PSA vs BGS (why is BGS getting a premium???)

BGS’ ultimate grade (Pristine) are closer to perfect. Whereas PSA’s ultimate grade (Gem Mint) sometimes have noticeable flaws like silvering, centering issues & in rare cases grade non authentic cards. BGS is more strict and professional when they grade cards. 9/10 times a BGS 9 or 9.5 will grade a PSA 10 whereas a PSA 10 will grade a 9.5 or even a 9 BGS grade.

The BGS 10 earns a premium. Any other grade the premium is with PSA.

4 Likes

That’s just not true. I give them credit for their Pristine grade but anything under that is all over the place.

I’ve seen a bunch of 9s and 9.5s that would not even get a 8-8.5 at PSA. Usually there’s a subgrade or two that messes up the grade. There are a bunch of BGS cards that sit on ebay forever because they have something like 10 centering but then you look at the back and it looks like a PSA 6 card.

If all subgrades are 9.5+ it’s a different story but you’re still not guaranteed a PSA 10 so I would be cautious not to overpay.

BGS Pristine or Black Label is the true holy grail though.

There is the “sometimes” part of what I said you’re ignoring.

You said sometimes Gem Mint PSA cards have flaws which is true, but 90% of BGS 9+ cards would be a PSA 10. That’s inaccurate.

I’m not looking to argue though. Good day to you Sir.

1 Like

@poken00b88 , here’s some of @missingno 's post history:

Yup I changed my mind about grading my cards with PSA pretty quick. What’s your point? None of this proves what I said to be %100 incorrect.

I wasn’t looking for an argument either. It’s my opinion and not %100 inaccurate so yeah have a good one yourself.

It shows your bais towards PSA/BGS, as well as your lack of experience to give validity to your claims.

2 Likes

They’re observations based on the community’s experiences. Aside from previous conversations and the vast examples of proof that credit my opinion, you’re just BAISED yourself.

What community experiences? You’re the only one that believes that ‘9/10 times a BGS 9 or 9.5 will grade a PSA 10 whereas a PSA 10 will grade a 9.5 or even a 9 BGS grade’. I’ll tell you from my personal crossover attemps I haven’t even goten half of my BGS 9.5 to cross over to PSA 10, let alone my BGS 9 that didn’t even make PSA 9.

I don’t care between the two companies, I’ve been positioning myself with BGS more because there’s a potential turn in the market and it’s easier for me to take my PSA 9s and turn them into BGS 9.5s (something I’m actually doing). My personal prefference is based on what I know and it’s that BGS is the weaker of the two companies which has been repeated by nearly 95% of the community.

1 Like

Look I won’t argue that you’re experienced but my crossover observation is credible. I understand you want your PSA 10 cards to hold the most value but BGS Prestine cards are in better condition. Also your last opinion is off topic because the op is asking why BGS has a premium over PSA. Clearly I’m not the only one that sees it.

@missingno Please stop derailing threads about third party grading. You aren’t bringing any validity or merit to the discussion, just low key trolling anyone who mentions PSA.

Also, if you want to claim Beckett is more “professional”, be sure to mention their Raw grading and BCCG services that they provide which are unequivocal money grabs. This isn’t even a pokemon thing, here are multiple discussions about the service, literally from the Beckett site: 1, 2, 3.

Regardless, to answer the OP’s question, BGS 10 has a premium, where all other grades, the premium is with PSA. The reason for the BGS premium is mostly centered around the fact that they have an additional 9.5 & 10 grade. Thus the population will naturally be lower, and typically the best possible condition. Since PSA only has one 10 grade, naturally there will be more variance, but ultimately it isn’t a parallel situation.

7 Likes

Scott answered the OP.

BGS 10 has a premium. Any other grade PSA has the advantage. There’s 100+ examples on ebay if you want to bother looking.

Hell, there’s a BGS 9.5 1st ed Charizard that has been sitting on ebay for a while now. It would have insta sold if it was so obviously a 10.

I bought a BGS 9 card a few days ago and I don,t think it would grade over a 7 at PSA.

1 Like

I am not derailing anything guy.
Second I’m not low key trolling shit. Third don’t inbox me trying to tell me to stop “trolling” basically telling me to drop my opinion. And lastly what I quoted is what I’m getting at. But if constantly saying that I’m wrong makes you feel better then so be it. I stand by my opinion, 9/10 BGS 10 cards will be in better condition than PSA 10; that’s why they bring a premium.

How many cards have you graded with PSA or Beckett?

2 Likes

Keep your opinion, you have that right. I have my opinion and the rest of the forum can have theirs. All I know is when I make my opinion I like to have facts to support it.

So I’ll tell you what if you can provide real numbers or more then a small sample size of actual examples to support your claim I’ll consider it. Till then we’ll agree to disagree.

3 Likes

I don’t think any1 was arguing about PSA 10 being in better condition than BGS 10. It was just the fact that you said 90% of BGS 9 & 9.5 will end up as PSA 10s. No1 can argue against your own experience but if this is really true you must be the luckiest mofo ever. You should consider snatching up BGS 9s & 9.5s of Zard or other high priced cards. Since it’s only 90% for you, you’re bound to make thousands easy.

1 Like

I don’t have to grade anything when others do so for themselves.

www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1104972

forums.collectors.com/discussion/976401/bgs-to-psa-crossover-success-russell-westbrook-topps-chrome-refractor

@missingno Just to confirm, you have graded zero cards with either company, correct?

3 Likes