Logan Paul On Pokemon ... Shows Box

Honeslty I don’t care, but glad you got some charity cash Gary.

3 Likes

Lol just saw this thread & was expecting a bunch more bitching about LP! People seeing the bigger picture - OG @garyis2000 at it again facilitating a potentially huge boost to the entire hobby. Stoked to see what happens after the video drops in a few weeks, the ideal would be for it to set a chain reaction in motion among other celebs. I get the feeling this’ll be a positive step towards dissolving those social stigmas that still surround Pokemon, hopefully those thoughts of “inside I know I really love PTCG but I can’t act on those feelings cos it’d just look so lame”.

6 Likes

So it was in reality a 165K box and the fees brought the total price to over 200K.

Wonder why none of us considered fees when we saw the price…

1 Like

Yeah my guess is he’s opening it with either Leonhart or Unlisted

1 Like

I can’t get over his passion, you simply cannot deny it. Love it.

A buddy recently told me he hasn’t seen ME this passionate over something, ever. There’s something about this hobby. So glad I found it.

5 Likes

Please not unlisted leaf. That would be super cringy. I would prefer leonhart over him any day of the week.

14 Likes

None of us? We all knew this ha.

13 Likes

I’ll just say this…

I know a lot of people on here have a negative impression of the guy. And that’s fair, I’m sure he earned that in some way. I wouldn’t really know because I was barely familiar with him before he decided to jump into the hobby. I also know that he’s still young and that people can mature over time, so perhaps some of that has been happening too.

My interactions with him have been nothing but pleasant. And listening to him on this podcast video, his genuine love for Pokemon was infectious.

So despite what some other people have said, I for one am glad he’s jumped into the hobby. If he helps in any way to spread love for these cards to more people in my mind that can only be a good thing.

11 Likes

I feel like he’s relatively uninformed about the cards still. He thinks that there’s at most “a handful” of 1st Edition Base booster boxes in existence lol. But how many actually are there? Definitely triple digits, right? I’m also not so sure that 1st Edition Base is “the rarest box”; I’d bet on some of the early-mid EX Series boxes being rarer.

Either way, I do respect his passion for the cards. I’m curious to see if this attention on 1st Edition Base will drive the market for it up even higher. It wouldn’t surprise me…this guy seems to have a pretty big following.

2 Likes

Even if there were a few hundred unopened boxes left in the world, in the grand scheme of things that is basically a “handful.” We don’t know the rarity of the box but we do know the scarcity - only a handful of public listings appear for a box each year. There’s not really any reason to expect this general scarcity to change any time soon, so I’m not sure how much it matters that we don’t know exactly how many are actually still out there.

But yeah, he’s been in the hobby for 2 months it sounds like, so he’s obviously not an expert. Sounds like he’s about as informed as just about anyone else that’s only been in the high-end of the hobby for a couple of months.

It will be interesting to see how long he remains in the hobby. Given what I know about how addicting the hobby can be and given his obvious passion for it, I have a feeling he’ll be sticking around for a while (even if he’s not constantly making Pokemon-related content, because I don’t think he’s about to make the transition to being a full-time Poketuber haha).

7 Likes

I’m thinking there’s at LEAST 1000.

Based on what exactly?

The original 1st edition printing was more limited than people give it credit for, I think (not exactly Alpha but still extremely limited compared to even 1 of the 7 Unlimited print-runs). And I’m sure the overwhelming majority of boxes were opened back in 1999.

I feel like if there were AT LEAST 1,000 we’d be seeing more being made publicly available than 1 every few months. Even PSA 10 1st edition Base Chanseys seem to be available more frequently, and that has a defined population of 46.

2 Likes

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It’s unquestionably the top dog as far as boxes are concerned. I personally think the $200k price is much more deserved than the $20k price is for Base Unlimited boxes…

And I do hope he stays in the hobby. One thing that kind of turns me off about him is that he’s really hyping it as an investment. He said something to the effect of “do you know how much this thing will be worth in 10 years?” I hope that this doesn’t bring draw more uninformed speculators into the market. I hope that it draws in more collectors, but the pure investor types are not good for this hobby long-term.

2 Likes

I think there needs to be an honest conversation about the fact that if you’re entering the hobby today and looking to buy a bunch of 5-figure and 6-figure items, people are generally going to be considering its value as an investment and not just as a collectible that they personally enjoy.

My interactions with the “new money” in the hobby is that it’s a bunch of people very much like Logan Paul - people with a genuine passion for Pokemon who are also looking at it as an investment.

Basically, this is the new reality for the high-end of the hobby and I think people need to get used to it.

9 Likes

A few months ago I made a similar argument with regards to EX Deoxys boxes and people really got bothered by it lol. If we use market volume as a proxy for the amount of something in existence, then 1st Edition Base boxes are much more common than boxes from most EX Series sets. Not that this matters, of course. But if people accept that 1st Edition Base has fewer than 1000 boxes left, then I think that’s an obvious assumption that must be made for most EX Series boxes.

I happen to think that you’re correct, though. I believe that it’s safe to assume that the number of 1st Edition Base boxes existence is in the triple digits (no less and no more).

1 Like

I hate that I actually am finding myself watching this now all the way through lol. Gotta admit, it has its entertaining value there.

Regardless of any judgements of the dude (I dont know anything about him because even though im 29 you might as well call me a boomer) im happy to see his happiness. That goes for anyone really in expressing their love for something they enjoy. The where the real beauty, beyond any preconceived notions, lies.

3 Likes

This is what Logan Paul thread 4 or 5 at this point? @fourthstartcg might as well make this into a mega thread or a banned topic.

The only thread I want to see about Logan Paul is a thread he makes himself showing his collection or introducing himself. There’s no need for everyone to post a thread about everything he says or does!

Edit: After watching the video he doesn’t seem too bad anymore compared to the old videos. This new video I do somewhat like. But my point above still stands. Too many people posting Logan Paul Threads that arnt Logan Paul himself.

2 Likes

I liked the video a lot. He is very passionate about the cards and it can only be good for the hobby as a whole. Don’t think it should be understated the amount of viewers he is bringing in throughout all his platforms

Gary, get him on patreon

5 Likes

You just had to bring the ex series into the conversation somehow haha :grin:

Even though I don’t think I’m gonna watch it, I wish him 3 Gem Mint Charizards if it’s really all for charity.

1 Like

i’ve only seen 2 videos with logan in it, and i do have to say i believe his passion for pokemon. although he’s the type of person that makes a great pitch man, you can reasonably tell that he’s just doing what he loves. his lingo and his arguments for pokemon seems to indicate that he’s watched videos of people in our community and i can appreciate that. to me, his exposure is great for the pokemon hobby, whatever his ultimate goal is - be it money or fame or both. also, i am 100% in agreement that people love the spectacle of opening an item like the 1st edition box. sorry pokerev, your opening was the best thing to happen to the hobby to date on youtube, but logan paul’s opening is going to blow you outta the water. can’t wait. October 9?