Grading Unlimited Edition WOTC holos?

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of sending my Holo WOTC sets to be graded. They’re all in NM-Gem condition, but what has me hesitant is the fact that they’re unlimited.

I’d like to have them graded and sealed for preservation reasons, but I feel like it’s almost a waste with 99% of them not being 1st Edition. I’m torn between keeping them in the binders, or having them graded and sealed- thoughts?

How many sets? You could try just buying first edition PSA 7-9 cards and holding onto your ungraded ones

1 Like

Sure, right now they aren’t worth too much unless graded 10s. But give it 5 years and they will be worth more than they are today.

In terms of storage and protection, I also think you should send them in. PSA cases just look nice.

So if you’re thinking about sending them in for your collection/preservation then why would it be a waste? It will preserve them whether they’re 1st or not.

5 Likes

You can preserve them just fine without getting them graded. If you do go the grading route, don’t bother with anything that would score less than a 9.

I dont really expect a huge price spike years from now for most of these mass produced cards(except Zard and a few others ifc) , but you just never know… Keep them and see if they are worth grading later. Thats what i do with most my cards. Im not wasting $10+ grading $5-10 cards right now which would earn me maybe $5 profit at best.

4 Likes

Send them in! @garyis2000 said it all!

1 Like

If he’s grading to preserve his childhood memories why would he only grade 9s. I don’t think this has anything to do with condition considerations.

Grade em. PSA is becoming a standard for this hobby.

I was torn with the same decision and decided to start doing this as well. A non-monetary benefit of grading them is that even though they will not all score a 10(probably most will not) you can slowly start to trade/collect to upgrade the ones that are lower than you want. I have been having fun collecting again doing this. For a while I had all the cards in raw condition so they just sat, but getting them grading added another level to it

I have several base unlimited holo cards getting graded right now, and all but 1 will be duplicates of what I already have.

Once that comes back I’ll have the complete the holo set. All PSA 9’s except the Charizard which I plan on buying an upgrade for within the next month or two.

I think these are beautiful cards with lots of nostalgia to them. Still relatively rare enough to find in good condition that I think they are absolutely worth grading. For me, nothing beats Base set. Whether that be 1st edition, shadowless or unlimited. Gorgeous cards that will only increase in value and will likely always be sought after.

I guess if you only goal is to flip them to make a profit it might not be worthwhile. But I would say having these PSA graded is a must have for the vintage Pokemon collector.

2 Likes

That’s a poke yes-yes

P.s. my last submission I sent in a few base unlimited holos expected to get psa 8’s and 9’s. I got half 9’s and half gemmint 10’s! You might be surprised!!