Ancient Mew - Variants and Versions Differences

The Ancient Mew card may be one of the most iconic and unique Pokemon cards produced to date. Less known are the different variants of the card and new collectors may not appreciate the subtle difference between versions.

Quick reference guide - Check the copyright text to see which version you have:

1999 Ancient Mew I (“Nintedo” error)
© 1995, 1996, 1998 Nintedo/Creatures inc./GAMEFREAK inc.

1999 Ancient Mew I (Corrected version) OR 1999 Ancient Mew II
© 1995, 1996, 1998 Nintendo/Creatures inc./GAMEFREAK inc.

2000 International version [English]
© 1995, 96, 98, 99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. © 1999-2000 Wizards.

2019 Japanese Ancient Mew (Mewtwo Strikes Back – Evolution)
© 2019 Pokémon/Nintendo/Creatures/GAME FREAK

2020 Korean Ancient Mew (Mewtwo Strikes Back – Evolution)
© 2020 Pokémon/Nintendo/Creatures/GAME FREAK

1999 Japanese Versions

The Ancient Mew was originally made available through a promotional pamphlet exclusively released in Japan to commemorate the theatrical run of the movie Revelation Lugia on July 16th, 1999.

Ancient Mew I Holo Pattern Ancient Mew II Holo Pattern

There are two main Japanese variants, distinguishable by holo patterns. They are often referred to as Ancient Mew I and Ancient Mew II. The image above on the left shows the speckle-style pattern of Ancient Mew I and the image to the right shows the orb and swirl cosmos foil of Ancient Mew II.

(Like the Mew itself, many PSA graded copies of this card are also ancient)

In addition to the holo pattern, the text in the copyright is also helpful in identifying variants. In fact, a third Japanese variant is revealed this way:

Ancient Mew I - “Nintedo” error

© 1995, 1996, 1998 Nintedo/Creatures inc./GAMEFREAK inc.

Ancient Mew I - Corrected version

Ancient Mew II

Ancient Mew II copyright

(Same as the corrected Ancient Mew I)

Of the three versions, the Ancient Mew I corrected version tends to be the most coveted and most difficult to find. Below are examples of both PSA and CGC labels of the three variants. Keep in mind that there could be slight variations to these labels and the variants are frequently mislabeled!

Ancient Mew I Error PSA label
Ancient Mew I Corrected PSA label
Ancient Mew II PSA label

Ancient Mew I Error PSA label
Ancient Mew I Corrected PSA label
Ancient Mew II PSA label

As mentioned above, all versions of the 1999 Japanese Ancient Mew were released in a pamphlet, shown below. The first image shows the cover and the second shows the interior with a Japanese Ancient Mew card inserted in a plastic sleeve.

2000 International Version [English]

(North American and International Release)

Pokemon: The Movie 2000 (a.k.a. “The Power of One”) was released in North American theaters on July 21st, 2000. The card distributed at theaters in a cellophane pack with a separate teaser card. Other countries had similar promotions - the pack containing an Ancient Mew with an information card printed in the native language (e.g. German, French, etc). Other than the teaser card, all international versions of the Ancient Mew are identical.

Click to see sealed copy

International copyright

© 1995, 96, 98, 99 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. © 1999-2000 Wizards.

Shown below are the PSA and CGC labels for the international version

International PSA label
International CGC label

Mewtwo Strikes Back – Evolution Versions

On July 12, 2019, theaters in Japan were showing Mewtwo Strikes Back – Evolution. A new version of Ancient Mew was released alongside this movie. On September 30th, 2020 the movie was released in South Korea. Due to the delayed release, the Korean Ancient Mew released with the movie has different copyright text making it a unique version of the card.

2019 Japanese Ancient Mew

© 2019 Pokémon/Nintendo/Creatures/GAME FREAK

2020 Korean Ancient Mew

2020 Korean Ancient Mew copyright

© 2020 Pokémon/Nintendo/Creatures/GAME FREAK

PSA and CGC labels:

2019 Japanese PSA label
2019 Japanese CGC label

2020 Korean PSA label
2020 Korean CGC label

A similar pamphlet to the original Japanese version was produced for the 2019 Japanese version:

The 2020 Korean version was released in a cellophane pack as shown below:

38 Likes

Super informative article as always. I find myself occasionally getting confused with the variants so this helps. Thanks for this!

2 Likes

Really nice and informative article. Also serves as a handy checklist for anyone trying to collect all of the variant. Thanks for the great write up.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for this super article !

Really enjoyed reading this. Keep it up!

Definitely a PERFECT card. One of the best ever.

1 Like

Nice to see an updated version of the original article from 2012 - Ancient Mew – Version Differences (back then there were four Ancient Mew versions instead of six :wink: ).

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Yeah I binned the older thread so there’s no confusion with having the same information twice

1 Like