Miscut Super Trainer Showdown 2002 Attendee Promo Card

Hi all, found this interesting listing.

Is this another case of hand cutting, or is it actually legit?

I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 foot pole lol. Story sounds stupid as hell.

Sellers name looks familiar, can’t remember if it was good or bad…

Edit: Looked back, it was all good!

1 Like

Team rocket set was released in 2000 as well… not 2002.

1 Like

Hahaha. Well, actually. This one might be real. These ones specifically have been floating around for a VERY long time.

This isn’t the first time this specific item has reared its head. I think he has the information about it wrong, though? The story I had last heard was these were used as decorations at a WOTC Christmas party? Maybe someone else also recalls this myth and can bring more light to it, but this definitely isn’t out of nowhere.

I don’t want to put my reputation to “It’s real” because I’ve never held it in person, but if it is a fake, this specific fake has been around a LONG time.

5 Likes

Story is real, card is real. Fact that they mention it being slightly smaller is exactly what you want. Plus it’s double sided.

Final edit: I pulled up the info I had saved on my computer.

One side it glossy, the card is cut smaller than normal, has two sides that are front. It was used in the Super Trainer Showdown as decoration for the tournament.

PS if anyone has the Pojo article that features this card I’d really like to see it, I’ve never been able to find it myself.

4 Likes

I believe @fritz will have the article :blush:

Edit: also, I can confirm the card is a legitimate WOTC printed card.

1 Like

Doubling down on request for the full article. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have sold to and bought from this seller multiple times with no issues.

I have seen information on this card before and one eBay listing in the past. I think I saw articles/conversation about it over a pokegym a couple years ago (when I viewed it, not necessarily when it happened). Can’t recall if the listing sold or what last time it was up on eBay.

1 Like

Damnit, who got it? It sold before my offer was even considered. Haha

The actual article it was showed was a late 2000 POJO magazine. Not sure which one though

I believe this was a typo. The card was printed for the the second Super Trainer Showdown on Nov. 18th 2000 in NJ.

Got the notification for this listing earlier today and I kindof chuckled.

What’s really interesting is that this same card was for sale last summer. I remember bidding on it… Haha, I can’t remember for sure, but I think it ended around $180 but it might’ve been in the $200 range as well. I wasn’t that serious about buying it because it wasn’t an “accidental” miscut, but I did bid and actually only got beaten out by one other bidder. What I’m wondering is if that’s the same seller that had the card last year or if that is the seller that purchased it last year, and he is now attempting to resell it for a profit. I can’t remember who had it… The story lines up mostly with the same description that was on the listing last year. The gloss, crease, size, etc were all part of the description before. (This is the same card because it has the crease in the exact same spot as well)

As far as I know, the story and the card are both real, there’s no issue with that (other than maybe some typos). There’s a magneton/vileplume example too on YouTube from fellow member @thepokemonuncutsheet but I’m unsure if he still has it, as the video is somewhat older (and of lesser quality…) There should be a few more out there, but not many. I think most of them were destroyed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_YDYBkHTTk

4 Likes

I’m the owner of the card. It’s real and it’s been sold. Glad to see the community pull their knowledge together when an oddity pops up.

shhhh is ok bby

4 Likes

You’re the new owner of this card or the old owner of this card? :stuck_out_tongue:

Old owner. :+1:

Didn’t know that was your ebay. Followed. :blush:

Lots of articles by STS attendees were posted here: www.pojo.com/Features/ECSTS2001/ECSTS2001.htm

There is also a photo album here: www.pojo.com/Features/0900/111800STSPojo.html

However, so far I haven’t seen any mention about the miscut cards. The winners seem to have gotten medals on a stage.

I am not knowledged on the event though. It seems there were multiple.

1 Like

I thought the update to this thread, was going to be linking the article about CGC taking a look at them

www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9517/cgc-trading-cards-authenticate-team-rocket-test-prints/

5 Likes

Any idea what the going rate for those error prints are? Those are awesome.

I still have my 2 cards.
Dark Magneton/Dark Vileplume
And Dark Arbok/ Rainbow Energy.

I would like to get the others and the uncut sheet too someday but I have no idea if or when

@ regigigagod I don’t have access to my old YouTube account Thepokemonuncutsheet anymore.
I don’t remember the email or password I used last time.

I went a few years without internet.
So I can’t access that login and have no idea how to get back in.

4 Likes