Mewtwo normal Vending (Unproven Theory)

I asked for feedback in discord, but no one seemed to have any. This is from my own research and purchases. I will add better scans in the future when my high-resolution scanner arrives. This is an image of the 3 Mewtwo variants. The top left is the corocoro design contest card of which 20 exist. Top right is the Masaki Vending sheet version and on the bottom is the normal vending sheet version. Now the differences.

The first and most obvious differences is the color and shading applied to the cards. You can easily tell between the 3 prints by this alone. However, there is even more variety. The design contest card and the Masaki vending sheet version both have a darker head on the left side due to shading, they both also have a 7 shape on the upper left thigh due to poor shading. Furthermore, these 2 variants also have text visible through Mewtwo. It has -002, below that a 2 is visible with a % sign shape with the bottom right circle missing, to the right and also below that some Japanese characters are visible, but only to the naked eye and don’t seem to show up in scans or pictures. There are also characters visible on the left leg - bottom left toe and also on the ankle. The normal vending sheet version has none of these errors. As I said before though the easiest way to distinguish between them is coloring and shading. The whole cards, but mainly in the background around Mewtwo and also the differences in shading as visible on Mewtwo, the whole card and energy symbols. If anyone sees 's any other variances feel free to point them out or if you see any errors in my information. Either way, it’s distinctly clear between the 3 different prints and this should help give legitimacy to the design contest card and also it’s value being that only 20 exist. I look forward to comments and debate on this.

A better image is visible with this PDF. Mewtwo Variants

Mewtwo Corocoro design contest and vending sheet variants. How to tell them apart.

There is a variation of the text difference you can see on the second attack. Even though they are the same, one is longer than the other, it was thought to be an error but could be thought to be different distribution method. I think @nine can elaborate, he has the difference on his insta page if you want to check it out.

1 Like

Ah yes, I see that. The second move on the normal vending sheet is different. Good eye. Thanks.

1 Like

Are they all glossy?

1 Like

Yes, all 3 are glossy and that’s to be expected of these cards. Being that Corocoro cards and vending cards all of this era were glossy prints.

All glossy cards are peeled from sheets. So I’m wondering what kind sheet the “design contest” version was peeled from.

I’m not sure that’s the case. The cards are glossy already when printed before being applied to sheets. However, they could have been in a sheet. We don’t have that info, unfortunately. All that is known was that 20 copies were given to the winner. The card Pop is 16 and I have an ungraded copy so that makes 17. However, it is possible some of these cards could have been mislabeled. The only way to know for sure is to compare the variations to verify which print a card is.

Kei’s page says the Mewtwo is an error. There has been discussions about it before here as well. If it wasn’t distributed on a sheet it wouldn’t have a glossy finish as I’m pretty sure that finish allows the card to be removed from the sheet without damage. As you can tell, I’m skeptical that this is from a limited run of 20. I’d be interested to know where the info about the winners receiving these cards is. These should be high profile cards if they were distributed in this way.

Find the info here.

Pop report for others here.

Everyone is always a skeptic in the Pokemon community. All I have to say is buy a Masaki sheet and a normal vending sheet and see for yourself. Also, the cards are printed glossy. Being on the sheet does not give them their gloss

Also, my post about @smpratte was premature. I found the pop report. For some reason, it’s just harder to find now. So I apologize for acting a fool lol.

I also own this card and am awaiting its arrival. I am sure you will be skeptical of it as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Poliwrath Corocoro design contest

I think you’ve misunderstood. Yes they are printed glossy for the purpose of being put on a sheet for peeling. Also the high percentage of gem 10 copies with the “illustration contest” designation is pretty high. I can’t get the bulbapedia article to load from your link but I think I have an idea of the page you’re referring to. Again, I can’t say anything about these cards with certainty but I would like more solid info before we decide there are more high end prizes from this era.

1 Like

You can’t get it to load? You’re joking right? What a lame excuse. To be put on a sheet and being put on a sheet are two different things. As I said without the information we can not know for sure if they were ever on a sheet or not. Also, your misguided information about gem 10 copies is wrong. Poliwrath is Pop 4 total for all grades.

Here’s the information quoted.

“Mewtwo’s Counterattack Commemoration Illust Artist Contest
Another illustration contest was publicized in the May 1998 issue of CoroCoro Comic, released in April 1998, in commemoration of the upcoming PokĂ©mon movie in July of that year. The contest invited readers to create their own original PokĂ©mon trading card, and was divided into two categories: illustration and attacks. The winning entries were announced in the July 1998 issue of CoroCoro Comic, released in June 1998. One entrant received the Best Award in terms of illustration and attacks, receiving 20 physical copies of their card and a PokĂ©mon Illustrator promotional card. This card was later printed as part of Extended Sheet 3, available from November 24, 1998. Four entrants received the Excellence Award in the illustration category and three entrants received the Excellence Award in the attack category, each of them receiving a PokĂ©mon Illustrator promotional card. 30 entrants received the Special Award, each of them receiving a Mewtwo’s Counterattack and Pikachu’s Summer Vacation teaser poster.”

and as I said before the label isn’t accurate as it should be 1998 on the Mewtwo and not 1997.

What? You think I’m just burying my head in the sand? The evidence in favor of your argument is weak and that’s being generous.
75% PSA 10 is a little ridiculous. PSA has been known to be inconsistent in designations. There is no reason that I can see that they would add a glossy finish if the cards were not intended for peel sheets. It would just add expense for them.
One more thing, if the winners received an Illustrator and 20 exclusive copies of their card they were heavily compensated.
I’ll be happy to admit you’re right but there isn’t enough support in my humble opinion. How much did you buy the Poliwrath for if you don’t mind me asking?
I’m sorry nestea but you wanted a debate and I’m waiting for my plane so I’m happy to give it to you lol

I bought them all through ebay. The information I have provided is accurate and basically irrefutable. You can check bulbapedia they even have an accurate image of the design card there. I understand you being a skeptic, but I have done my research and I own a lot of prize cards.

This right here is my only concern. I do somewhat agree with @raichuforyou when he says the glossy finish is for cards that were meant to be peeled off a sheet.

Cards like Card File Electabuzz and Playmat Slowpoke don’t have any gloss, and are from the same year.

Bilingual Exeggutor is another good example of Glossy Vs Mat finishes. One was given away to participants and the other was a peel away card as we all already know. If Glossy wasn’t strictly for peel away sheets, then I don’t see why both wouldn’t be one way or another.

I think the answer to all this is to find out if Glossy is the way it is for the sole purpose of it being peeled off a sheet.

Only way to find out is if a winner or someone who knows someone who won the contest back in the day she’s some light on it.

I’d say it’s pretty interesting to ‘discover’ an old rare card that had its rarity buried due to mass reprinting, like the recently ‘discovered’ Imakuni card.