What the heck is this Charizard card? (Topsun)

Ok so this card right here:

has the exact same description (1995 P.M. Japanese Topsun #6, Charizard, Holofoil) as this more well-known Topsun card

I believe the top card is a Topsun card, but I don’t believe it’s from the 1995 set. However, I can’t find anything else out about it. I’ve seen a few blog posts online referencing a later Topsun set (1996? 1997?) that has cards that look more like the top card with two Pokemon fighting, but none of those posts show the Holofoil Charizard. I’m also a bit surprised that PSA would label the top card as from the 1995 set.

Anyone have any information about this card? I know the 1995 Topsun Charizard holos fetch a pretty penny, and am a little curious if these are similar (since they seem to be incredibly hard to find information about, let alone see on the market…). The top card is currently on ebay for ~$900, but I’ve been watching for awhile and no one’s taken a bite. I’m clueless.

That’s a topsun '97 holo. They come out of this booster pack, in about a 1/40 ratio:

The non holo cards that go with it are the following:

Ironically, all but two of the Charizard holograpic PSA 10’s are incorrectly labeled, only me and Ed have one in PSA 10.

*edit*
A little more info to help your confusion, Topsun sets are basically broken down where you have a non holo set and a holo set. For example in the '95 set you have every spieces featured in non holo, but a special 16 featured in holo sticker. Same with the '97 set, only the '97 had two designs for the non holo inside the same pack.

2 Likes

Ok so 1997 P.M. Japanese Topsun - PSA doesn’t seem to have that category listed. I haven’t submitted any cards to PSA yet but I’m curious, do I provide the set the card belongs to before I submit or do they categorize the card themselves? I’d be confused either way if they don’t have the set in their database and they seem to be mislabeling the 1997 cards as 1995…

Also are you saying you believe there are only 2 PSA 10 of the 1997 Holo Charizards? Does that include or not include this guy?

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Charizard-Japanese-Topsun-Green-Back-Holo-Psa-10/372028596052?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

'97 isn’t in PSA’s database. They claim they don’t grade them, and getting them to grade them is a challenge. You can have them graded and slip past their system by mislabeling them as '95. I don’t like this practice but it’s been, and is being done.

When you submit to PSA use their online submission process. When you type in the card you’re searching for a drop down list of options will appear, choose the correct one from the drop down list. If you choose wrong PSA might correct the issue upon receiving it, but in my experience most of the time they don’t catch it and misabel your cards.

There’s nine PSA 10 holograpic charizard listed in the database. Seven of them are actually '97 and two are '95. The person you linked to is Ed. He has one of the '95 and I believe most of the '97, if not all of them.

3 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for the info!

Another example of the power of efour. Well done C

Hey all - have been trying to complete this set (1997 topsun) but there is a lack of info out there. Are there Holo variations of all the cards/does anyone have a card list or pictures of a complete set?

@kontente, welcome to the forum. Posts in threads with a last post of over two months ago are against the rules. Feel free to make a new thread with your question.

1 Like