Let's talk about it... bubble burst or seasonal lul?

So I’m sure he’s not news to a lot of you. We had a PSA 8 1st ed sell for 2600 last night. It was thin stamp and looked like a weak 8 in my oppinion but still. I’ve been gathering my zard collection for the last year and have made some super good buys and some good sells. Unfortunate the last cards I needed were the big ones and I bought high but hey that’s okay. It happens. The 8 I bought is so clean it’s cleaner than most of my 9’s. I don’t usually send 8’s in for review but this one I will. + It’s thick stamp. I was able to make a few dollars on one of the others I bought as well. (Maybe I’m trying to make myself feel better) . . But DAMN 2600? I hope people hold off on the supply right now for a bit. Or that everybody’s stretched for Christmas and just couldn’t afford more. What are your thoughts?? Like I said this is my first year collecting since I was a kid, so I haven’t braved many winters.

Is there anything anyone can say to convince anyone that thinks it’s a bubble burst that it’s not, or that thinks it’s not a bubble burst that it is?

When prices increase, “is this a bubble?” When prices decrease, “is this a bubble?” - people since 1999

10 Likes

Not even close to a burst bubble… just a normal fluctuation. Sometimes eBay auctions close low during the holidays. It’s relatively normal. Also a slight increase in PSA 8 saturation since Dec 5th.

2 Likes

Good to know! Thanks for that!

1 Like

Anyone on here who’s into data analytics and happen to have modeled overall sale of pokemon cards or specific cards over time, or anyone on here who’s kept meticulous records of past sales over time? They’d be the best bet to answer a question like this.

1 Like

That would be helpful. I have a lot of respect for the members on here who are into that. It would be time consuming! And you’d have to have a real passion for this hobby as a whole.

I’m very into the analytical and computational aspect of it, but the time intensive process of gathering the data is what’s holding me back from doing an actual in-depth analysis myself. If anyone has any sort of collation of numbers/etc. I’d be willing to clean up the information and analyze it!

well one card selling for a certain price isn’t exactly the best of sample sizes to go off of now is it?

2 Likes

From a personal perspective, I have seen a massive uptick in sales on my BIN listings (never list auction),

If your a ‘flipper’ now isn’t the best time as you bought your stock just before holiday and now trying to ‘flip’ for holiday cash lol!

It’s just holiday season, picked up a great deal on the Shining Noctowl PSA 10 1st Edition myself :grin:

2 Likes

Sample size isn’t one card selling for a certain price. It’s the total # of transactions for your chosen card/market.

Edit: Realized this was towards OP, my bad!

I think you cannot define a bubble burst or a bubble with one event… this time there were less people wanting the card, maybe because the time of the year, maybe because of the “weak” 8 grade, we don’t know.

The truth is prices will always fluctuate, this conclusions could be talked about when 10 PSA 8 1st Ed Zards consecutively and consistently sell for lower and lower.

I wouldnt be worried, and I also have been looking for deals in the last couple of days, with less people lurking on eBay and less spending power you can really save some bucks here and there…just wait for 2018 KABOOOMMM :grin:

Happy Holidays to everyone!

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it. Now if you bought at $4,000 and 1 year from now the card is still in the $2,500-3,000 range it would be fair to assume it was not that much of a good buy but unless that very unlikely scenario happens, just enjoy life and Happy Holidays/New Year. :blush:

Another thing to note is that while auctions sometimes set record breaking prices, they’re very high risk so that one sale doesn’t mean very much in the grand scheme of things.

1 Like

Thanks for the imput. Yes you are right. I guess we just need to wait and see. The holidays aren’t helping I’m sure! I’m not trying to be all end of days on this at all! Just didn’t know if this was a normal lul in the market as like I said in the OP I havent braved many winters. And yes this is only one sale but in reality it’s not just that card. I’ve just been watching the maket as a whole slow down a bit and wasn’t sure If you all had any insight into seasonal markets. I feel like some of you need to remember that just because there is an active member on here who is purchasing decently big cards, that they don’t always know everything. Especially about the market. I’m not some band wagoner who is ready to jump off because one sale goes cheap lol. That’s why my post said “let’s talk about it” and not “holy Shit Pokemon is dead in the water” I love it :heart_eyes:

Are you a collector or are you just in it for the money? I purchase my cards for my collection at a price I’m happy to pay, whether the price increases or decreases, it doesn’t effect me

4 Likes

Also the 8 I bought could be worth 1000 next year and I wouldn’t really care. It’s part of my personal collection and I love it! Sometimes it’s about the money but if it’s always about the money then that’s too bad! Money comes and goes too easy!

1 Like

Was typing my last comment as you were typing this

Haha very good :blush:

1 Like

I have no clue who you’re talking about. I can think of at least 3 people that are common knowlege that spend a lot, off the top of my head. There’s even more that this could be reffering to. This isn’t just one person talking, it’s more or less the minority that are saying it’s a bubble. A lot more are looking at it and on the fence, and there’s a group that don’t belive it’ a bubble.

Believe whatever you want, if you feel that this is the time to sell out, let me know I’m sure I’d be willing to take a few cards off peoples hands.