4 Likes

The videos are good and all, but I would like to shout out some of the thumbnails. These maybe the norm now, but when they were first published, it seemed out of left field for Scott’s videos (atleast to me). These are just gold, where it seemed the meme page was leaking onto his videos.

My favorite ones are:

Cheers!

11 Likes

Scott seeing us all shill his videos like
20210312_185834

12 Likes

My videos being shared on E4 is like hanging them on my moms refrigerator. :wink:

But really I appreciate the love! :pray: :heart:

25 Likes

I remember someone saying wealth can be measured as how long you can maintain your lifestyle after losing your job.

My perspective changed as I got older and I basically realised that net worth isn’t visible but materialistic things are, most people judge on the latter.

I remember wondering why my university professors had 10+ year old beat up cars but now I get it

2 Likes

Mood :money_with_wings::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Relevant song quote:
“And when you die, the only kingdom you’ll see, is two foot wide and six foot deep”

2 Likes

Wealth is freedom, so long as the cost of building wealth isn’t a prison. Be thankful for the important things in life - food, roof over your head, and Pokemon.

4 Likes

1000% this

1 Like

I always got anti-religion vibes from that lyric :joy: Sempiternal is a solid album tho!

1 Like