Leaving collections to people in a Will

This is kinda an odd yet serious question/topic but here goes;

My partner is from the US and we are intending to go for a Spousal Visa so he can live in Australia permanently. My lawyer stated that it would be a good idea to take out a will - which I paid and downloaded the forms for today.

Which brought to mind an important question; Who do I leave my Pokemon Card Collection to in the event I die?

For the time being I’ve just written my partner in as the inheritor, but I was thinking of actually giving it to another Mew collector, something Lucas thought was a good idea.

SO HERES TWO QUESTIONS:

Have any of you written your collections into your wills, and if so, what did you decide to do?

IS there another Mew collector on this board?

1 Like

I think it’d be a good idea to organise with someone to be a designated receiver of your Pokemon cards with the purpose of them selling the cards.

Let them keep x% of the sales and have the rest go to whoever you are leaving your other belongings too.

That way your collectables stay in the community, your loved ones get more money and the person in charge of selling them gets some money too.

1 Like

Oh what a lovely thread :slight_smile:

Although I do think there is another Mew collector on these boards too!

1 Like

I don’t want them sold. Ever.

I took a lot of time and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to make that collection. I want it to remain in someone’s collection, forever. That’s why I’d rather assign a benefactor that will agree to keep them in their collection for good.

1 Like

This is actually an interesting topic and one which will apply to all of us who are in it for the long run. On one hand I would say that if I died and it went to any children I would be fine with them selling them if they needed to do so bit I would much prefer they weren’t sold and went to someone who would appreciate them. Might have to forge some stronger relationships with some of you and maybe get something sorted to ensure my stuff is appreciated, if my family aren’t shit poor when I have one haha. Don’t plan on it so one of you is gonna inherit all my gold stars one day haha.

1 Like

Mew collector here

But this is something Ive thought a lot about to. I dont know anyone personally that would have a single clue on what to do with my cards. I cant even imagine them just being sold or given away for nothing. Im sure my girlfriend would at least have a look at some and keep a few. She for sure knows my favorite pokemon at least. But other than that, this is definitely an issue. So i’d say that everyone having some sort of will, or even just a very informed note, set aside for family or friends is a good idea, in case the worst manages to happen to you.

I may actually write something now in fact. Though obviously a will is a better choice.

1 Like

Keeping a good record of what you paid for at least the pricier bits of your collection can always come in handy as well as keeping some people around you who may inherit your things aware of their rough value. Sometimes people will secretly build quite valuable collections over years with little documentation and the loved ones inheriting it become overwhelmed once they take control of them. (Secretly sometimes due to not wanting spouses or family members knowing the amount of $$$ being dumped into it, which isn’t bad when it comes to acquaintances and such, but some people should have an idea, especially if they will inherit it).

Maybe keep some contact info of folks here on the forum with your collection so that if anything were to happen honest trustworthy folks would get the call and pay a fair $ for it to your loved ones. Too often entire valuable collections are literally thrown away or sold for cents on the dollar simply because a person didn’t know what they had inherited.

My own personal experiences here.

I also collect breweriana as well as coins. Both of these collectibles differ from Pokemon greatly in that their main base is much higher in age. That has led to me actually buying many collections from widows/widowers and surviving children and such. More than once I have gone in to buy hundreds to thousands of dollars in items paying a fair price only to learn that what I am buying is only a fraction of what they had initially. First parts being sold way under value. Or that they reached out to me for a second opinion/offer after nearly selling for half or a quarter of the price (or less).

On the other side of the coin too, one widow recently had a full detailed portfolio that the late husband had kept on every single stein purchase he had made in building his collection. She was instructed on his demise to only sell the whole collection all at once for no less than double what he had paid for each. He paid retail (or above) prices all along and I buy to resell and make a few bucks. We were very far apart on any kind of a deal and I am sure she will pass long before the collection is worth half of what she is asking to anyone. It seemed like she really could have used some of the money that was tied up in this collection also. Note this is the other extreme and this must be avoided too. If you someday may leave a large collection try to leave a realistic avenue for its sale with both contacts and pricing considered. Also, if money is so tight that your spouse would really need to sell badly in the event of your passing, question about how much $$$ you put into your collection and think about selling down in the late stages before you pass. I have also bought from many older folks simply looking to pass their cherished items down to the community while they are alive to see the joy in the new owners eyes. Sometimes that can feel as great as adding a nice piece to your collection, regardless of the profit or not.

2 Likes

Time to start a services here so that people who die can get there cards sent to a person and that person can get them to the correct place once they pass away.

i kind of thought about this the other day, in the event that i died, i was thinking i should tell my family to first get a valuation from the guys on this forum before they sell anything because i know they would get hosed lol

2 Likes

Seeing as I’d probably be the first one on EFOURS death list due to my youth, I didn’t just think about this. I had to handle it. I did so via a living trust with an addendum of how to accomplish the dissolution.

It’s actually quite complicated but I can simplify it here.

A) I have pics and a list of most not up for public sale.
B) All my eBays are organized and listed on eBay so that’s simple.

My wishes are my wife picks an item on all odd turns and that’s on behalf of her and my 2 year old daughter. Then my two adult sons alternate taking things on the even turns. Of course this is only the collectibles. All else is listed, with specific instructions, in the family trust.

2 Likes

my collection of no raritan Pristine 10, and psa 10 will be my legacy and shall never be for sale and must go in museum… if my family sells dem, i will haunt them with fire… and if noone here buys dem back to protect the collection and put in musem den i will haunt you all to. :ninja:

2 Likes

Actually as creepy as it sounds, I always think about who would @garyis2000 pass his cards onto. I would worry that his kids would probably sell them. So if I was Gary I would pass them off to Rusty. He would probably know exactly how to preserve them. Who knows, he might even open up a museum one day where they would live on forever. Of course I am no one to tell Gary the Great how to live his life.

1 Like

I know people here seem deadset against their cards ever being sold, but my stance is these are my collectables and when they need to be passed on, they should go to people who will actually want them.

I would rather my children sell my assets and be able to pursue their own hobby rather than feel any guilt to keep items they may not even care for. This in turn may help actual collectors who are chasing items that have the cashflow to facilitate the needs of my children at the time.

I will be leaving specific instructions for my children to NOT take advantage of anything that may have risen drastically in value and to sell (should they wish to not keep) at below market value. Of course, what they do is their choice, but ultimately it is up to me to instil values onto them that would lead them to “look after the customer”.

6 Likes

Agree with oz. When im gone id rather my benefactors sell the shit and live a little better than keep it in a cupboard just cos i spent a lot of time building it.

3 Likes

Very well said:)

1 Like

The mistake of humanity… Sacrificing the precious things, and what matters for short term profits… xD YET HERE I AM SELLING GOLD STAR 9.5’S FOR SHORT TERM PROFITS… WTF IS WRONG WITH ME… WHAT HYPOCRISY… A GREAT MAN ONCE SAID " Hypocrisy, humanities greatest virtue "

SEE THE CIRCULAR REASONING I HAVE TO DEAL WITH… I will throw things.

1 Like

TBH I just can’t bare the thought of my collection being split, which is what would likely happen if someone sold it. People would only be interested in the rare cards, and it breaks my heart.

That’s why I’d rather it go to a collector, not sold.

3 Likes

I understand that you don’t want your collection to be split but thinking long term, I think this is a bit unrealistic. What happens when the collector you give it to dies? Will he then have to give it to another collector in a never ending cycle? Somewhere down the line a collector is going to sell/lose/forget about the cards.

Apologies if I come off a bit negative, just my two cents, not trying to take a piss on your dreams.

1 Like

That’s totally cool too. I love hearing the passion of other people’s collections!

1 Like