Mario & Luigi Pikachu Box - keep sealed or open?

Hey everyone, I hope everyone had a safe and cool weekend.

So there is something on my mind, I’ve been debating really hard to crack open my sealed Mario & Luigi Pikachu box. They seem to grade really well, but I’m not sure if I’m just better off keeping the pair box sealed.

I don’t plan on selling the set slab / sealed box anytime soon. Most likely I’ll keep it for another 5 years or so. The box set have been stored in a control temperature setting for the last few years, so I’m not worry about it being warped or being properly stored.

1 Like

LET THOSE BABIES OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! In all honesty, if you want the cards and will appreciate the cards more than the box, then crack it. If you don’t particularly like the cards, keep it sealed. You can never go back to being sealed so you can always play it safe.

4 Likes

Personally I like the artwork so would rather open the box and grade the cards, with a high chance of getting 10s. But comes down to Personal preference, and whether your a slab collector or sealed collector.

Open sesame.

1 Like

Personally I usually open my promo boxes, intro decks, starter decks etc. (where the contents are predetermined). It’s very different from a booster box (with unkown contents), because you don’t lose any ‘potential’ value by opening it.

When you open it and make sure that the cards stay in pristine condition, you have the cards + inserts + the box to look at. To me, that’s more valuable than the intact plastic wrapper.

1 Like

Open for the fun

Check the pop report. There’s a ton of 9s as well. Speculating that all 4 promos out of the 2 boxes will grade a 10 is a gamble. If you don’t care about the value too much and just like the card and you’re ok with it being a 9 then open them. If you would like to hold onto the value, keep it sealed. But as someone mentioned you can never “unseal” it. As tempting as it is to open, my personal opinion is to keep them sealed. I also got them just a few months ago by paying top dollar in today’s market and I can understand the pain!

2 Likes

Dude I have been debating this myself. I have the half art PSA 10 set, but do not have the FULL art set. BUT…I have a sealed box of each. I kind of want the full art promos, but I’d have to pay a lot of money in PSA 9 or 10. Might be worth it just to open. Cheers.

I keep things sealed until I’m in a “eh” mood and I need a little pick me up(I find myself opening everything). If you are planning on selling in the future and you aren’t connected to the artwork I’d always say keep it sealed & I don’t think the box looks half bad imo. If you do crack it please share!
:blush:
v/r

odds

2 Likes

Keep sealed, you cant unopen once you have

1 Like

I just don’t really see the reason why you’d want to keep it sealed if you want the cards (that you know are in there). Does the plastic wrapper really bring you more joy than the cards? After you unpacked it, you still have the exact same set of contents than before, with the only difference being that you can actually look at all of them now.

But I don’t understand sealed video game collecting either, so maybe I’m just weird in that respect.

1 Like

Keeeeeeeep sealed!

Thats what I’m doing with all my Japanese Promo/Poncho Pikachu boxes.
Once you open the seal you will never get that back. If you want the promos I would buy them separately in addition to your sealed box.

1 Like

This is great advice, and probably one of the best way of going about it for boxes with promo cards

Take out the best cards and reseal it. Not really. I would grade them myself.

1 Like

Hey guys, thank you so much for the response!

This is purely an investment product for me, albeit a really long term. So it sounds like I’m better off keeping it sealed. But I guess things can change anytime.

Keep it seallllleeeeeeddddd

That’s tough. I couldn’t keep it closed knowing those beautiful cards are in there. GOOD LUCK SIR.