MrBubbles Japanese Promo Collection - Easy Peasy, Meiji Squeezy (April 2023)

Hoi all,
Thank you very much for stopping by to look at my thread. I really appreciate your time. I am hoping this thread someday becomes a culmination of the love and passion I have for Pokemon Japanese promo cards. I consider a privilege to be able to collect these cards and I am very grateful that I can share this with you awesome people, who also share the love and passion for collecting.

What is a Promo card?
I would consider a Promo as a term used for cards that are used to promote the Pokemon Card game . These are official cards there were distributed in limited quantity for a limited period of time. Of course this is my personal understand and I see sometimes the lines can be blurred on what is supposed to be a promo card. To also put it plainly, if one is able to buy the card itself, it is not considered a promo card for me.

Why collect Promo cards?
Promo cards are unique and have a lot of back story. There is a reason why each card, no matter the cost basis was released as a promo and there is a significance to that release. Over the course of collecting promos, I also developed a fascination for knowing the history and the back story of these releases. I consider this also a very important aspect of my collection journey.

My collection goal, is to someday have the most complete Japanese promo card collection.

Thank you again for your time. I hope you can enjoy what I have to offer in this collection thread. I have been heavily inspired by the many collection threads on E4. I hope I can also do the same.

Index of My collection updates:

T Promo
Unique set with some really great artwork. The Slowpoke, Dratini and Whismur evolution lines are my favourites.

L-P Promo
This set took a lot of dedication to be able to put together. Not only are the cards expensive, they are even rare and barely pop up. Some of the cards are once in a lifetime. I would not want to say never ever, but realistically I don’t see myself completing this. But I just adore the artwork on some of the cards, not to mention the unique stamps that the majority of the cards have.

41 Likes

Unnumbered Promos

These are some of the few unnumbered promo cards that I have. I have not organized them by any means. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to buy some prize cards. Not only was I in the right place at the right time, but also the pricing was right for me to get them.

Some of my favourites are also the Pokemon Pal-City trainer cards. I am still missing 3 of them and I have come close on 4 separate occasions and have missed out on completing them.

Thanks again for your time. Being at E4 has taught me a lot about this hobby and the people in this community have inspired me.I have spent a lot of time admiring collection threads, reading up on articles and debating topics. It feels good to be able to share some of my collection with like-minded people and, hopefully, to inspire others who want to post their collections or learn something new about this wonderful hobby.

Sincere Gratitude (Apologies for the long text.)

Cheers!

39 Likes

wowowowowowowowowowow. What a thing of beauty. Congrats

2 Likes

Great stuff! Don’t give up on completing that L-P goal. You can do it!

2 Likes

What an amazing collection! some of them (as the burned tower with the legendary dogs) are insanely amazing, Im sure with some time and some patience will give you more opportunities to add more stuff to the collection, and Id love to see that in the future! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not a completionist but one set that i do have complete is the southern islands set, that one is so beautiful and pure nostalgia. Just like you i went for it early on since coming back to the hobby. :smiley:

Nice collection and nice thread, keep it up. :wink:

4 Likes

based collection.

6 Likes

Great collection! Also Great use of the gallery option! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Love this! I have a very similar binder collection but only perhaps 2/3rds as comprehensive as this so far! Absolutely love the Japanese promos. Victory medal pages look very pleasing!

2 Likes

Awesome collection. :ok_hand:
Definitely more than a few i need to add to the goals list.

2 Likes

Update: 6th December, 2022.

This promo set contains great history. A perfect marriage of a large brand using an upcoming but popular IP for its promotion, thereby attracting new host of people to use their services. Really grateful to be able to finish this lovely set. The artwork is absolutely stunning. A lot of Pokemon are depicted to be in the air or flying which ties in very well with the branding of ANA. Finding these cards and their associated pamphlets / inserts is like going back memory lane on how these promos were actually handed out.

More info on these promos can be found here!

Thanks and cheers!

13 Likes

Beautiful little set, mrbubbles! I love that you got them in their original packaging too! Congratulations on your collection additions!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. Yes the intention was to get them in the original promo inserts they were in. I have them all except the Togepi and Marill, which were advertised with their original pamphlet but the sender just shipped them as loose. The cards are good condition so I am not going to fuss over it.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Amazing post again!
I thought there was no way to distinguish the togepi from the marill if they are still in their insert. I have 2 of those unpeeled inserts with either togepi or marill, both with different backs, but afaik no way to distinguish them.

This collection makes me feel a lot of emotions, happy, motivated and a tiny bit much jealous. Your collection also makes me want to create my own collection thread, we collect a lot of the same cards!

3 Likes

Maybe I should have clarified better. It did not have the front cover (peeling that, the card can be exposed) but it was still in the actual mount. But indeed you are correct, if completely unpeeled, there is no way of knowing what card it is.

Goals for 2023 my friend. I was actually surprised when I checked an saw you did not have a collection thread. I would absolutely love to see yours, knowing how similar our collections goals are. I hope you do make one, since I think its one of the ways we can interact and learn more from each other.

Looking forward!

Cheers!

1 Like

Meiji Chocolates have been associated with Pokemon for their brand promotion right from 1997 with series of non-tcg cards. However, it was only in the year 2004, that Meiji decided to release exclusive Pokemon TCG product in the form of promo cards. These cards were available in various Meiji chocolate boxes (one card per box) and could be distinguished by the red “Meiji” logo on the bottom left of the card.

I finally managed to complete the set of all the cards released by Meiji via this promotion for the mainline numbered promo sets. It consists of a total of 97 cards, released in 8 sets. Details of the card list have been included for anyone interested. Enjoy!

February 2004 Series

Card List
Card Set Number
Bulbasaur Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 051/ADV-P
Charmander Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 052/ADV-P
Charmeleon Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 053/ADV-P
Charizard Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 054/ADV-P
Squirtle Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 055/ADV-P
Psyduck Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 056/ADV-P
Pikachu Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 057/ADV-P
Raichu Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 058/ADV-P
Slowpoke Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 059/ADV-P
Cubone Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 060/ADV-P
Jigglypuff Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 061/ADV-P
Meowth Meiji Chocolate (February 2004) 062/ADV-P
Card List
Card Set Number
Beautifly Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 005/PCG-P
Masquerain Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 006/PCG-P
Blaziken Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 007/PCG-P
Surskit Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 008/PCG-P
Plusle Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 009/PCG-P
Minun Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 010/PCG-P
Deoxys Normal Forme Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 011/PCG-P
Torkoal Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 012/PCG-P
Swellow Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 013/PCG-P
Rayquaza Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 014/PCG-P
Murkrow Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 015/PCG-P
Metagross Meiji Chocolate (June 2004) 016/PCG-P
Card List
Card Set Number
Sceptile Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 063/PCG-P
Cacnea Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 064/PCG-P
Combusken Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 065/PCG-P
Swampert Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 066/PCG-P
Regice Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 067/PCG-P
Pikachu Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 068/PCG-P
Mew Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 069/PCG-P
Gardevoir Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 070/PCG-P
Phanpy Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 071/PCG-P
Regirock Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 072/PCG-P
Pidgeot Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 073/PCG-P
Registeel Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 074/PCG-P
Aura’s Lucario Meiji Chocolate (June 2005) 075/PCG-P

October 2005 Series

Card List
Card Set Number
Forretress Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 101/PCG-P
Flareon Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 102/PCG-P
Rayquaza δ Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 103/PCG-P
Vaporeon Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 104/PCG-P
Corphish Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 105/PCG-P
Jolteon Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 106/PCG-P
Mewtwo δ Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 107/PCG-P
Ditto Mr. Mime Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 108/PCG-P
Donphan Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 109/PCG-P
Marshtomp Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 110/PCG-P
Eevee Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 111/PCG-P
Pikachu δ Meiji Chocolate (October 2005) 112/PCG-P
Card List
Card Set Number
Seviper Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 134/PCG-P
Ho-Oh Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 135/PCG-P
Combusken Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 136/PCG-P
Samiya’s Mantyke Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 137/PCG-P
Samiya’s Buizel Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 138/PCG-P
Sea’s Manaphy Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 139/PCG-P
Pelipper δ Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 140/PCG-P
Lugia Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 141/PCG-P
Meditite Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 142/PCG-P
Samiya’s Chatot Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 143/PCG-P
Sharpedo Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 144/PCG-P
Zangoose δ Meiji Chocolate (June 2006) 145/PCG-P

February 2007 Series

Card List
Card Set Number
Turtwig Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 005/DP-P
Cherubi Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 006/DP-P
Chimchar Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 007/DP-P
Piplup Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 008/DP-P
Buizel Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 009/DP-P
Shinx Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 010/DP-P
Pachirisu Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 011/DP-P
Drifloon Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 012/DP-P
Starly Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 013/DP-P
Bidoof Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 014/DP-P
Buneary Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 015/DP-P
Chatot Meiji Chocolate (February 2007) 016/DP-P
Card List
Card Set Number
Grotle Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 034/DP-P
Cherrim Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 035/DP-P
Carnivine Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 036/DP-P
Monferno Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 037/DP-P
Prinplup Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 038/DP-P
Palkia Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 039/DP-P
Luxio Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 040/DP-P
Croagunk Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 041/DP-P
Dialga Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 042/DP-P
Happiny Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 043/DP-P
Aipom Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 044/DP-P
Staravia Meiji Chocolate (July 2007) 045/DP-P
Card List
Card Set Number
Burmy Sandy Cloak Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 080/DP-P
Combee Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 081/DP-P
Yanmega Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 082/DP-P
Heatran Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 083/DP-P
Shellos East Sea Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 084/DP-P
Phione Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 085/DP-P
Luxray Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 086/DP-P
Chingling Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 087/DP-P
Riolu Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 088/DP-P
Stunky Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 089/DP-P
Probopass Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 090/DP-P
Munchlax Meiji Chocolate (March 2008) 091/DP-P

Why Collect them?

• Too long wait time to finish your collection goals? Easy mini set to finish while you wait.
  • Looking to fill that Ken Sugimori binder? Look no further.
  • Super cheap and also a promo.

Overall this was a fun side quest for me, which helped me chip away at my main quest. On the outset, these look like common cards with only a red logo at the bottom, but make for some really great entry point for anyone trying to start collecting Japanese promos.

A thing to also note is that these cards are sealed in a transparent plastic cellophane bag. The prices of these “sealed” cards is just absurd if you consider the actual card. I would just go for very clean copy of the non-sealed cards which go for fraction of the price.

Super happy to have finally finished this set. Thanks for taking the time to look at my collection update. :bowing_man:

Cheers!

23 Likes

Amazing Meiji collection dude. Really love Fukuda’s artwork here. Do you have any plans on McDonald’s 2005 promos?

2 Likes

Thanks. If you are talking about the 2005 PCG-P cards, then I am in the middle of it. I am still missing a few. Hoping to get them, maybe withing this year. Let’s see, completing the PCG promo set would be a huge deal for me personally, so taking my time to slowly chip away at it. :blush:

Cheers!

3 Likes

So that explains the chunk of cards in the middle of team magma vs team aqua that completely dont fit in with the style of the rest of the cards.

2 Likes

Just don’t eat the chocolate.

3 Likes