Worth sending possible 6s or lower to PSA?

I’m new to PSA cards although I’ve been collecting for a few years now. I have a lot of cards I want to send to PSA that I know will get good grades but I also have a stack of some cards I’m debating on sending that are not in amazing condition. They’re probably in the 4 to 6 range I would guess.

Is it worth sending cards to PSA that are probably going to get that low of a grade? This is for my personal collection, not going to resell currently although I do care about value.

Most of the cards are shinings, gold stars, wotc holos, etc. If I don’t send them to PSA I’ll likely just keep them in a binder or toploaders.

Any insight or opinions would be great. And yes I know at the end of the day it’s up to me but I just wanted to see if others send cards like these ones off.

1 Like

If these are your cards from childhood and you want them protected…go for it. I did the same with mine when I first got back. Most came back 7-9 luckily but my favorite shadowless raichu got a 4 lol

Remember if you are sending to psa that you will not get those cards back until probably March of next year. Personally I would send to CGC, you can even add a personal pedigree if you really don’t want to sell them (“Jennytallz Collection” lol if they allow it)

4 Likes

I sent in all my WOTC holos regardless of the grade I felt I would get mainly to preserve the current condition of the cards. Granted I do not think I have anything less than a 6 and I have not received anything back lower than a 6 so far. Best of luck on the grades if you send them in. Also I know PSA has a big backlog, but I sent in a bunch of cards under bulk grading in December and they are already being processed so maybe they are getting some things figured out with the increase in demand for graded cards.

2 Likes

Modern? Nope. Vintage? Hell yeah

6 Likes

Highly depends on the card, very rare and valuable cards are probably worth grading in any condition.

2 Likes

Don’t have much modern in general that I’m sending but all that will hopefully be 9 or 10 lol

Would you say old school shinings and stuff would be considered very rare or no?

1 Like

Not rare at all, but valuable, yes

1 Like

Yeah I tend to get those terms mixed up… I have a few that I’m on the fence about right now

Rare but not very rare, if it’s a PSA 1 or 2 maybe authenticate it instead.

The two main cards I can think of that I’m on the fence about are perfect except one has a small dent on the front and the other has a very tiny crease on one of the edges. They’d do well if they didn’t have those. Probably 9s. Shining magikarp and celebi.

It’s up to you, I don’t think any option is significantly better than any other. Selling raw is low risk but you possibly miss out on maximizing the cards value. Graded you loose value in paying a premium for express turn around times or risk the card going down in price if you bulk it and wait for the long turn around times.

I think someone might’ve said it earlier but if its vintage then maybe depending on the card. Modern most likely not.

1 Like

For this example shining magikarp and celebi are pretty safe imo.

1 Like

I’m grading every card I own once I get around to Grading! I have 1st edition Typhlosion and Lugia that even in a PSA 5 or 6 will net $1000 which is quite a gain from the $20 and $50 I spent on them respectively!

2 Likes

Lol maybe he could put his name as a personal pedigree, but not sure anyone would want “Jennytallz Collection” on their cards lol.

1 Like

Popular Pokémon in lower grades are worth sending in. I wouldn’t for unlimited lower tier holos.

1 Like

Are you saying my PSA 5 modern Charizard wasn’t worthy of grading :sob:

7 Likes

I mean why not, just do it.
Grade everything.

Lol, this is why grading takes forever now :blush:

To answer OPs question, I haven’t graded anything I thought would be below a 6 except a first edition base Charizard. Whether it is “worth it” to you is a question only you can answer. Are these cards you plan to sell or keep?