Is it worth sending these to PSA?

I’ve been mulling over sending these to PSA via Ludkins, though I’m just curious as to whether I should - especially based on the facts that many have said that it’s not worth it - realistically speaking - to encase any cards that are below PSA 8. But I’d be very much appreciated if some people could comment on whether I should send these?

Images of Venusaur, Clefairy, Magneton and Gyarados:
imgur.com/a/i3286O6

Also, does anyone have a rather good guide on how to send (packaging) 4-6 cards to Ludkins?

All comments are very much appreciated :blush:

I am not capable of pregrading cards yet.
I would say to research the prices those go for as a PSA 7/8. The Venusaur still sells for $50 or so PSA 8. Where the others sell for less. My opinion without knowing how to grade a card too well…

Send off the Venusaur to them. They offer a pregrading service that cost only a few dollars. If they give you a a 5, then it’s up to you to move forward with sending it to PSA.
You could also just have them authenticated. The fee is not as much and you still get that slab, just no grade

these are base set 4th print(1999-2000) holos so I’d say they’re all worth sending in at this condition

don’t worry, I didn’t catch that either at first until I gave gyarados a 2nd look lol

2 Likes

The question of “is it worth” has never one answer to me, I’ve sent in one of these knowing very well it’ll only get a PSA 4 or 5, but damn it looks good on my desk. That value to me is completely different to market value.

If I sent in cards with the intention to sell, I would only do that if the expected grades are not under my cost. In general, if a raw copy in nm condition is more expensive than a PSA 7 (which is weird to begin with), I would wait with grading it until people realise that PSA 7 still means “near mint”. :grin:

5 Likes

Could be a dumb question.
From what I have read there is 1st, shadowless, and unlimited in the base set.
Is 4th set base and base set unlimited the same thing, just different terminology? Or what is the difference?

Yes they are worth sending in. Ludkins has a good guide on their “terms and conditions page.”

USA: www.ludkinscollectables.com/knowledge-hub/usa-service-terms-and-conditions

EU: www.ludkinscollectables.com/knowledge-hub/ukeu-service-terms-and-conditions

1 Like

[/quote]
Could be a dumb question.
From what I have read there is 1st, shadowless, and unlimited in the base set.
Is 4th set base and base set unlimited the same thing, just different terminology? Or what is the difference? [/quote]

4th Print (or ‘Base 2000’) has a 1999-2000 copyright date instead of 1999 and is considered the last print run of the Base Set.

Here is everything you need to know about them:
www.elitefourum.com/t/base-set-2000-a-guide-to-the-last-print-of-base-set/22312/1

2 Likes

Incredible read
Holo’s only released in UK (and spread to some of Europe). Great find

1. Absolutely grade them!
  2. Here’s why I want to grade most cards: to preserve their current condition! To me, it is always worth preserving Pokemon cards. They are pieces of history! I don’t like keeping around many raw vintage cards because I get worried about damaging them. PSA or Beckett slabs keep the cards super safe from almost everything.
  3. Another reason why you should grade cards (especially vintage) is that you are buying an opinion on its condition that is largely accepted by the community. While there is still discourse on whether a card deserved a specific grade, PSA and Beckett (to an extent) provide more certainty on the condition. This inherently raises the value of the card.
  4. I’ve heard that you should only grade cards that will gain more value than the current cost of the card+grading cost. I think this a valid way to view it, but I prefer to follow point 2 over all.
2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for their amazing comments!

Well - I’m curious, as I have quite a few Base 2000 (1999-2000) holo cards, but the issue is that some aren’t in the same great condition as the 4 I posted - with some front scratches on the holographic image and some - very minor in some cases - whitening on the edges.

**For example:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks a lot! I shall, I just simply thought that people always said it’s not really worth it if the cards are below PSA 8. But I agree with everything you’ve said :3**