Live Chat Feature on E4

I have just made available a feature that will hopefully improve direct user-to-user communication:

Forums are great for asynchronous conversation but sometimes it’s just easier to work things out in real time. Now you can message people through chat which can display as a pop-up window or in full-screen mode: https://www.elitefourum.com/chat

Feel free to drop a test message to @system if you want to test it out (they won’t reply it’s ok) or me if you’re lonely. As always, feel free to report any bugs or weirdness

To initiate a chat, you can click the button any user card:

34 Likes

Fun addition. Thanks for all the work you put in to improve the site @pfm :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is great. Live chat makes it so nice. Thanks pfm

I also have the option to add public channels, but as of now this is a bit redundant with discord.

If anyone has a use case for this let me know.

You should also be able to create private chats with up to 20 people

This is @pfm’s world, we’re just living in it.

Seriously, thank you.

Awesome, now I can throw shade about people’s posts in the unpopular opinions thread with my E4 homies :smile:

Kidding aside, really nice addition! I know we just mentioned this in person in Orlando…perhaps a natural extension of this is being able to see who is actually available to actively chat (similar to discord)? Maybe that’s a dumb idea (or people don’t want it to be known they are online), just thinking out loud.

4 Likes

Great job as always, @pfm!

I like this idea!

Technically this is already a feature, but only turned on for staff:

List of all members online in the last 10 minutes:

The one thing is I get some people might not like to have their online status public [there are a LOT of lurkers]. Currently the only way to hide yourself is to make your entire profile invisible, which is total overkill. It’s on my “get to eventually list” to fork the plugin and make it so you are able to only toggle whether your online status is public. Also the # of guests browsing would be interesting to see.

Unfortunately I’m one person with finite time so you’ll have to wait

4 Likes

Oh great, another place for my haters to bombard me with attacks. Someone just called me a “turnip.” I don’t need this.

6 Likes

Next time it’ll be rutabega, bub.

2 Likes

Youre doing a great job buddy keep up the fantastic work

7 Likes

Youre doing a great job bunny

4 Likes

Love this feature. Any chance to have a live public chat? :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

That would be the E4 discord! Fair warning, it can be a lot different than the forum:

8 Likes

I can’t join the Discord because I am in witness protection and my username there is in use on other parts of the internet. Please continue to add features exclusively for my benefit. Thank you.

3 Likes