investment question wotc

hi guys!!

Normally i do buy what i love but this is purely for an investment which i have 2000usd to spend

Im looking at maybe buying a shadowless charizard PSA 9, i already own one copy but may get another one! I am a little stuck on what to do as this purchase will be purely for investment purposes and i cant make my mind up if i would be better getting something else with lower pop in a psa 10 grade such as psa 10 shadowless holos or rare fan club cards such as evvie or even wotc sealed product maybe a better shout. I m looking to hold on to this investment for a good 5/10 years and i need some advice form some more experienced members on what maybe the healthier investment. thanks in advance for any opinions

regards

Dale

1 Like

Population of graded cards can only go up, sealed product availability will only go down.

For future investment purposes, i’d say wotc sealed product is better.

4 Likes

cheers for the response!!

with 2000 usd what you think would be better going for booster packs or a booster box? i was thinking in going for 1st ed base booster pack as the booster boxes id want are already 2500 plus price range

Unless they’ve been growing more than I’ve kept up with I think a 1st Ed Fossil or 1st Ed Jungle box might be a decent idea. If I remember they’re about in your price range and are very iconic items. I would rather have a 1st Edition Base Set in individual cards but I would rather just have a box for Fossil and Jungle. That might just be me though.

2 Likes

Personally I’d sit on the money until you find something that you can snipe for a good deal. I like to have some cash sitting around to make moves with over having to sell something first to buy something else.

I’d also suggest the vanilla answer of buy what you like, this theory has worked out for me so far. When I buy something strictly as an “investment” I get antsy knowing I could of just saved more for my next goal, or something else I have genuine interest in.

6 Likes

That’s a good point. I know I’d be kicking myself if I just spent all my money and some miracle deal came up. On the flip side, however, you will never get anywhere if you try to wait for a miracle deal. You could just be sitting on that cash forever and ever waiting for a local mother to sell you a UniKarp from her away-at-college son’s collection. But I guess that’s just economics… opportunity cost n shit.

1 Like

You can try to find a mint first ed base charizard blister

I wouldn’t buy a shadowless psa 9 charizard if it’s an investment. You can choose from 20 of them on ebay currently

1 Like

Buy a couple hundred Red’s Pikachu cards, grade them, sell them and quadruple your money.

3 Likes

Buy 873 loose Stem Siege boosters.
www.trollandtoad.com/p1098369.html

7 Likes

wotc product in the last 2 years time really caught up fast in terms of growth. hard to say if it will 2x to 2.5x like that again in the future. It should have some steady growth none the less tho (sealed product will always be king).

1 Like

thanks for the reply!! funny you mention i just picked up a minty 1st edition jungle box payed 2500usd for it but was happy to the pay the price considering the condition. I was thinking about a fossil box but from what i can see there seems to be alot more in circulation which was putting me off! maybe team rocket would be a good box to go for, it has a charizard in the set which may also help down the line.

thats an interesting idea!! i have not thought about blisters. what sort of price are these going for?

I’d say buy any series of 1st ed WOTC booster packs. They’ll get harder to find in the future. It’ll also be easier to sell packs one-by-one to keep a steady cash flow from your investment. It’ll be harder to find that one person that wants to spend a boat load of cash on a sealed booster box.

I like boxes over packs, I would never buy loose boosters as there’s always the fear of weighed packs, boxes you don’t have that issue.

6 Likes

would a pack in a blister be classed as unweighed?

www.patreon.com/smpratte

:eyes:

6 Likes

I’m no expert on weighing packs or blisters but I would expect that you could weigh them though there would be more variance in weight making it harder and less accurate, exception being multipack blisters, I’d say those are safe from being weighed.

most people don’t pay premiums for a blister pack to just turn around and open them. it is for sealed product collectors. So weighed or unweighted blisters would not really matter.

may I ask from when on the rares in the packs are unweighable? I know the newer series have a code card that can variate in weight, making it impossible to search booster packs.

I want to say the Sun and Moon era started that. It’s a fairly new thing If I’m not mistaken.

Mjisaacs