Worth Grading?

I just recently completed my 1st edition Base set and I had a quick question. The holographic cards that I have for the set range from excellent to near mint condition, based off of my own assessment, and I know that if I submit them to PSA that they wouldn’t really get amazing grades. Would you guys advise of grading the holographic cards through PSA, to help retain their value if I were to sell them in a few years, or would it be better to keep these cards ungraded? I’m kinda leaning towards getting them graded since they are still very rare cards that would still hold some value over time, regardless of their respective condition. (I have never used PSA before and any graded cards that I do own were purchased already graded)What do you guys think?

If you would like to see the set, please refer to the imgur link below.
imgur.com/a/QsLpI?grid

Thank you for your time!

At this point it is always going to be worth grading 1st Edition Base Set cards, unless they do actually look like they have been run over by a truck.

PSA 5-7s are going to sell surprisingly nicely if they are of the 3 starter holos. There is really no reason not to just grade them all. The cost will be negligible to the potential gain you have in your hands.

1 Like

Pretty much echo above, however once you get into the PSA 5/6/7 range for the non starters there is no premium over if you were selling raw and in some cases the raw will sell more as people are either preferring to collect it for their folder or the person believes it looks a higher grade and will bid higher amount.

The premium IMO starts at the PSA 8 level for the non starters.

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much!

1 Like

Definitely grade them.

Smpratte, our founder here, grades cards for members here so hit him up.

1 Like

You gotta let us know when you have graded them derpizard and the results you get :blush:

Hahaa thanks, I really appreciate it! But I thought about it a lot and I’m going to keep them ungraded since they look really cool in my collector’s binder and considering the fact that they won’t get any really good grades. I don’t plan on selling the cards, and I personally enjoy being able to flip through the pages to look at them. They have a lot of sentimental value and I wouldn’t want any low grades to take away from that. :sweat:

However! I am sending a bulk submission of 150+ cards including 1st edition holos from Jungle, Fossil, Gym Heros, Gym Challenge and a bunch of Japanese Promo cards. So I’ll definitely keep you posted!

1 Like