Is the current Gen the ugliest Gen ever?

The reveal of the new Raikou cemented what the goofy terra hats made me ponder about.

The current Gen has the ugliest feature and the ugliest Pokemon so far.

The relatively low demand for the new cards seems to be a decent indicator that I am not the only one thinking this.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I am not talking about all Mons in this Gen or the quality of the features. I am talking about the design of the Terra feature.

12 Likes

Yes, every gen is worse than the last

13 Likes

Clodsire is Godsire

4 Likes

I remember this same question when Black & White came out. And then again when XY came out. etc. etc.

Each generation has ugly Pokemon and nobody likes change. Some of the ugliness of these Pokemon will be overcome by engaging gameplay or fun characterization in the anime.

16 Likes

This is so true.

I remember saying Sword and Shield was like 95% ugly pokemon with a couple of exceptions.

Now looking at Scarlet , Sword and Shield seems decent compared to such an ugly generation lol.

2 Likes

All valid points, but have you considered that this just might be true now given well this…

download (1)

4 Likes

Who knows, maybe it will become endearing in the anime. I think it’s an affront to god, but I haven’t had much exposure to it quite yet.

1 Like

Over 22 million sales for SV speaks otherwise. Just like ultrabeast the paradox aren’t meant to make sense. The story is incomplete as of now, when the second Dlc drops we’ll have an idea how any of these Pokemon in Area Zero came to be.

1 Like

ah yes… the compelling story of a mainline pokemon game

9 Likes

TBH. I Am not talking about all Mons. Mostly about the Terra feature, which is just goofy. And some abominations like Raikou.

Sales has nothing to do with the quality or excellence of their designs, even more accurate when refering to Nintendo product and even more accurate when referring to pokemon.

You could release a new gen with only 20 new pokemon, 10 of them in the shape of an ice cream and the game will sell millions.

1 Like

Great topic! This has been the most difficult generation to enjoy. This and gen 5 are my least favorite design wise.

9 Likes

20 Likes

I said it before: anything after Gen 4 looks like a cheap lazy knockoff. And the last couple ones feel like they were made by an AI in the fast option.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of it , the way the Pokémon look with there future robot look / prehistoric look is making me question the idea jar is running out back at the Pokémon Lab

Now Gen 1-3 I love and I didn’t really think Gen 4 would be great but as @Dyl said it grew on me with time.

The other Gens … eh not so much lol don’t see my preferences changing on those

Gen 9 definitely took some getting used to for me, the gamut of odd/ugly designs was a downside. But since playing through the game, seeing more art of the mons, I’ve warmed up to a few more of them. But SV has some really good designs among the dex too. Surprisingly I think the strong point of SV is it’s characters. They are more well written (IMO) and designed and very likable.

Gen 5 is definitely my least favorite Gen of designs as some have also said, but yeah I’ve really enjoyed this regions mons overall. Raging Bolt is definitely an acquired taste let’s all be honest haha

This is my favorite generation since BW

3 Likes

Even with the Terra feature? :smiley:

6 Likes

Yup. If we are talking about designs of Pokemon, the base game mon are largely very good imo. The tera mechanic isnt the best, but thats its own thing, separate from the designs of the new Pokemon. The rehash of old legendaries is always going to be a point of contention. No one is going to look at Long neck Raikou and think “yea this is better than the OG”. Some are better than others, but people always prefer the originals in these cases. They are also dlc/special raid Pokemon that arent really part of the main story of SV. :man_shrugging:

Implying that the tera crown mechanic makes the new pokemon designs bad isnt fair imo.

I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I quite like the paradox Suicune when it was revealed. And, to be fair to good ol’ Raikou, I do think the concept art looks much better than the 3D model preview we got. The proportions look off when compared to the concept art—is the head too big or something? Or maybe it’s an unflattering perspective.

Edit: Oops, didn’t mean to reply to anyone in particular.

3 Likes