Japanese VS Impressions

I’d like to get an idea of how e4 overall feels about this series.

1 Like

I’ve never paid much attention to Japanese Cards. However, when RockCarolina was shutting-down his business, I bought a large portion of his inventory - including Vending Series and VS Cards. When I started sorting through my purchase - and coming across the Vending and VS Cards - I thought they were the coolest thing! I’d literally never seen (or heard of) those cards! Vending Series is my favorite; however, I also LOVE the VS Set - art-work is just AMAZING on those cards!

In regards to value… I’ve been wanting to purchase one of these sets for awhile; however, I cannot justify the $750.00 to $1,000.00 price-point via BIN. The two past sales via eBay Auction have been $380.00 and $660.00. I personally think the value is around $500.00 to $600.00 to the right buyer.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

I love it, It’s really inexpensive. i personally own a full mint set and seperate psa 10 holo set.

The set has some really interesting artwork
With a different illustrator for each gym leader/E4 member.
Definitely a must have for everyone imo.

I put my set together myself and the TM’s were an absolute bitch to find at the time lol.

4 Likes

Unique artworks in the set for many pokemon adds a reason for primary english collectors to pick up the set

2 Likes

Love it.

1 Like

Are we talking about these or others more?

4 Likes

I think it’s a fantastic set, the consistent art style between gym leaders makes it very collectable.

I might start acquiring some of them one day but it’s definitely low priority since there are so many other things I’d rather collect. Another thing I noticed when looking into Karen’s umbreon is that the pop is pretty high and it’s also an easy 10. I think anyone interested in this set has a lot of time on their side.

2 Likes

Gym Heroes/Challenge take-2 with better art. Japanese only keeps it flying under the radar. I’m a fairly new collector so when I started digging into sets released after Neo Genesis, the VS series was a nice surprise.

1 Like

My favourite set of all time. I’m glad I was given the opportunity to buy a nm-mint set when I went on my trip this year. Was trying to piece it together for AGES.

3 Likes

I havent looked into it much, I have seen a few videos, ebay,pics and bulba but never held any in my hand.
Seems like a pretty cool set, unique art and all round nice set.

2 Likes

Karen’s Umbreon is one of the most beautiful cards I have ever purchased imo. I really think there are a lot of gems to be found. Underrated for sure.

4 Likes

Great comments.
I’d like some opinions by Scott etc,

1 Like

Thanks for trying out the free trial of SMPRATTE OPINIONS™.

For information and registration of the full version, please click the link below!
www.patreon.com/smpratte

6 Likes

Good job PFM.

2 Likes

Vs set is one of my favourites as well, really awesome art, and for the most part it is a Japanese exclusive set.

Yes, there is English cards, but they are extremely rare and almost non existent, as i believe they printed some runs, but i don’t think they ended up marketing it to the foreign market. Some popped up on ebay a while ago.

Overall the artwork is amazing, there was some new artists on the scene trying to make a keen impression. It’s the type of set which will hold some value down the line, due to aesthetics, and being technically a Japanese exclusive set as it was never released in booster form to the foreign market. Foreign collectors will want to cross this set off, as it contains a ton of unique artworks, and is extremely popular with hardcore collectors.

1 Like

Sorry we Peasants arent good enough ;D!!!

I liked Scotts video, the set is really nice! I’m a huge fan of the Umbreon and its a very unique set. The Japanese sure know how to create Pokemans cards

3 Likes

Thoughts on this?

:nerd_face:

2 Likes

VS series was one of my favorite sets that I wanted to collect way back in the days. I found a store selling packs and sealed boxes for less than $100 a pop. I still remember doing openings of those cards and still to this day have my full complete set and sealed packs of them. youtube played a big part of this series being one of the most expensive set to complete in japanese.

3 Likes

I actually love this set and am very close to having a complete set. I think that the fact it is a japanese only release, has a different card layout to any other set and that it has a very very hard to find set of variants in the TMB decks all really comes together to make it a sought after set. I always group VS and WEB together as those were both released close together with the e-reader borders and think they are both great.

1 Like

VS IS my favorite set in the hobby. What stands out to me is how there are a handful of common and unsummons which fetch $10 or $15 dollars. So Pokémon VS is not a set where the only challenge involves buying the holographic cards. Though some commons and uncommons only fetch the usual $1-$2, there are many commons and uncommons which are relatively difficult to obtain and provide the set with a strong core. (For example, as the Espeon’s, Lance Cards, Articuno, Gengar) Not to mention, Legendary Rocket cards!

Lastly, and perhaps more importantly, the fact that it is a Gym Series for the 2nd generation makes me love it even more. I adore Gym Hero and Gym challenge. Gold Silver and Crystal were also my favorite games, so its cool that I can own the card from a Pokémon I remember from the Gym Leaders and even the Elite Four! (Whitney’s Milktank, Morty’s Gengar, Jasmine’s Steelix, Lance’s cards).

2 Likes