Information about variants in German base set energies?

Does anyone know why the wotc unlimited german fighting energy has 2 versions? One with illustrator in black and one in white. 1st edition has it in white but the unlimited version seems difficult to find in white.

I dont collect these but someone on reddit asked and I figured Id see if anyone knew or had noticed before.

9 Likes

I’ve never seen this either. It’s most likely a typesetting error similar to HP 50 Vulpix, D. efending Beedrill, length length Bulbasaur, energy symbol Diglett, etc.

1 Like

Does this only occur in German energies and not other European languages? But yeah it definitely feels like a typesetting error since you can barely see the illustrator with black text.

1 Like

I dont really know myself but based on a quick ebay search german is the only one that has the difference so far. Most other languages i saw have the illustrator in white.

The timeline for how it happened has me confused because why would they change it from 1st editions unless it was possibly from a theme deck or product that came later.

Was hoping someone had more details about german base set cards and could possibly shine some light on it.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. I don’t have any information concerning this, but I do still have some old-school German energy cards. All the fighting ones are unlimited and have all the lettering in white. They probably came from booster packs.

1 Like