Keep sealed or peel card?

I have been buying up Snap Pikachu cards in hopes of eventually getting a PSA 10. I bought this Pokemon Trainer Magazine Vol. 1 with a sealed card inside. I think it has some light scratches on the back so likely will only get an 8 or 9. My question is would I be better off keeping the card in the Magazine unpeeled or should I peel the card and have it graded and then send the magazine off the be graded. What would be a better option from a collectors standpoint?

PSA 10 > Sealed > PSA 9/8 > Raw

If you think it’s a guaranteed 8 or 9, you’re better off keeping it sealed.

1 Like

Which pretty much means keep it sealed.

Keep it sealed, especially if you got multiply copies of the card already.

^^^

I am curious, does everyone think psa 10> sealed?

Surely it cant always be the case?

Just a questions for a cheeky discussion

PSA 10 is suppose to be a guaranteed “Gem Mint” Card. Top Tier.

Not every card that’s sealed or unpeeled is Gem Mint, or even Mint sometimes. I think every here has a story of opening a sealed product in hopes of a PSA 10 and it wasn’t the case.

I understand that bit, however there must be items that are better off sealed? I know you can grade cards, booster packs etc. If there are items that are better sealed or someone thinks will be better sealed…id be very interested to hear them.
The ultimate goal for a card is a gem mint 10 psa graded card…however what else is there? if anything

For me the question is collect-ability and value. A graded magazine might bring $50 to $100, but if the card grades a 9 it could likely bring $150 to $250. So for me it seems like it would be better to grade the card right now, but in the future it might have been better to keep it sealed and grade the magazine if they become more sought after. I don’t see that happening though.

I got this total for like $46 including shipping and no one else bid on it, but the card raw is going for $50 on avg, but this was a foreign seller so maybe people missed it. I have yet to see another one of these magazines with the card on ebay.

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=japanese+snap+pikachu&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Not to burst your bubble man but your numbers are a bit off.

Looks like a PSA 9 copy sold recently for $48, and multiple sealed copies going for $25-$30. There’s even a sealed copy on ebay right now for $26.

Do you have a link to it? I’ll buy it lol I have been searching and searched earlier and there were no results for trainer magazine vol 1.

And the PSA 9 was bought by me and the magazine. It was the only one on there and with shipping cost me $53 not 25-30. The PSA 9 had 2 for sale one for $50 and one for $250 so naturally I snagged the cheap one lol.

A PSA 10 card is always better than a sealed product. One might say that it is, in fact, the end goal of having a sealed product.

The issue is, you can’t compare the two (sealed vs 10). Most cards (90% or more) will get a PSA 9. If you pull a card fresh from a pack with no flaws, expect a PSA 9. As Bob Ross always said, there are no PSA 10s, just happy accidents.

A good rule of thumb is to take the price of the possible contents of a sealed product in PSA 9 and compare it against the going price of a sealed product itself. If the PSA 9s will net you more than the sealed box, crack it open.

For instance 1st Edition Base set booster boxes are always, always better off sealed. You’d have to be a colossal numbskull, really, really rich or an insanely reckless gambler to crack open one of those at this point. The reason is simple: most holos (90%) that you will pull from a 1st Edition Base Set box will invariably be PSA 9s. Don’t think so? Watch this. That’s what you should expect back from a 1st edition base booster box opening: it’s an average opening (he got 1 charizard, sometimes you get none). And the value of those returns is a tiny fraction of what you could sell it for sealed. Sealed, a 1st base booster box can potentially hold 3 x 1st Edition Gem Charizards, each of which sells for $18K+. Now this is incredibly unlikely but it makes for a great sales pitch. There are people out there that would buy a sealed box based on its potential and pay $15-20K, probably more with the price of Charizard skyrocketing. You can take that cash and buy most of the 1st Edition Base Set holos in PSA 10 anyways.

To contrast this: sealed base set theme decks are usually good to crack open. You can get them for less than $50, they’re abundant so you don’t feel like you’re defiling the Mona Lisa, and have a decent chance of being shadowless. Gem and even mint shadowless holos will net you $100-400 or more. And if the cards aren’t shadowless, you can hock the sealed pack as ‘open box’ to make 50-70% of your money back. To people who have the capital to gamble, it’s a worthwhile investment with decent odds and hefty returns when you get lucky.

I know some of the old timers here are tired of hearing this from me but…if you have to ask “sealed or peeled/graded/etc” KEEP IT SEALED! When you’re CERTAIN of what to do and you want it graded then go. PSA will still be open;)

1 Like

That’s pretty cool, I’ve not seen this before. I’d like to see more pictures if you have one that’s not sealed.

I can take some tomorrow. This one is not sealed just in perfect shape in a sleeve with the card still inside.

1 Like

Here’s a full album of the magazine. Enjoy.

Trainer Magazine Vol. 1