Is this Shadowless Charizard BGS 9.5 worthy?

So… I’ve never graded with BGS. But I’m thinking I may have to change that.

The issue is that I have a Shadowless Charizard and it’s in absolutely fantastic all-around shape… but it has awful centering which I’m pretty sure would prevent it from getting a PSA 10.

Here’s the card:

Is it worth breaking my PSA grading habit and finding a way to turn this into a BGS 9.5?

.@namespace url(XHTML namespace);@namespace url(XHTML namespace);SaveSave@namespace url(XHTML namespace);SaveSave@namespace url(XHTML namespace);SaveSave

That’s a pretty solid 8.5-9 on centering… it looks to be near to 60/40. I know PSA would give it a NM/M 8-8.5 probably 60%-70% of the time. So if they were to be generous and give it a 9 then they’d have to give it 9.5-10 on all else. It’s a close call.

A few of mine have the same thing… mint/flawless on all else… except centering :cry:

1 Like

Well on my Gold Star Rayquaza it’s got whitening on the corner and a little bit better centering and I got a 9.5. I’d say give it a try. If it doesn’t work out just regrade it with psa.

Wait… Maybe I’m crazy.

Is there any way the centering on the front makes it to 60/40 or better?

If it does I might as well just try to get a PSA 10 lol@namespace url(XHTML namespace);

I think PSA would be less likely than BGS by a good margin… in my experience it depends on the grader though.

Here’s one I was watching that has similar centering, so who knows… Maybe give both a try :blush:

pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=322789999003&globalID=EBAY-US

Visually it looks like 65/35 or 60/40 left-right to me but maybe someone here can do the pixel test

3 Likes

You need both left/right and top/bottom. With the images slightly angled you’re going to have bad results unless you know the forumla for the angle.

It’s always interesting when you insert yourself into a conversation you know nothing about. I’m also glad that my first impression of you was as accurate as it’s turning out to be.

While rotations in 3 dimensions do change the lengths of segments (e.g., the length of the borders) from a perspective point, they do NOT change the ratio of those segments. It’s called cross ratio invariance of projective geometry. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-ratio#Projective_geometry

Also, I didn’t bother with the top/bottom centering as it’s clearly better than the left/right, which is below the 60/40 standard set by PSA.

@hypernova , I’m surprised you responded, I thought you blocked me.

I’ll keep in mind I know nothing about what PSA looks for in centering. Fine my angle point is wrong (just proves I’m human). I’m not as convinced about the top bottom ratio, as you are, that it’s within range when you combine both contering. After all I got 106 top, and 127 bottom which gives me about a 45-55 ratio.

I’d post the standard for PSA’s centering, but I don’t know what I’m talking about anyway, so what’s the point?

(For those that don’t hate me for no reason. It’s extreemly close on the ratio and if I’m slightly off it’s not within range.)

Edit for Fun: hypernova’s very first thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/what-the-heck-is-this-charizard-card-topsun/17494/1

I do have you blocked. Unfortunately, the forum still alerts that a topic I’ve participated in has been responded to and displays your name as being the last person that’s responded.

Since your delicate sensibilities are so thoroughly offended and you’ve been utterly disabled after being pointed out you’re wrong, I’ve done the measurements for the top and bottom and provided you with PSA 10’s grading standards:

I’ll let the forum decide who’s ‘sensibilities are so thoroughly offended’. You do need to keep in mind I didn’t know about cross ratio invariance when I posted that otherwise I would have done the ratios myself in the beginning.

You can also see how close the ratios are based on what PSA’s standards are (combine that with my lack of knowledge about cross ratio invariance and you can deduct my reasoning from there). Now I’m man enough to know when I’m wrong, and I’m willing to admit it. If those numbers are indeed correct it appears it’s within range.

Okay so this fight you guys are having is amusing. But in the meanwhile…

Holy shit I might have a PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard that’s just been sitting in my binder collection for a decade. I also have a Blastoise that is in exactly the same situation. I don’t see any whites, scratches, or printing lines on either of these things.

Thank you both!

@namespace url(XHTML namespace);

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a fight, he’s just a sad little boy that doesn’t like me for some reason. I seriously don’t know what I did to him.

Nobody quote me, he has me blocked so he can’t see this anyway.

1 Like

You can count all the pixels you want lol but that’s way too OC for PSA 10 in 999,999 out of 1,000,000 cases

1 Like

Boo. Let me live this dream of pulling a $10,000 card out of an old binder… just for a moment…

@namespace url(XHTML namespace);SaveSave

I’m gonna say you get the 10;)

2 Likes

Lol still a sexy beast! I agree though BGS would be the way to go, get some 10 subgrades :sunglasses:

@hyruleguardian How’d you go man?

1 Like