Most expensive/rarest Giratina card.

Japanese only. Is it the Giratina victory medal card? Sorry for another post.

I’m guessing, as far as character, that technically Giratina would be like the equivalent to “satan”, seems to be the most demonic one of them all, as far as power.

The flip side I’m guessing would be Arceus, but the one I like, the 6th grade winner contest one, ungraded, might be out of my price range, & is hard to find, most I’ve ran into are graded.

The rarest in terms of sheer numbers is probably the Giratina EX full art lottery promo, only 1000 distributed.

9 Likes

Ah ok, yeah expensive too. I never did like the full art cards for some reason though. I’m guessing if you took away any full arts, the victory medal would be up next, unless I’m missing some sort of contest/promo winner of some kind.

Giratina is a personal favorite of mine. Fourthstar is correct, the Giratina lottery promo is the most sought after and rarest Giratina printed to date. I’d say the victory medal is 2nd. I’m still waiting to grab up these two. After the big two I’d say probably the Dragons Exalted FA is my 3rd for most sought after. The art is A1 on all the Dragons Exalted cards.

1 Like

I guess the Wonder Platinum is the rarest card to feature Giratina in the artwork.

11 Likes

Well, “card that features Giratina” and “Giratina card” are two different things. The Victory Medal isn’t a Giratina card per se, it’s a Victory Medal with a Giratina on it. Same as in your other thread, there are Zapdos cards and then cards of completely different Pokemon cards where Zapdos just happens to be in the artwork as well. I don’t know off the top of my head whether there’s a rarer card than the Victory Medal that features Giratina, you may need to do some more digging yourself on this (edit: yup the Wonder Platinum would do it, but as I mentioned that is technically not a “Giratina card”).

There is also an issue of what “rarest/most expensive” actually means. Do you mean the Giratina card with the fewest raw numbers produced? Do you mean the most valuable Giratina card, full stop? You limited your query to Japanese, but if you expanded to English, I think the pop 2 PSA 10 Giratina EX Full Art from Dragons Exalted would beat a PSA 10 lottery promo full art. However, you can buy the English full art Giratina EX for $50 in NM condition, and the same can’t be said for the lottery promo.

These things are more complicated than you may think!

2 Likes

I had no idea the PSA 10 pop was super low, the report is showing 4. Wow. Comparing it to the other FAs in the set, the percentage of 10s to overall amount graded is particularly low compared to the ratio of the other FAs. Interesting stuff.

Holy shit I didn’t even notice Giratina in that card.

You’re right, it’s 4, got it mixed up with another low pop FA. But still, I think if one of those went on the open market these days it would bring a very solid price.

FYI, Giratina is also on the zoroark design contest 4th grade winner if you look closely enough.

2 Likes

Giratina also features on the 4th Grade winner card from the 2009 Design Contest:

100 were distributed, which isn’t quite as rare as the Wonder Platinum, but so far only 3 of these have been graded by PSA (the last copy to be graded was all the way back in 2016!).

Along with the 6th Grade Arceus you mentioned in your first post, 7 of the 2009 Design Contest winner cards were Arceus cards, and Arceus also makes an appearance on the 2009 Kindergarten winner Pichu design.

In terms of a price point I can tell you that a mint condition raw 2009 Design Contest Arceus card sold for over $10,000 last year.

If you’re trying to identify a Pokémon which wouldn’t be almost impossible to collect I’d advise staying away from both Giratina and Arceus.

4 Likes

In terms of cards featuring giratina it also makes the smallest appearance on the corner of the art academy gourgeist.

Edit: also forgot there are 5 jumbo cards of giratina some of which are exceptionally hard to find.

2 Likes