Is Pokemon A Sport?

This has been bugging me for quite some time, Pokémon is not a sport. With that being said it doesn’t make much sense to have them graded in cases made by sports card graders. Professional “Sports” Authenticators seems very specific to me. It bothers me for several reason. One for the simple fact that its an anime. Second they were mass produced and had uncalled for variants of the same artwork, almost sloppy. Third they were printed in various languages making even more variants of the same artwork, killing the factor of true rarity in my opinion. I see some of you guys obsessing over the 1st edition stamp and a shadow but forget to realize that its the same card. Fourth the cases get scratched depending on how you store them and if you store them properly you cant even look at them. Fifth the dreadful, cheap looking, repetitive, white and red label that they use, sometimes even shortening the card’s name or “Holo”, “Foil” indecisive. And dont even get me started on the grading, for years now making OCD suffering fellows go bald over the grade, taking me to my last but not least reason, buying an already graded Gem Mint 10 is even worse kinda like buying someone elses work and pretending you created it. Never forget, if you didnt pull it, it doesnt mean crap. At least that can be the actual sport of it…

1 Like

Nice opinions.

Just remember, telling another collector what is and isn’t important is like telling someone which food they should prefer. It’s all down to taste.

Ah geeze… You don’t know what you have done xD lol

Bring on the argument…

6 Likes

it’s not the same card as it has those differences.
I personally don’t obsess over grading etc I prefer my binders but some people do.
“If you didn’t pull it, it doesn’t mean crap.” - This isn’t sport, it’s collecting. Some people have a goal of grading their own cards, others don’t.

PSA were a grading company that specified in sports cards, hence the name. They got so reputable that they started grading non sports cards. I don’t see the issue there.

Card without the 1st ed stamp =/= card with 1st ed stamp. Completely different rarities and factors involved determining it’s price. This can be found across many different hobbies. Look at Funko Pops for example. The limited alternate colored ones are more expensive than their regular counterparts. I really don’t see what you’re getting at here.

You’re complaining about scratching on PSA cases. What? again, just like any other hobby, your collectables will be damaged if you store them incorrectly.

I could keep going, but I’d rather not. You’ve brought up like 5 different topics in one thread, I don’t really understand what’s going on here :confounded:

2 Likes

I agree, TCG players shouldn’t be paid like sports stars…

Wait, wat

Lol, trollololol

3 Likes

it seems you have a dislike for graded cards, which is fine, just stick to raw cards.

1 Like

PSA judges condition on a quantifiable scale. That’s pretty important to a lot of collectors. It’s fine to be against graded cards as well though.

1 Like

Im not telling anybody what to do, just why im against PSA for Pokémon…

No bit you’re telling us how to feel. That “if we didn’t pull it, it ain’t worth crap”.

That’s rubbish mate.

2 Likes

I understand but i find it more enjoyable when i can organize my cards in a way where i can look at them as a file. Im not gonna buy a card, grade it, then charge a leg for it. Its not me. Plus im not telling anybody what to do, just why im against having my Pokémon cards in cases meant for SPORTS cards.

Can we have a mod move this topic to sour grapes please.

You’ve opened a can of worms you weren’t ready for sir.

5 Likes

5 Likes

PSA has graded over 3 MILLION non sports cards so most people have no trouble understanding.
By your logic Becketts grading is fine because it’s name doesn’t include “Sports”…lol.

2 Likes

Primarily It ticks me off that theyre in cases made for sports cards, i apologize for ranting about not being able to afford some cards, it is wrong of me. But i cant live with the fact that there was three base set variants, same art different errors/details in several languages. $80,000 for 50 charizard cards some of which are the same but different language?! Thats absurd, and all because theyre in PSA cases…some people just ruin everything,even Pokémon cards. Putting them in Baseball card cases, charging a leg for them and whatnot…it irritates me.

trolling is funny, but are you being serious? Im concerned if you are… lol

1 Like

I have a feeling that was his purpose.
Best to ignore that sort;)

Does it irritate you that Ferrari charge a premium for their badge?

You honestly need to calm down. If you want to organise cards by binder, then that’s totally cool mate. We still all enjoy seeing bindered cards.

But if some people want their cards to be impartially graded, so be it. It doesn’t affect you.

wait wait wait…slow down. Let me see if I have this right…So you’re ticked off because you can’t afford to buy in your own words “CARDS IN CASES” Did I get that right? Welcome to to the world of collecting my friend.

How does that not make more sense? Maybe since they get so many kinds of non sports cards shouldn’t they reconcider there profession??? Maybe Professional Authenticators? I dont see why that isnt understood. Sending in monster cards defeats the purpose of their whole title in my opinion. I know you guys are pissed because all your cards are in their cases but thats not my fault. They shouldve denied the first non sports card submission, but you are all right they didn’t. Doesnt change the fact that pokemon cards are in the wrong cases.