Japanese VS booster packs/boxes

These are essentially the follow-up Gym series to the original Gym Challenge and Gym Heroes. Never had an English release.

I just started looking at the set. It doesn’t seem to pop up much on eBay. Apart from what I read on Bulbapedia, anyone know a little more on the print run? Were there unlimited versions? They seem to be pretty unique: first time Japanese releases had 1st edition, first e-series ever, came as half decks (30 cards vs traditional 11/10-card packs), and was the first set to use the current Japanese back design.

Anyhow, appreciate any insight!

@yz2428
Only unlimited japanese card you’ll be seeing is Pryce’s Lapras promo.

One of my all time favorite sets!

I collected the VS series back in early 2010. it’s one of the very rare card sets I loved to open. The cards alone were great to look at and the artwork was stunning. There were 3 different packs grass/lighting psychic/fighting and fire/water. you would need at least 4-8 of each pack set to actually complete the entire list of VS as each pack had 4 different holos to pull from. the hardest set for me was getting fire/water as that was the pack that included lances charizard. The set only came in 1st edition form and it’s one of the sets everyone wants due to the crazy amount of pokemon in it like karen’s umbreon

1 Like