So That $54,300 1st Ed. Base Set Booster Box...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsF9bVXLyA

Well here it is. Uploaded 1 hour ago as of the creation of this thread. I was really impressed the guy documented this purchase and thought it was really cool he gave us a look into the process.

Just wanted to make this thread for those of you who might not see this video otherwise. Thoughts?

18 Likes

Damn.

From his introduction, I can tell that he is very inexperience with the current Pokemon market. He is a Youtuber with 750k+ subs and that tells me that we might see this box again in the future for an update on what he will be doing with it.

He said he is not gonna sell it or open it, well, only time will tell.

3 Likes

Yeh I was about to make a post on this, just noticed it on ludkins fb page.
Little conflicted on this video but atleast it went to someone who can learn to appreciate it. It was nice to see he flew Barney and Matty out to authentic it along with Charlie.

What’s your opinion Gary ?

2 Likes

Definitely legit. Bloated price though I’d think.

The video itself is quite interesting to see the process of a significant transaction like this. I do like that he is not opening it also and wants to keep it long term. It will be very interesting what the next box goes for after this video! (My prediction is $55k-$60k)

1 Like

I love it. This is great for the hobby, I didn’t expect a non Pokemon collector to buy the box, but this is where we are. It’s the same outsiders or cross collectors that are going to be buying PSA 10 Charizards for $40-50k eventually and increase your cardboard networth quite a bit. :blush:

I’m well aware a lot of you guys have probably never paid more than $5-10k for these and think he overpaid as it’s not a +EV purchase, but I cannot say this is a bad investment. No one is going to be hitting homeruns like some of you deeply invested since the early days, though there are still good deals to be made.

If I had a spare million, I would have bought this no problem for $54k.

I can respect this.

Nuts to think we could, and probably will have more investors like this get into the hobby who have deeps pockets. Exciting/Scary to see what the market will look like in a year or two from now.

1 Like

I would advise everyone to keep in mind that what you see here has been tailored to a specific audience. It is a product, not the story. :blush:

I wish you’d be more clear, but I am assuming this youtuber did not purchase the box then. Guessing he got the charizard out of it for his marketing efforts and we will see similar product on the market soon… somewhere close to the $70k value he mentioned.

I might be way off… lol

I think what Charlie means is that the Youtuber made this video in a way that his normal fan base could still follow and appreciate, without going too off his normal videos. With having a big account, you start to have a theme (Video Game, Vlogging, etc), So the video isn’t made to appeal to collectors like us, but his fan base.

Edit: Pretty sure he bought it lol

2 Likes

Not in the slightest. He absolutely purchased the box.

I just generally think people are judgmental. Comments like he isn’t a real collector. Which, speaking as the only person that has met him, is a pretty bogus claim.

I don’t have it in me to go into a full speech but in general, a lot of people in the larger collecting world have been a massive turnoff to newer collectors and investors. I used to think it was an age or experience thing but even experienced collectors in Pokemon so often want to tear down others.

The takeaway is this:

The box is incredibly nice and very probably authentic. The new owner knows full well what he has and has gone to great lengths to take care of it and be informed. Whatever anyone wants to say about the value of the box means literally nothing compared to the fact that the sale happened at the price it did.

7 Likes

@swolepoke Bingo. This is a few short glimpses into a larger, more complex ordeal. It’s totally off base to judge the box, the authentication, the buyer, the seller, or anything else on this video.

I was highly impressed with the professionally of the buying party and the selling party and was humbled to have been a part of it. So it really irks me to see people so flippant with the transaction which was proper from beginning to end. We don’t get to decide who is a “proper” collector. And I’m floored by the accusation that somehow the buying party was inauthentic in some way.

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

Being a newer collector myself, I would have jumped on this opportunity as well if I could. There’s a lot of fresh blood investing into Pokemon recently and it is absolutely fantastic for the hobby, experienced collectors should welcome them as they’re the main reason for the growth we are seeing.

@funmonkey54 I think I heard you say on Scott’s podcast one of the reasons this box went this high has a lot to do with the BGS 10 that sold for $55k and I had the exact same thought when it first popped up on auction. This is where I can agree to disagree with people like Gary that think this is super overpriced… Shouldn’t he be happy though, if he has a FULL case? lol

I think this box in particular has a lot of potential in that it is immaculate. The finest versions of collectables often earn substantial premiums. I remember when it first ended and a lot of people said we would see a flood of them on the market.

Still waiting.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s the kind of item I’m 1000000% positive will be worth $100k+ at some point, that price is actually quite lower than a lot of us estimated. I can guarantee if it was sold through pwcc or a top rated seller it would have gone a bit higher.

I expect to see one pop up now and then, but when it comes to 1st ed base people are just hoarding right now…

That’s pretty cool, usually these things just disappear after a sale and people don’t know what happens to them or where they go. Nice to see a video about what happened after the box was won :blush:

3 Likes

I was so confused for the first few seconds of the video whilst it was just voiceover. I thought “Holy shit, my cousin bought it?!” Even after seeing the dude, I wasn’t completely sure it wasn’t my cousin. I’m guessing this guy is from Willenhall or Essington.

Yes, seems overpriced but you can’t get too carried away with the result of a singe auction especially based on an item that there are many of. Personally the actual or perceived value makes little difference to me cause I’ll never sell out of my collection cause fortunately I don’t need to;) The only difference it matters at all is because I still like adding to my collection.

1 Like

Looks like another just hit the market. Wonder if this one will sell quick.

link

3 Likes