Long term investments in Pokémon

Buying, selling, and trading are all a part of collecting.
And
Sometimes collection goals change requiring buying, selling, and trading,

Unless:
Your a collection hoarder like I was for 50 years.

3 Likes

As I’ve said a hundred times as everyone here knows, the franchise as a collectible is safe for at least 20 years after new product is stopped being produced. Now the interest in Pokémon is unprecedented so it’s lifespan may be unprecedented too.

5 Likes

i live in nz so selling on ebay is a hassle and any margin gets taken away by taxes and shipping. so no investing never crosses my mind, otherwise id just buy charizards.

1 Like

Long Typhlosion 17

3 Likes

I know it’s kind of a cliche by now but when I first started I didn’t think about the long game. I just started with what I liked. It happened to be Blaine’s Charizard as one of the ones I had bought. I bought a 1st edition psa 10 copy for like 600. Then as time went on I bought another and another and before I knew it I had 5 of them and the price has almost tripled since then. And now that I have some experience in the market, I can tell that the Blaine zard is still a great buy if you’re looking at the long term.

I also have a trophy kangaskhan. Even though it’s a psa 4(small crease on back thats only visible when looking at certain angle) I would turn down 20k offers. I wouldn’t sell for less than 25k at this point. Maybe 30. Meanwhile you can get a psa 7 copy for 22k on ebay right now. When you have a piece of history, some holders of those cards just won’t sell. That will make the price go up.

A numbers game. Typically what you’ll see with any 1st edition psa 10 WOTC holo is that it usually sells between 5-8x what the 9 sells for. In some cases the upper end will be 10x what the 9 sells for and the lower end is 3x what the 9 sells for. It’s a general rule that’s almost never broken. Two cases I’ve noticed it is in Lapras from the fossil set and Misty’s Golduck from gym challenge. When these cards’ psa 10 version are selling 16 and 19x what the 9 is going for, you know there’s probably room for growth. In the lapras’ case there seems to be a massive amount of psa 9’s but some of those are the same cards being regarded over and over again. Misty’s Golduck has half the amount of 10’s and 9’s so I think the 9 is criminally undervalued. That’s just my opinion.

Typhlosion 17 is a card that has gotten a lot of attention recently. If the psa 10 copy is worth 10k, then I am not shocked at all that a psa 9 sold for 1200. That falls in the upper end of normal where the 10 has a price point of 8.3x what the 9 is selling for. So I think the 9 has room for growth still. Especially because the next 10 that sells will probably sell for more than 10k.

1 Like

Best answer you can get, right there.

I am a collection hoarder without a doubt. I only sell off the HP-EX condition cards, and keep all of the NM-M cards.

I don’t really think of it as “investing” when I’m buying cards
But when you buy in high volume it becomes an investment because if you do decide to sell it later on, the prices will fluctuate.

I plan to get cremated alongside my collection, maybe a Charizard will rise from the flames and take my body off to a burial site. No wait, that’s game of thrones.

3 Likes

My 2 cents: Just collect; i came back around 2016 and everything (literally everything) i bought at least doubled in price.

You dont even have to go years back, less than 12 months ago a 1st Ed copy of a shining Charizard was worth U$S2000 and now is worth U$S4500.

Around a year ago most of the 1st Ed base set holos in PSA9 were around U$S300 but blastoise (700ish and venusaur $590ish according to PWCC from last year). Charizard was around U$S5K.

Nowadays you wont even be able to find any of those cards for those prices.

And im not even talking about sealed product, wich happened to explode in price, some booster boxes are 300% up in price, and most of them are not even in the market.

If i were you i’d go:
A) 1st Ed Base Set PSA9 Holos
B) Any WOTC 1st Ed Holo. PSA10

3 Likes