Is Skyridge Crystal Charizard Rare?

Do you consider skyridge charizard to be a rare card?

I only ask because a seller on instagram told me it was overrated and not a rare card.

I do think it’s PSA 10 population is high but it’s overall population report is under 1k.

What is the opinion here? Would love to hear from you guys.

1 Like

Rare is a subjective term, but as far as set cards go, it’s pretty rare. E series as a whole is pretty rare from that perspective.

Compared to some older promos? Not necessarily that rare.

11 Likes

Agreed with @Will that rare is a subjective term.

I consider a card rare when I find it difficult to obtain (e.g., comes to auction infrequently, BIN listings are few and far between).

There will always be a Crystal Charizard for sale until the day that I die. Whether I agree with the asking price is another story. That said, it is definitely “rarer” than many other cards in the same period.

3 Likes

Be the change you want to see in the world. Buy them and burn them one by one.

12 Likes

giphy-17

4 Likes

Rarity is overrated.

Is Crystal Charizord rare? Not really. It’s a mass produced card. Yet it’s still one of the most expensive cards in the hobby, beating out plenty of cards that are much rarer.

One of the first things you learn in this hobby is that rarer = more value. Generally this is true and rarity does correlate with value but it literally misses half of the equation. By introducing “demand” as a denominator you get a far more useful measure, scarcity.

ie. total number produced / number of people that want the item

For instance, an item with 100 copies and 3 people interested is far less desirable and valuable than an item with 1,000 copies and 10,000 people interested. This is despite the first item being 10x rarer than the second.

It’s easy to quantify how rare something is, just look at print run or pop or number handed out. The problem is that demand is much harder to quantify. I think that make it easy to discount. There are so many times where a discussion happens about how “rare” something is and really the people involved are using the concept of rarity and scarcity interchangeably without even realizing it.

Back to the topic, it really doesn’t matter how rare Crystal Charizord is. It’s clear that there are far more people who would love to own a copy than there are copies readily available. If this instagram person is concluding that something is overrated based on number of copies alone, they are literally missing half the equation

29 Likes

All I remember is pulling that Crystal Charizard or Ho-oh (and after that the Celebi) was more difficult than pulling the Kabutops or Golem.
I opened many cases during that time.

1 Like

*extreme collector voice* I don’t consider any English set card to be rare.

4 Likes

there’s your problem

10 Likes

Nope.

Lol you’re not wrong