International (US) Ancient Mew weird print question

This is something that has been bothering me ever since I was sitting in the movie theater with my mom and my brother trying to figure out why my Ancient Mew card looked different from theirs. I’ve looked up Ancient Mew misprints online several times over the last 2 decades and no one has posted about a card that looks like mine. After diving down another Ancient Mew rabbit hole this afternoon with some friends, I figured I’d try posting here to see if anyone had any idea. Apologies in advance if people have had enough talk about Ancient Mew cards; I have no idea if this is something clueless people like me stumble in and ask about often :sob:

The card I got from the movie theater looks like this:

The thing that’s always bugged me about it is that the gold parts are not matte (closeup of that + the copyright). I came across this forum via this thread earlier, which shows the international version having a cool border design instead of the solid one I got (I am in the US), but the copyright font definitely matches up with the international release.

I’m not too interested in what the card is worth; I’m just curious if it’s something that could have messed up in printing or if the ticket booth person at the movie theater was out there tricking 9-year-olds by somehow repackaging fake cards. If someone is able to help me out with this, I would be super grateful. This has been a mystery to me for a very long while.

2 Likes

I dont know the answer but I appreciate that you don’t have dirty nails, you are one of a kind collector, thank you.
A lot of ebay sellers have traumatized me… :slightly_frowning_face:

I’d say printing issue.

However I looked around ebay and came across this Ancient Mew on ebay that also appears to have no design on the edges but has the speckle holo effect like yours.

1 Like

so I have about 40 of the 2000 movie Mews (older brother worked at AMC in 2000 : P) and I have not really seen anything like your card. Perhaps some of the holo got stuck on the original plastic encasing? Hard to tell.

Thanks so much for the help! It makes sense that packaging/printing is probably the cause. I wasn’t sure if that was even a thing before today haha. It’s definitely reassuring to see that ebay listing with a card that’s like mine because I’ve never been able to track one down before. I was seriously starting to think that my card was somehow not real because it looks so unfinished in comparison to the usual print.