Junichi Masuda leaves Game Freak for broader position at TPC

corporate.pokemon.co.jp/media/news/detail/223.html

1 Like

What effect will this have on the market?

11 Likes

i assume this is a troll comment. the question is what effect will this have on pokemon. masuda might propose more interactive campaigns similar to the masuda promos from the 90s. that would be my hope… various products/promotions that reflect the nature of the brand. making the products more interactive with the brand as a whole instead of just being things you buy and stick on a shelf.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. Pokemon has long been a lifestyle brand in Japan, appearing in product and service categories (personal care, culinary equipment, public transit, etc.). It seems like Masuda is poised to push that even further. I’m excited to see where the brand goes next.

4 Likes

we can only hope TPCI takes some of those practices and applies them to their practices

1 Like

so you’re saying, start buying shining fates ETBs?

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this decision was forced on him. The recent Pokemon games have been the center of criticism, especially SwSh, and Masuda is was one of the figure heads at Game Freak, aside from Shigeru Ohmori. Who knows, maybe we will now get games that are more innovative and don’t look like last gen.

He probably just wants to step back from the dirty work while earning the same amount of money. A Japanese game development career is very different than in the US or somewhere like that. Dude probably takes the bus to work every day.

he hasn’t been lead director since XY