Are the Pokemon games sustainable?

My knowledge of game development is limited; however, I’m curious if you guys believe that the current growth of Pokemon is sustainable?

Currently, there are about 900 Pokemon and every few years an additional 100 Pokemon (on average) is added to the franchise. As of now, GF has hundreds of models to develop due to having to create several models for each Pokemon and create general models for each move. Do you guys believe that GF can keep up with these demands in addition to demands for updated graphics, new storylines, new characters, new regions, and new features? I believe that it could be fine if GF expands their development team or if the Pokemon Company and Nintendo increase deadlines.

Thoughts?

I do believe so, especially with Regional Variants, which are, to some extent faux new pokémon. Also there’s an almost infinite room for spin offs and new ideas

1 Like

It probably *is* possible to keep going, but I wish they wouldn’t. I wish they’d stick to the base pokemon that they’ve already created and work on expanding and exploring the actual gameplay

12 Likes

pokemon to me has always seemed like a simpler card game. Perhaps to keep it accessible for young players? However, young players should not be underestimated, with some young players having relative success in MTG over the last few years, complex games are certainly also for kids. I feel that new pokemon mechanics in the TCG would have to mirror mechanics in the video games. That also seems to be what they’ve done over the TCGs history, and it makes it more approachable and relatable for kids to pick up after playing the video game…

It’s a great topic for discussion tho, because game mechanics ARE the best way to expand and promote a game. The other element would be story, which MTG also does, and one thing I love about it. But PkMn… not so much. There iare some great stories, but they don’t often get into the cards.

1 Like

The real answer is probably ‘Sort of’

In order to combat the inflation of new pokemon and the associated work involved - Half of their ‘new game’ releases will be remakes/reboots/spin offs, like Let’s Go Pikachu, Diamond/Pearl remakes, Arceus game. And only occasionally they make a new gen game like Sword/Shield.

But I agree with the general sentiment that they do not need to create brand new pokemon in such a rapid fashion. People are definitely not sick of the first 450~ pokemon out of the 900 that exist. There is a lot of content that can still be made off of those. They can probably get away with a new gen every 5-6 years, instead of 3.

Video game engines are so modular between platforms and future consoles that they can just focus the modelling of what they have already in regards to pokemon models and existing attacks. And over time it will flesh out more and more.

Part of me Does think that the TCG is also responsible for the creation of new pokemon however, it does add excitement for some to have brand new pokemon in Full art/secret rare form. How many Pikachu/Charizard/Gen 1-2 pokemon do we already have in many different full art forms? Could get old for some.

And new pokemon create a demand for new ‘First Appearance’ cards which most boomers like us dont care about, all we say silently is: ‘Grrrr its not gen 1-2’

It’s cool for kids to say: I have the New pokemon in Full Art! Its now the strongest pokemon! etc.

2 Likes

They don’t need new pokemon, because they can start printing the Abra line again. Hell. All they need is an entire set of Kadabra/Alakazam split-off forms! :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, Legend of Arceus may be GF’s way of combating the inflation issue. If it is successful (which I’m sure it’ll be), then GF can focus on “untraditional” games with he current Pokemon lineup. Games like the Legend of Arceus aren’t expected to introduce new Pokemon. As lavendergengar stated, they can add new regional variant that act as faux new Pokemon. The regional varients will have similar mechanics and can reuse animations.

The solution of rotating pokemon in and out each generation was probably the only way to make it sustainable but because if the community outrage during swsh, I don’t know how they will pull it off.

2 Likes

The Pokemon Video Games drive the franchise and provide the platform needed for the other streams of revenue to provide profit.
Mainly merchandise, which is the #1 earner for them by far. There is of course lengthy discussion to be had about the viability of the franchise going into the future, but at the end of the day. They are doing just fine.

6 Likes

Yup, I have no doubt that the company will continue to excel in the immediate future. At this point, the franchise is “too big to fail”. Pokemon is popular worldwide and in Japan it is deeply ingrained in their culture that they even make Pikachu the mascot for the Tokyo Olympics.

Though as PkmnFlyingMaster mentioned, it seems like GF is trying to come up with strategies to deal with it. One of their strategies may have been including a subset of Pokemon for SwSh but there was too much controversy with the Dex cut.

I’d prefer a new game play design over new Pokemon these days. Pretty rinse and repeat at this point.

2 Likes

Playing as Team Rocket, having a Nuclear Catastrophe that change Monsters etc
Luckily a lot great Roms out there to play. Even possible to play them with Gameboy if you manage to find them.

1 Like

yes

there’s so much “lore” in the pokemon and characters that the amount of spinoffs and different games types they can pursue (and already have done so) means the franchise will always be fresh.

Imagine a stardew valley/harvest moon Pokemon game. I mean… c’mon. That would be insanely fun. No battling, but you needed to use pokemon for stuff at your PokeFarm.

2 Likes

Yes! One of the reasons I loved the games is due to them encouraging exploration. You would find different locations that has no relevance to the story and you would miss if you weren’t using a guide or didn’t explore (Pacifidlog Town, Abandoned Ship, and Mirage Island from Hoenn, Wayward Cave and Old Chateau from Sinnoh, Desert Ruins and Abbysal Ruins in Unova, etc). My biggest issue with SW/SH wasn’t Dexit, it was the lack of exploration.

Side Pokemon games are actually fun, I spent countless hours playing Mystery Dungeon and Ranger.

I’m 99% sure they have their own bespoke tools that automate rigging and some other technical elements to a certain extent which help ease the workload.

They certainly are sustainable because workforce scaling is a thing. So many answers above have already tackled the more appropriate question of whether they should continue to aggressively expand the lineup.

Whilst there are many logical explanations in the ‘no’ and ‘sort of’ area, we have to remember that the franchise needs to continually entice new fans to the base. There needs to be new and exciting Pokémon to encounter, to keep things fresh. Without new ‘mons, the franchise faces the prospect of growing stale.

That being said, it probably doesn’t need to be aggressive expansion for every new generation. There’s many options for diversifying their catalogue whilst reducing their workload and the sheer volume of new Pokémon. Branched evolutions, regional variants, evolutions of existing ‘mons for example, create this effect without having to create a whole line.

Where I personally see the biggest issue is the stale gameplay mechanics. The lack of difficulty scaling options, the linear progression, lack of recurring (fan favourite) mechanics and so on, frustrate the ageing player-base. These are all things that they could implement that generate options that don’t impede the fun and progression of newer players.

2 Likes

It always annoys me when people say “hurr durr pokémon games are so easy now”. Newsflash: they always were, we were just kids and they seemed harder.

1 Like

I personally don’t think so. There’re so many QoL things in modern games that make it stupidly easy to get to the endgame within a day or two. Perhaps older games were harder as a consequence of developer oversights, or bugs, or whatever other shit they had, but they were harder nonetheless.

6 Likes

They need to add a nuzlocke mode in the games. I think that’d be alot of fun… Even though you can just make the rules and play it that way on your own, I find myself cheating a bit :stuck_out_tongue: