Market Situation: Huge influx of Fake - Proxy Cards

What would it take for pokemon to do something? I agree that fakes have gotten REALLY bad, I feel like I am seeing them more and more by the day. Basically doubles my search results on ebay because half of the results are fakes lol.

Instead of them sending cease and desist to birthday parties and other non-profitable small events, they could go after counterfeiters.

This is yet another aspect that is different in Pokemon. Counterfeits are an absolute joke in other hobbies (sports, mtg). Maybe its the younger audience and how they are advertised to them through hype channels.

2 Likes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeVJguP_T40

This is the most ignorant, dimwitted statement Iā€™ve seen on E4 this year. This community normally doesnā€™t attract this sort. I sure hope itā€™s not changing:*

My point earlier. Most the people on here are sharing the market with literal children, online enraged about counterfeit gx cards or expensive fake cards. If youā€™re over 20 and youā€™re getting took by the hundreds on proxies hang it up. Counterfeits are illegal and they are bad, doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m the problem because Iā€™m like ok Iā€™ll avoid them and know what Iā€™m buying.

@fossilizedagain, That is a pretty cynical oversimplification. There are plenty of maneuvers people do to make fake cards look real. Hell there was an Instagram account steady posting fakes and 90% of the comments were eating them up until I made that thread.

Someone 20+ years old re-entering the hobby might not have the experience to properly identify fakes. Iā€™ve spoken with multiple people who mistakenly bought fake cards.

4 Likes

I have too noticed a big spike recently. It seems the same seller keeps making new accounts and atm whatā€™s report button hasnā€™t been working for me. I reckon Iā€™ve reported about multiple listings from 3-4 new sellers. Amazing how they keep getting away with itā€¦

One thing I noticed with the latest seller is theyā€™re not using the word proxy anymore.

I agree it was a little cynical. But I donā€™t think itā€™s oversimplification. I think if weā€™re now going to talk about people who are re entering the hobby, not kids or supposedly serious collectors, thereā€™s many solutions to that other than getting online and raging on people. Like if this thread was a master list of reputable sellers instead of what it is. Or making a master list of reputable sellers and getting it out in your videos. Idk. I didnā€™t know that everyone who wanted to argue earlier were people just now re entering the hobby.

Kids, adults, what does it matter? Your morals shouldnā€™t change depending on who is getting scammed.

2 Likes

My morals didnā€™t change. If adults are losing hundreds on counterfeits, adults take some responsibility. Since itā€™s a childā€™s game people will try to exploit that for money.

I do not think itā€™s a good thing, Iā€™m against counterfeits. Children arenā€™t on this forum complaining about counterfeits and arguing like itā€™s tearing the hobby apart. Adults are.

The people complaining arenā€™t the issue, the people counterfeiting cards are. Youā€™re letting your emotions take control instead of logic

@fossilizedagain, People are just identifying the inherent negative attributes of fake cards. Perhaps text is difficult to decipher because it lacks tone, but I donā€™t think anyone is raging or anything. Just discussing the inherent negativity that fakes add to a hobby.

Iā€™m being logical. Like itā€™s not a problem. I could see a reason to try to prevent it with people who are adults and just now re entering the hobby. But originally I was told I was the problem for saying let the kids figure it out and know what youā€™re buying as an adult. And others are saying if you donā€™t stand up and condemn counterfeits youā€™re the problem. Thatā€™s not very logical at all because itā€™s just not that big of a problem. And the people on this thread showing outrage at counterfeits are not just now re entering the hobby.

www.kotaku.com.au/2019/10/man-arrested-for-allegedly-violating-yu-gi-ohs-trademark-with-fake-cards/amp

5 Likes

Yea i get that and I didnā€™t respond to any discussion about the inherent negative attributes. I responded to the users who said I was selling counterfeits and that Iā€™m the problem. And calling someone demwitted and ignorant and telling people they are the problem and to stand up and condemn counterfeits is outrage. I mean thatā€™s not identifying the inherent negative attributes of fakes.

@fossilizedagain,
So just let them be and accept the dishonest garbage? I sort of get what youā€™re saying. Itā€™s kinda like just because your making stupid, empty headed statements we still let you be on this forum.

1 Like

What was stupid and empty headed? That dude you just called an ignorant demwit. Probably one of them new people re entering the hobby yā€™all are so worried about getting taken by counterfeiters.

Iā€™m happy to leave this forum the overall pattern Iā€™m starting to really see is that this hobby attracts people who are really emotionally immature. Self righteousness is not morality. Go save the world from counterfeiters big fella. Go save all the ignorant demwits.

Youā€™re like 70 and you probably just told a 15 year old heā€™s an ignorant demwit over a childā€™s game.