Jungle or Fossil Collectors: Is the trend still going up?

I’m looking to pick up some fossil and jungle 1st edition PSA 10s at some point. I am just starting in the hobby and would like to know from some more experienced collectors if it is a good time to buy either of these sets. If so, what do you see as some possible undervalued or sleeper cards?

I know you can get the packs pretty cheap. But from what I’ve heard/read you pull a lot of 8’s and 9’s from the packs and about 35% psa 10’s if you send them in for grading.
I can’t really say for sure about what might shoot up in value. Dragonite and Lapras from the fossil deck are always sought after. Kangaskhan from jungle deck is hard to come by too.
It looks like more fossil booster boxes are sold each month than the jungle boxes. This makes me think that there are less jungle boxes in circulation so in the future I’m actually going to purchase a 1st edition sealed box and just hold on to it. A general rule I’ve seen is that on a long enough timeline, psa 10 cards go up in value. Even if I were to pay $500 for a 1st edition psa 10 holo lapras and over the next few months i see it being sold at $400, that’s okay because I know in 5 years it most likely will go up.

To be honest the undervalued cards are probably the uncommons and commons. 1st edition psa 10’s you can get for like $20 a pop. Sometimes cheaper at auction. I’d say those cards are undervalued!

They have gone up in price. This time last year first edition fossil booster packs were selling for 20-25 tops and now they sell for around 30-34 each. I’ve been selling them slowly so I can state the price increase as fact.

OP is talking about buying PSA 10s, not loose weighed packs that contain $5 worth of cards. lol

I don’t really expect huge growth when it comes to the holos from either set, but I think you will do alright if you’re in for the right price. Try to get some deals at auction, a lot of these cards can be had for way less than $100 which seems pretty cheap.

A sealed box of each would be a good buy too, though if you can’t afford them just be patient and you can probably purchase full holo sets. Just don’t over pay. Don’t be one of the guys that paid close to a $1000 on a Lapras. :grin:

Crazy thing is, Lapras is already going at $255 on the current PSA auction. Kangaskhan not to far behind, at $222.50. And there is still 6 days left.May not be such a fluke after all. Which is fine by me, I’ve got plenty of fossil and jungle cards in great condition, just begging to be graded :sunglasses:

I am curious to know why do you think they are undervalued ?
From what I saw, many commons / uncommons 1st edition PSA 10 (Jungle / Fossil) got a big spike in price last year, but they are already returning to their starting price (from 2016).

As turkey90, I am starting in the hobby and I would like to buy some 1st edition PSA 10 from first sets (Base set, jungle, Fossil) because they are affordable, but besides the collecting aspect, I am not sure they are undervalued. I even asking myself if they are already overrated :laughing:

1 Like

Personally, I don’t think the “trend” is still going up, in fact I think the trend did not change at all. Prices of fossil cards I bought roughly 1 year ago is still selling at the exact same prices I have purchased them for.

1 Like

That’s why I think they’re undervalued. Because we’ve already seen them at higher prices. If I can get them at $20 a pop, I will buy as much as I can. There’s an auction going on right now and only the eevee is above $15. Everything else is less than that which is fine with me. The ebayer pokemonrevolution usually has good deals too.

I believe he’s on Efour, perhaps it would be good to talk to him about making a bulk purchase! @pokemonrevolution

2 Likes

For jungle cards, a lot of the 10s have seen a 25% to 50% population growth in the last 6 months. Some cards are still sitting at pop 50 and some have already broken pop 100.

Will the demand slowly grow with the population to keep prices stabilized? Will the amount of 10s being graded slow down? Is the current rate at which 10s are being graded and sold not fulfilling the current demand?

You should understand the data, make your best prediction and choose whether or not it’s best for you to buy now, later or never.

2 Likes

I disagree, I think they are valued properly. There is a very large amount of 1st edition Jungle/Fossil commons and uncommons of PSA 10 quality out there… I have a big stack from several booster packs i opened that I’ll add to submissions if I need to reach 100 for PSA bulk grading. I think that not so many people are grading them right now. I do believe there will be consistent supply at least for a few more years for commons and uncommons outside of 1st edition base.

2 Likes

My attempt at interpreting the Jungle data. I’m very new to PSA and may have overgeneralized with this attempt (for instance I slightly prioritized 10s, but only gave it extra weight not made it the focus); all data taken from PSA APR tab

puu.sh/At2yo.png

It’s been going down, something like 20% down

Take it from someone that already completed both sets and watches prices closely

I decided to build another set tho due to current prices which i feel are a little too low