Movie Commemoration VS Pack cards

I’m pretty new to Japanese cards. So I have a few questions about these cards:

What’s the supply of these cards like? I’m referring to all four of the different Movie Commemoration VS Packs. I’m working on Pokedex binders of Gens 1-3 with each unique art printed and the toughest cards to find (aside from the WB Creator cards) have been these. I’ve acquired maybe half of the cards from these but there are several cards that I just haven’t been able to find. But, based on the fact that these are super cheap (<$10 each), I don’t think they’re that rare?

Are there places besides the usual platforms (i.e., eBay, Troll and Toad) to buy these cards from? Are there Japanese sites that you can buy obscure-ish Japanese cards like this from?

Any input would be very appreciated. I’m a total noob with Japanese cards. And, if it matters, I only want NM cards (PSA 8/9/10) quality. I ordered several off of Troll & Toad (including a $100 ‘NM’ May’s Torchic promo) and all of them are damaged lol. Much worse quality than the English cards I typically receive from them.

There’s bazillions of them and they’re all horrible and stupid and ugly and worth less than the cardboard holding my french fries so don’t buy them until maybe like 2030 by which time–purely coincidentally–I will have acquired enough money to have purchased all of them.

…not that I would, of course.

9 Likes

Hahaha. I understand lol. I only need one of each anyway.

Jokes aside, the art on some of these is soooo damn good.

I appreciate them for their connection to the anime. Kind of a weird thing to say on E4 but the anime is my favorite part of Pokemon, or at least it was when I was a kid. To be able to own official Pokemon TCG cards that depict the trainers and Pokemon from the show would be amazing.

I hardly see any of these single cards on eBay. You’ll find a couple of the sealed half-decks, some are definitely more scarce than others. I’m hoping its obscure enough to never really generate too much interest on a wider scale.

1 Like

I doubt they’re going to catch on anytime soon (if ever). Random Japanese-only Gen 3 non-holos. It’s a perfect recipe for very low interest lol. Do you know of anywhere besides eBay (and Troll & Toad) that has these? I only need one of each, so I don’t think that will have any real impact on your collecting goals :blush:.

Well, I only just took a deep dive into their unique artworks for the very first time as a result of this thread and I’m hooked! And I hardly even know any Gen 3 Pokemon! I was only aware of the lenticular Deoxys promo, but the rest is completely new and refreshing to me.
Luckily for you, I’m poor and already commited to other goals, so not much of a competitor (for now…).

I mean come on, I can’t remember having seen any of those cards on e4 ever before. The fact that a Blastoise could hide from me in there for 16 years is mindblowing!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I’m no expert on Japanese anything. What few purchases I make are through eBay. If I knew how these guys utilize Yahoo! Japan auctions, I would do it in a heartbeat but it’s just way too hazy and confusing of a process for me to even begin to configure.

I wish you luck in finding them haha. Hopefully it’s just us two on the lookout :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

This is how I felt when I first discovered them! I was pretty shocked I hadn’t seen them…a lot of quality art. Here are some of my favorites:

Also, if you haven’t seen them already, check out the PokePark cards. All Japanese-exclusive art. I love these two:

Lots of cool cards that I had no clue existed up until like a month ago lol.

3 Likes

The pokepark promos are very nice looking, I own a celebi but need to get a lugia and rayquaza at some point. Thanks for sharing the jirachi as now I’m going to pick one up

1 Like

@zorloth , the Flygon and the Breloom (just had to look up their names :wink:) are sublime!! These cards might just be some of the least known TCG cards relative to their age. They just fall in this weird niche of not really being promos, nor really being sets and on top of that, Japanese exclusive from a low demand era.
On the other hand, there seem to be quite a few other preconstructed Japanese decks from the ex era that fall in a similar category, only that they lack the abundance of exclusive art.

Well, I will stop myself from promoting them any further now.

1 Like

Agreed! Really awesome cards. I had no interest in Japanese cards before discovering these, but seeing them inspired me to create Pokedex binders since there are so many cool Japanese exclusive arts that I had to somehow justify buying. A lot of the original VS series ones are really great, too.

And yeah, the only other Japanese-exclusive EX-era art (besides the Movie VS and PokePark ones) are from the Emerald Gift Box and the 10th Movie Commemoration set. Some really cool ones from those. Ordered the Visitor Deoxys from Troll & Toad and of course it had to be in shit condition, so now I gotta find another one lol.

Also, I still would really love to know if there are any other places people source Japanese cards since I’m really wanting to buy the remaining cards I need. I think it’s tough to get people to tell me since they don’t want competition (understandably). But someone please help me out :slightly_frowning_face:.

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face:

@zorloth, looking on trollandtoad I see a few cards there for very cheap. Like I said, only a few, but they’re all sub-$1.

In stock? I don’t see any.

Try these:

Yeah, basically nothing’s in stock, unfortunately. The only card they have that I need is Sky-Splitting Deoxys for $70 :slightly_frowning_face:. I’d probably buy it if I knew that it was going to be NM but knowing them it’s a crapshoot.

Side note – does anyone happen to know what comes in this pack: www.ebay.com/itm/Poke-Park-Special-Edy-Pack-Japanese-Pokemon-Card-2005-sealed-unopened-New/193394004353?hash=item2d072e5181:g:vagAAOSwv8FeeT5K

Google’s not giving me any info :confused:

1 Like

These cards have amazing artworks, and are not easily found on ebay. But I think that is just a demand thing. There are a *lot* of these available on yahoo etc. the 10th and 11th movie commemoration especially. You can find them sealed for 25 dollars consistently.

1 Like

Interesting. The 10th Movie cards seem cheap generally (and I’m not collecting 11th Movie since it’s post-EX Series). What’s the availability of the Movie VS cards (i.e., from the Sky-Splitting Deoxys pack, the Aura’s Lucario pack, etc.)? Those sealed decks are a lot more than $25 on eBay (some are $300+). And I’m assuming you mean Yahoo Japan – how does ordering from there work? Do I need a middle-man? Sorry for so many questions lol

No problem, happy to help. I use buyee as a middle man, helps a ton, I think there is a guide somewhere on the fourum on how to use it. And if there is not, it is pretty straight forward since the site is in english. Although you need to search in japanese, I just search it up on bulbapedia and the name is there in japanese and just copy and paste into the buyee search bar.

As for the sealed decks of the movie cards, I think the sky splitting deoxys is also quite expensive on the japanese side. As for the others, have not looked into them so I would not know.

1 Like