Indent or Paranoia?

I’ve read testimonies on here from people who’ve received PSA 6’s due to slight indents, often caused by binder rings. I’m wondering if this card is one such example of a binder ring indent, or if I’m living out the microscope meme. I’d like some other opinions, if anyone’s dealt with these before. Thanks.

I have psa 6s with way bigger dents than that. So not sure if they just say a dent is a dent or they look at the severity of it

1 Like

Usually the binder intents will be on the other side of the card, but it certainly looks like a feint impression of some kind.

For such a small indent I think it would be hit/miss as far as whether PSA would deduct anything. I don’t think you’re meme worthy just yet, but close. :joy:

1 Like

I deal with this on every single card of mine basically. There’s always some feature of the card where it’s ambiguous whether or not it’s actually a flaw or even there at all. In your case, it does look like there’s a very light indent. Personally, I wouldn’t consider it NM because of it, but it’s very possible PSA will miss it. I recently cracked a PSA 8 FRLG Charizard ex with a deeper indentation than that. If the grader doesn’t turn the card toward the light in the right way, they might miss it. Depending on what card it is, it might still be worth it to submit.

1 Like

Should have been labeled as dented in listing with clear photos of damage. If you want to return it I’d go for it if it wasn’t shown. It’s not like we can see the actual listing to know who’s fault it is. Also what condition did you buy it in? You can always get a partial refund and keep the card if you want it but are somewhat disappointed.

1 Like

It was listed as NM; it’s an unlimited Dark Charizard holo. I’ll probably grade it even with this flaw. The card looks good enough that I’d be happy with it in my collection even if it gets a 6, I just wasn’t sure if this could actually be an indent or if I was overthinking it.

2 Likes

Ok I’ve been in your exact situation before and have wanted to keep the card. But if it’s labeled as near mint I would get a 20-50 percent partial refund. Near mint will never have a dent or crease. If it does it’s mislabeled. Not trying to sound like a stickler but it’s clearly miss listed and if you don’t say anything they will do the same thing to next buyer thinking dents are ok for near mint which they aren’t. Hope this helps. If it’s a $50 card I’d ask for $25 back or at least $15 for example.

1 Like

should have, would have, could have…if its listed as nm and the only thing is this, its not mint. its not graded and maybe thinking about it like, maybe this person is not fine tooth combing these cards? maybe they looked at 100 cards that day? ultimately if the dent offends you that much, send it back

1 Like

Glad you will grade it anyways. If it was listed as NM and you come up with this for a refund, you deserved a punch xD I doubt this will be a PSA 6 only for that, as stated earlier they may even miss it. Good luck

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would be a bit much to return it. It almost certainly was just an honest mistake on the grader’s part. I find flaws like this on tons of cards I buy as ‘NM,’ but I usually don’t do anything unless it’s a flaw that’s very hard to miss.

1 Like

I’d pay the near mint price or that card. You had to blow it up and shine light on it just to barely see it. C’mon man…

3 Likes

That is basically nothing, I wouldn’t worry about it. Also NM does not = flawless.

1 Like

Oh man, I have a LOT of cards to sell you lol. Maybe I’m too anal, but I’m just not sure how one can consider a card with an indentation NM. Some border nicks or very faint, sparse scratches? No problem. But I don’t think OP is wrong in recognizing an indentation for what it is - damage, and absolutely too much for a NM card. That said, I wouldn’t return it because the person who labeled it NM more than likely just made an honest mistake. Still a highly significant flaw, though, and I’d be equally concerned as OP about it.

2 Likes

from what I can see I would consider that near mint. I mean even with these close up high quality pictures it’s still barely noticeable. I wouldn’t even expect a seller to notice that tbh.

1 Like

Thanks for the input everyone. I wasn’t considering returning this card because it’s an easy thing to miss, and honestly the card is still pretty much near mint even if you consider this damage. Holding a seller responsible for something like this is silly I think, but as for whether it could affect a PSA grade is a different animal. I just wanted to gauge others’ perceptions of this sort of thing for when I’m evaluating future cards down the road.

1 Like

It is so subtle. I can show you photos of Mint Graded Cards I have with more obvious imperfections.

1 Like

And I have zero I’d sell to you lol.

2 Likes

Lol true. The guys worried about this asking for refunds like this shouldn’t be buying raw cards. Something like this would probably get missed in grading as it’s almost impossible to see and doesn’t affect the appeal of the card. If you get a 6 regrade it and you’ll get the 10 next time :joy:

1 Like

Doesn’t PSA dock a card to a 6 automatically for damage like this?

(PSA could always miss the damage, but that’s a separate issue.)

Lol fair enough. As I said, I would never return a card due to something like this. I more just have an issue with it being called ‘NM,’ but to each their own. It’s why I personally don’t assign grades to most of the cards I sell – I would call this ‘MP’ and it would end up getting fewer views as a result – but with pictures that exhibit the flaw (but without assigning a grade to the card) one could likely sell OP’s card for NM prices on eBay. Ultimately, the most important thing is not the grade assigned to a raw card but how well the photos exhibit the condition of it.