Is there a shipping guide somewhere on the forum?

I may be selling an item above $5K and was trying to search for a shipping guide on here but couldn’t find anything. If there is one, can someone please reply with the link? If not, what’s the best way to go about shipping an item above $5K? Which shipping service should I go with? What’s the cap for insurance? Is there a way to obtain extra insurance in case the full value isn’t covered? This would be within the USA.

If somebody is paying that much, you might as well go meet the buyer and give it to them in person :laughing:
In all seriousness, if you want to be cheap… be cheap
DHL/ UPS/ Fed Ex provide ‘premium’ service, over our government ran USPS.

Edit:
Just talked to my friend in UPS, he says it depends on what store you go to. But, you could be looking at anywhere from $90 to $150 for FULL coverage of your $5k+ item (this is just for insurance).
There is always an option, just depends on what you choose I guess.
GLWS

I use USPS for everything since they are really good and UPS and Fedex aren’t as close to me and are personally more of a hassle to receive a package from.

USPS would insure up to $5,000 via priority mail. $5,000 insurance shipped in a medium flat rate box would be about $100 roughly. USPS registered mail is a lot slower than the 2-5 days or so transit time of priority, but allows you to insure up to about $50,000 for around ~$125 or so and scaling down from there. I use that for anything above $10k typically. Follow their guidelines you can find looking it up. Ink absorbing water activated tape is required on all seams and they date stamp all the tape seams to prevent anyone tampering.

If you mean how to pack it then just do double boxed well padded with no void spaces for movement. Anything >$5k I pretty much always put in a small box into a medium or large flat rate box and always use signature.

Thats interesting I might look back to USPS when sending stuff.
Also it sounds like you had/ have problems with UPS/ FedEx? If you don’t mind, can you elaborate? (Don’ worry I’m not working with corporate UPS/ FedEx :laughing: )

This was very helpful, thank you!

Subbed.

As a side, but related note, can anyone share their experience with USPS insurance claims?

I sold an $800 card that was lost and I opened a claim two weeks ago for a lost item (still in transit two months later) and it’s still under review. I’m getting mixed things online about eBay sellers and their experience. I bought the insurance through label purchase on eBay. For the claim I simply provided my PayPal invoice that shows the buyer and seller address, the item, that it was paid, the tracking number and transaction ID, all that Jazz. I’ve heard USPS reject these claims sometimes and it has me worried. It’s literally as clear and transparent as I could provide so if it’s not approved, then it would tell me insurance on labels bought on eBay for eBay sales is essentially pointless.

@kaminoikari not really spcecific issues they are just a hassle to pickup from when I miss them and they leave a slip because I don’t live close to the pickup spots. USPS is closer and I personally know workers at several in my area.

@teraz you should be good. I don’t know what the timeframes are for lost packages insurance reimbursement though. They may require it not updating tracking for x days. The only insurance claims I ever dealt with were for damaged items and they were all smooth I did them online with proof of price and photos of damage.

1 Like