Mathonsunday's Umbreon And Friends Collection

Hey folks! I started collecting a few months ago. I was a kid when Pokemon first came out, and fondly remember playing the card game. I lost interest as I got older and no longer have my childhood collection. I imagine the cards were pretty beat up! Over the holidays last year I picked up Sword and Shield and finished a Pokedex for the first time. I got interested in the cards because I was looking to connect with Pokemon in more ways.

I have an affinity for dark and ghost type Pokemon, especially Umbreon, Sneasel, Mimikyu and Houndoom. I live in a small apartment, and as a result get the most enjoyment from my binders. I’m still figuring out my goals, but I think collecting all the cards of one of the above Pokemon (to start) would be really rewarding.

I enjoy opening modern Japanese sets because they are cheaper and I prefer the look of the cards. I like to have binder collections minus the secret rares of the sets I love the most. I’d rather not spend the money on a secret rare unless it’s one I really love! Right now those sets are Tag Bolt and Shiny Star V.

I’ll be adding pictures when I have time, but just want to introduce myself and my collection for now!

9 Likes

Hello and welcome :blush: I’m looking forward to seeing pictures

1 Like

The empty space is reserved for my scream promo Eevee which should arrive soon.

Next post I’ll show my graded and potentially gradable Umbreons and Houndooms.

12 Likes

My favorite Houndoom art! I wasn’t seeking a gradable Houndoom, but I think it looks better than my PSA 8. Would love to upgrade to a 9 or even a *gulp* 10 eventually.

While I love the E series art, I don’t love the borders. Going forward, I plan to focus more on the Neo era.

Wrapping it up with Mimikyu! My favorite modern cards are tag teams. The Gengar & Mimikyu alternate art tells such a rich story. I imagine Gengar pressured Mimikyu into commiting a crime. Mimikyu is worried about getting caught and Gengar just says "Don’t worry kid, I do this all the time. Don’t forget to smile for the camera :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: "

9 Likes

When I first got back into the hobby my goal was to get all the WOTC Umbreons in PSA 10. When those became out of reach I kept the dream alive but made some adjustments. Seeing this card in person in this condition feels really special. I also have a binder copy on the way. More Umbreons the merrier!

10 Likes

Hey everyone! Restarting my collection thread since I’m back actively in the hobby. For the last almost 2 years I’ve been casually following the Japanese modern releases and buying singles I like here and there. Unfortunately the Moonbreon art didn’t speak to me so I missed the lower prices.

Collection updates I’ll share once they arrive:

• Set of the first three Japanese Umbreon holos in PSA 9.
  • English Moonbreon
  • Karen’s Umbreon from VS

Down the line might upgrade to a PSA 10 set. Right now the prices for the PSA 10s aren’t in line with the increased enjoyment I’d get from a 10 instead of a 9. If I fall in love with my English Moonbreon I will consider getting the Japanese version eventually. The current prices for it are hard to stomach.

Reflecting on my initial foray into the hobby, I plan to avoid these things going forward:

• Buying modern English
  • Buying non holo versions of cards when I don’t want to pay up for the holo version
  • Buying nicer cards that don’t fit my core collection focus of Eeveelutions and Eevee
4 Likes

Welcome back!! It’s good to have streamlined and well thought out collection goals :clap:. Can’t relate myself though tbh :rofl: